Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi,

It's been a long time since I went to Jamaica, but here are the things I remember:

It will be hot, but take a light jacket to wear in the evenings as the trade winds can make it a lot cooler. I don't think I needed one every night, but there were some evenings I was very glad to have one.

Definitely take insect repellent. And take a tropical strength one. I used the regular kind and came home covered in bites. As for bug spray, you shouldn't have too many problems in a hotel, but it may be worth having some to clear the room last thing at night, if you've had the balcony doors open.

The two things we did that really stood out were:

Climbing Dunn's River Falls - this is practically on your doorstep at Ocho, but you do need to be reasonably fit to do this.
Luminous Lagoon near Falmouth - this would be an evening trip and you can eat there too. For info see http://www.glisteningwaters.com

The two things we really wanted to do but didn't (ran out of money - we were on a tight budget :( ):

Rafting on the Martha Brae River
Crocodile Park - where they filmed the crocodile stepping stones scene in Live and Let Die.

Hope this is of some help. Enjoy your trp! :cheers
Hi, we went to jamaica last year and would agree with all that sunstruck has said.
You absolutely have to do the dunns river falls, its a right laugh !
The luminous laggon is fantastic, but you have to make sure to go when there is little or no moon or the waters won't glow as bright.
we did 'river tubing ' on the white river, that was awesome, no safety equpment whatsoever, just sat on a giant inner tube going down very fast rapids !!!
watch out for sandflies at dusk on the beach, loads of people had to go to the doctor in the hotel because their legs were a right mess, over 200 bites, some had, cost them loads for injections and cream from the doc.
Best thing to do is go to a camping shop and get the industral strength repellant, it worked for us.
Also, if you go to any markets, prepared to be hounded to death from the hawkers, really got on my nerves after a while .
Have a great time !!!
I stayed at an hotel in Runaway Bay, which is very close to Ocho Rios in Sept 2009.
The hotels in the area are generally great, good food, and usually all-inclusive. The private hotel beaches are very good. Yes - DO take tropical strength mosquito repellent - and always use it. The mozzies there have teeth!

Ocho Rios is an interesting town to see, though if you haven't experienced the hustlers before, you may find it a bit uncomfortable. You will be offered drugs on most street corners. Some of the locals can be slightly threatening - even my Lonely Planet guide recommends that one avoids certain parts of town.
I foolishly ignored it and did venture "south of the clock tower" to take photographs, and I really did NOT enjoy the experience.
The public beaches in Ocho Rios are fenced and require payment to enter.
There are several American style shopping malls which have security guards to keep out the locals - and most holidaymakers restrict themselves to shopping in these.
And it is very definately not a town to wander around after dark, most folks stay inside their hotels in the evenings.

Dunns River Falls is truly a MUST see, and if you are fairly fit, you must try the climb. There's an escape part way up if one finds the going a bit tough. The guides who help you climb are excellent, and can be recognised by having up to ten guests cameras around their necks with which they take your photos for you. Take beach shoes or trainers if you intend to climb, you are NOT allowed to climb barefoot for safety reasons.

The trip to Port Antonio I did, is usually combined with rafting on the Rio Grande, and it makes for an excellent full day out - you see a really pleasant, beautiful side to Jamaica. On the way you pass Ian Fleming's home and other famous residences.

I did the trip to Kingston - and I'd rate it very poor. You aren't really allowed off the coach to walk around because quite frankly, Kingston is not a safe city. You will see more razor wire surrounding dirty old buildings than anywhere else you have ever been. There's no real historical sites to visit - anything ancient has been left to rot or built over.
Thanks to you all for the advice - really appreciated!!

Will definitely start looking up some of the places you've suggested.

Also thanks for the advice about safety, certainly looking forward to my holiday but do want to come back in one piece!!
We have been to Jamaica a couple of times and absolutely love both the island and the people. I agree with ukbill about being careful but you have to put it into context and just use some common sense. The vast majority of Jamaicans are brilliant people and very friendly but a lot of the island's people are poverty stricken, even in some of the tourist areas. As this is your first trip to the Caribbean it can be quite intimidating going out into town but Please don't let this put you off, just go with an open mind. Here are just a few things to expect. It is guaranteed that you will be hassled in the town for things like taxis, hair braiding, shopping etc. and you may even be asked if you "have any bad habits". At the end of the day, all they are trying to do is feed themselves and their families and this is normal. All you need to do is smile and say "no thank you" and they will leave you alone in the vast majority of cases. This is actually the same across most of the Caribbean and is not just in Jamaica. The key to enjoying yourselves is to go with the knowledge that you WILL get hassled but just accept that it is part of their culture and understand the reasons why they do it, then I think you will have a more enjoyable experience. Talk to the locals, they really are friendly. They can talk English Premier football for hours. :D If you want hassle free shopping you need to go straight to the Island Village shopping centre at the cruise terminal, that was the only place we found hassle free.

It will normally be hot and fairly humid all day and night at that time of year, but take a light coat or jumper etc just in case you have a cool evening or two. Nobody seems to have mentioned that Sept and Oct are still in the rainy season. Don't worry about that as this normally means that it is scorching hot then the clouds come over in the afternoon and it bounces it down for about 20 minutes then the sun comes out again and an hour later you don't even know it has rained. It may be worth taking a very light waterproof that you can just roll up and put in a bag or pocket.

Tipping is a personal thing but can cost you a lot if you overdo it. I normally tip the bar tenders, cleaners and waiters a dollar or two every few days but NOT every visit.

When we went to Ocho Rios (also late Sept/early Oct) I can't actually remember being bothered too much with mosquitos but I would still definitely take some good repellant.

Cheers

Keith
I was in Jamaica this year got back about 3 weeks ago, although I did not stay at Ocho Rios I was at Mo'Bay. I went to Dunns Rivers Falls of course it's a must and a beach in Ocho Rios they are beautiful. Also in Ocho Rios is the Canopy tour if you a feeling brave, travel up by canopy lift (like a ski-lift) then Zip Line down - my son and I combined this trip with the Dunns River Falls for the whole day excellent day trip cost was about £60 each. If you do it don't forget your camera - have loads and loads of pics

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz286/sashathecat/DSCF0838.jpg

This is the Bottom of Dunns River Falls.
Hi Splat

Are you by any chance going to Couples Tower Isle?

Kaz
Thought so, we go to Couple Sans Souci in November, I cannot wait.

Have you been on the couples message board.

http://couplesjamaica.biz/mb/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Hope that link works
Hello Splak,

I was in Jamaica last year in August and had a great time!

I took some pictures while I was there, hope they help.

Dunns River Falls - Amazing and a MUST see!

http://www.xpertweb.co.uk/jamaica/dunns_river1.jpg http://www.xpertweb.co.uk/jamaica/dunns_river2.jpg

Martha Brae Rafting - Extremly relaxing!

http://www.xpertweb.co.uk/jamaica/martha_brae1.jpg http://www.xpertweb.co.uk/jamaica/martha_brae2.jpg

David
Hi David

The photo's look fab!!!

Thanks - really looking forward to our 2 weeks there
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.