Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi

When are you going?

We are thinking of going in July, booking Thomas Cook flight and then the hotel. We normally do DIY now and have just got a taxi straight from the airport before but its a right hassle so I may just prebook this time even though its much more expensive.
Hi going 17 june can only go this date unfortunately.
have you been to egypt before ??
Hi

Yes we have been to Sharm and Hurghada before. Hurghada was at the original Titanic and the kids loved the waterslides, even though they were only 6 and 2 when we went in 2006.

I am sure you will have a fab time if you go.

Just wish we could go now as we usually like to go May half term.
We went to Titanic a couple of years ago - request room in main hotel rather than in gardens as there is a disco which can get a bit loud!! Enjoyed slides pool etc. There is a free 'train' to beach across the road through another hotel. It's not too far too walk but when it's soooooo hot the train ride is much better!! Go on Travel Republic website select transfers put in your flight details and it should be something like £20 return for 2 adults.(They do hotel too). Good choice of food. Beach/pool towels provided so no need to carry weight in suitcases!! Enjoy.

:cheers
Hi thanks for the tips !

have heard some scare stories from a nurse at work today, telling me not to eat any salad, not to have any ice in drinks and not to let my daughter have any drinks that are on tap (even coke lemonade etc ) because there might have been local water added to it - I came away thinking I would have to pack all my own food !!!!!!!!!!!is that advice a bit over the top?? were the soft drinks on tap or in bottles and did you have any problems ??

Have been to turkey numerous times and have never had any probs but she seemed to think egypt would be worse ??
Hi,

The twice we have been we have never had a problem with illness and the first time we went my son was only 11 months old and ate what we ate. The Titanic had self serve soft drinks which my kids would just help themselves too (from a pump) and again they were fine. We do generally stay away from salad on holiday just incase but have had ice in our drinks as the hotels we have stayed in say ice is made from bottled water.

We have made friends with people in the hotels that did end up with tummy bugs but they went into town lots and on different trips so I think thats where they got it from as we didn't go into town with having young kids. Your not 100% safe no matter where you go, so I wouldn't like to say you will be 100% fine, but if your cautious and go prepared you should have a good holiday.

People used to say I was mad taking such a young kid away to Egypt, but I had them covered in suntan lotion and a UV all in one swim suit and they never got burnt once and as I said they ate what we ate. The only problem we have ever had with the kids was when we went to Margarita and my daughter (then 3) didn't drink enough and was dehydrated. Now we let them drink anything (the good thing about self serve as they like going up and getting it themselves so they drink more) even if it means coke and lemonade all day as at least its getting the fluids in which they need in the heat.

How old is your daughter?
Hi
My daughter is ten so its not too bad and believe me I wont have any trouble keeping her away from the salad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have decided Im not going to stress about what might never happen and will, as you say, just use common sense and be cautious - I always take factor 50 for her anyway so will be plastering it on (much to her disgust Im sure !!). Am now busy trying to lose lots of weight before I go haha,
Are the rooms okay at the titanic ??
Hi

If we worried about everything we would stay locked up in our houses wouldn't we?
I am sure you will have a fab time. I always use Pizz buin once a day and also Boots Once suntan lotion. Find them fab for kids as you don't have to keep applying lotion every hour or so. They do say they last all day but we generally apply it a couple of times a day to make sure it hasn't rubbed off, especially going on all those waterslides. My kids are fair skinned and like I say have never burned with it on.

The room we had at the original Titanic was really large as we got a family room which meant a seperate area for the kids to sleep in which was fab when they went to bed at 10 as we could then sit out on the balcony and not disturb them.

