Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Riu Ocho Rios
41 Posts
Don't know if they'll help but there are reviews HERE.

Pippy :D
Thanks Pippy, they were a great help :D
From what I can make out, the rooms on the higher floors have the concrete balconies so I'm guessing that's where ours would be. I think I'll wait until tomorrow now though and phone before I book online, just to be sure! :)
The resort sounds fantastic though and I'm very excited already!!

Sunaholic.
Hi Sunaholic

Girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel in October and all I will say is we had a fantastic time! Hotel is just over a year old. We stayed in a deluxe room with full sea view, own optics, beer. coke, water etc in your own room, awesome. 7 restaurants and food was great.

You will have a fantastic time and girlfriend wants to go back but this time taking our respective children and there partners for my 50th next year, trouble is SHE wants us to pay for the lot!!

Anything else you want to know just ask on here and I will do my best to assist or you can PM me?

Nick
Thanks for the info Nick. :)

I finally got chance to phone yesterday and found out that the limited sea view just means that the room will be on the side rather than the front, so we booked!! :hyper

We go on the 5th of April and I am so excited.

Just wondering how long the transfer is?

Also, if you can think of any tips or advice that would be great. :D

Sunaholic.
Hi Sunaholic

Transfer time is about 2 hours as lots of the roads were/are getting major upgrades in time for the cricket world cup. Mind you as you are going in April they should all be complete as world cup is in March.

As stated we went in October so do not know how busy it is April but 6 of the restaurants use a booking system! If they are still using the same booking system it opens at 10:00 in the Bob Marley Bar, I advise you to get there at 09.00 and book your restaurants for the whole week. You can only book the Sir Gordon Richards restaurant on the day. I recommend you try all the restaurants but especially the Sir Gordon Richards, the Japenese restaurant and the Mandaley restaurant, when going to these three you will need to wear smart trousers (no jeans).

As you are only there for week I do not know if you planning on going on any trips but if you do I thoroughtly recommend the Dunns River Falls and although expensive swimming with dolphins.

I am positive you will have a fantastic time and I am jealous!!

If you want to know anything else that comes to mind just ask?

All the best

Nick
Thanks for the tips Nick :D

The 2 hour transfer isn't great, but hopefully it will all be worth it!!

We will definately book the restaurants like you said as we enjoy the a' la carte options.

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but if I do I'll be back.... :D

Lucy.
hi all we are going to ochio rios in sept this year........can any one give us some info on what to see and do (nothing to energetic) haha and maybe some idea on costs into places we have been told it is best to take us dollars is this right? and what are the chances of hurricaines at this time of year. also we are staying at the rui ocho rios anyone know what its like .
thanks
You can read general Jamaica advice HERE and HERE.

RIU Ocho Rios thread HERE :wink:

Pippy :D
we didnt stay in the riu but we went in there 1 night looked fun but was then asked to leave it is massive though.
go to margaritaville it is wicked drinks are good and so is music :D
Ocho Rios- well you at least have to go and have a look at Dunn's River Falls- it's THE place to go at Ocho..... if you can't climb it then at least get some photos. I've been to the Margaritaville at Ocho Rios and didn't enjoy it. I thought it was quite scruffy.
Hurricanes- if anyone could predict what this season will be like-...
2005 was rough in the Caribbean. But, in 2006 there were none.
You are going in peak season- at the end of summer,and they are predicting some already.
Hi Tigger27

Girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel last October and we had a fantastic time. Weather was great only had one serious day of rain and that was in the early hours on our first day and we were still in bed!! Became cloudy most days around 4-4.30 with a few spots of rain but nothing to worry about.

We loved this hotel and hope you all do to. 7 restaurants and food was fantastic and entertainment team were out of this world, best we had ever seen. We are RIU fans and this was our fourth holiday in one of there hotels, like them so much we are now priveledge members.

As for trips we went on four whilst we were there, as someone mentioned earlier DUNNS RIVER FALLS is a must we also went rafting down the Martha Bray, horse riding in the sea and we swam with the dolphins. We booked all our holidays through the rep but you can do them all independently probably cheaper!! Swimming with the dolphins was the most expensive and it cost around £200 for two. One tip for you, tip the maids daily around $2 and they will look after you very well.

Anything else you need/want to know either PM me or ask on here and I will do my best to assist.

Wish I was going again there again!! Am jealous.

Regards

Nick
Hi, we stayed at this hotel in April, so if there is anything you'd like to know, just ask :D

I have done a review, but it's under 'clubhotel Riu Ocho Rios' as oppose to 'Riu Ocho Rios'. Only saying that as I just looked and thought my review had disappeared :lol:

Sunaholic.
thanks all who have replied...........am i right in guesing the us dollar is best to take out there and do we need any jamacian dollars at all.......also what sort of sun creams/insect repellent is adviceable............and is it right that they dont like you walking around town in swimwear?.......gosh i have a million questions to ask...........maybe it would be best for someone to tell me all save me asking :lol:
Just curious- why would you want to "walk around town in swimwear"?
walking round town in swimwear - it is preferred not to!!

ive been 3 times now and took jamacian dollars think we got more for our money but not too sure.

Dunns river was good but thats the only trip i have done as when i go i stay with family and travel the whole country!

have a good time :D
Hello tigger27, me and wife went here a few years ago and tuck U S dollars, what happens is you spend your U S and any change is given back in Jamaican Dollars. This is not to bad at the start of your holiday as you can then spend them as you go, when we paid for anything big say teashirts at the local market we asked them to give us any money back in U S. What you don't want to do is come home with any Jamaican Dollars as you will find it hard to change them back to Sterling, but you will be able to get your money back with U S dollars.

Dave
am i right in guesing the us dollar is best to take out there and do we need any jamacian dollars at all.......also what sort of sun creams/insect repellent is adviceable............and is it right that they dont like you walking around town in swimwear?.......gosh i have a million questions to ask...........maybe it would be best for someone to tell me all save me asking

Yeah we took American dollars too and that was fine :)
So far as suncream goes, we used factor 30. It was really hot - as you would imagine :D We run out halfway through and went down to factor 20 but we started to burn so had to buy some more from the shop there.

Sorry I don't know about the swimwear thing as I didn't go into town.

Sunaholic.
im note sure how to reply to anyone personally....... so emdia.........i didnt mean walking around town in just swimwear (i didnt word it right) i meant say a bikini top and shorts or bikini and sarong........i just thought id heard somewhere that you need to cover up a bit while in the town.........thanks to all for the advice they have given ........very grateful
Is this an all Inclusive hotel ?.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.