Shame we were not going the same time as my daughter always makes friends with kids a couple of years older than her, mainly cos she can swim and loves the big waterslides.
We have been to Hurghada and Sharm about half a dozen times or so and we have never suffered although have been in hotels where some people did fall ill. Apparently, if you have Actimel type drinks or similar yoghurts a couple of weeks before you go it helps 'good bacteria' in your stomach. Don't know if it's true or not!!! What does work for me against insect/mossie bites is if I take an odourless garlic tablet every day for 2 weeks before and then every day during the hol. I used to be a magnet for the nasties but last couple of years have used the capsules and no bites!!!These tablets are easily available and not expensive. Titanic always used to provide free bottled water in the fridge in your room every day. Rooms in the main hotel really good size - we had a massive bed (bigger than king size) great bathroom/shower and a 'lounge' area also a large balcony. It really was an excellent standard/value for an enjoyable family holiday and you probably won't see an awful lot of your children as there is plenty to keep them occupied!!
Just chill and enjoy!! :sun2
hi nicolaw, yes it would have been lovely to know there was going to be at least 1 other english child of around the same age going !!! as its not school holiday time there probably wont be many about (according to some things ive read its mainly east european guests) but im sure the slides will keep her happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks to hrh554 for the tip about garlic caps and am going to try that because I get bitten constantly , i just seem to attract the midgies, even camping in the lakes i came home with 32 bites (midgie bites of course!!) - but my hubby doesnt get bitten at all !!

there is some confustion about their being two hotels one the older and one the newer , is the one with the aqua park the older one and is that the one you went to??
Hi,

I get bitten like crazy too, so I think I will have to try the garlic capsules.

We stayed at the older hotel the Titanic resort and aquapark. The Titanic Beach is the new one and I think has slightly less slides but I could be wrong. We are wanting to go to the new Titanic Beach.

Are you going to the old one or the new one then?
Well, after a lot of confusion, have emailed who i have booked with who have confirmed that I have booked the old one !!!!!! fancy calling it the same name :think !!!!!!!

Cant wait to go now !!!!

someone sent me a link to the NEW titanic hotel website and it looks great !! will go and have a nosey when we are there !
Yes its difficult to work out which hotel some agents are refering to.

You will still have a fab time in the Old Titanic. There should be more british kids around in June as its more well known.

Have a great time and let me know if you go to the new titanic to have a look around.
we went to the titanic 2 years ago and had a brilliant time, if you have any problems with an upset stomach go to the chemist in town and tell the man at the back of the counter and he will give you a yellow box of tablets they work within 24 hours. I always get bites when we go to turkey or greece but when we went here I did not get any bites
Hi
thanks for the reply - glad to know you enjoyed it and im really looking forward to going now!!
unfortunately, I seem to be a midgie magnet - i got bitten on the leg six times a few days ago just hanging the washing out - so I think I'll take the garlic caps and keep my fingers crossed - maybe it will be too hot for a lot of mossies :tup
When are you going Nicolaw have you booked yet? Were going there on the 15th August and coincidently my daughter is 10. Like you said it would be nice to know there would be some brits around also my son is 13.
We are looking at going around the 15th - 18th August for around 12 nights if possible. Trying to decide between Sharm and here. Will hopefully make up our minds soon and let you know.

Has anyone been to the new hotel yet?

Thanks
Were going for 12 nights and it's funny as my daughter usually makes friends with girls younger than herself. If you use medhotels use "med summer 10" as a discount code to get -10%. off. Yes it was a hard choice, which Titanic for us, but more water slides, and to be able to go into the other 2 hotels for a change of scenery just beat having more restauraunts and a beach and building work.

If you do go out on a Friday IE 15th August with TC you will be on the new Airbus I think it's A330? Anyway the big benifit is that all the seats have there own personal touch screen in the seat infront of you with a joystick on a retractable cord in your seat great for kids and adults with games, quizes, music, films, TV series, pause rewind etc etc oh and a camera view in flight showing below the aircraft! changes to cockpit view on landing! But this is not yet used on the wednesday flights the plane I mean not the camera lol.

Here is the only review of the new one I have seen it may help.
  • Edited by David 2008-06-26 20:23:22
    Post edited due to copyright infringement. The content was not copyright free as you suggested. Please do not reproduce material from other websites.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.