Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi Tiggs,

Forget US$ take Sterling. Exchange rates are better in Egyptian banks.

Put in a search for currency and you'll find loads of debate on the subject.
Carrot - what would you advise is best currency for tipping ? Have read that Egyptian small currency hard to get and a lot use US $ for tipping. I take it pound coins would be no good ? Sorry if this seems a silly question - usually tip in currency of country I'm in, but reading other posts many don't in Egypt. :?

Many thanks

Liz
I didnt bother taking much cash with me at all - you can use the ATMs for exchanging cash and withdrawing it - its all automated and pretty simple...

As for the tipping question, use only Egyptian currency - it is no problem to get smaller notes - just insist on it when buying water or something...

Also, don't get carried away with the amount you tip people - restaurants etc - keep it to 10% of bill, like back home - taxi guys, I tended to give them 5 Egyptian Pounds on top of their fare, dependant upon the negociated fare.
Bonnie Lass,

I agree with Mooby regarding tipping. If you give them English pounds, they cannot change coins at a bank so they have to rely on trying to get British tourists to change them.

You can get small denomination notes as Mooby says, you only have to ask. 5 or 10 LE to an Egyptian worker is a good tip.
1) I going to the Conrad in Sharm in August, party of 4, two adults & two children. This is an AI holiday. Excluding excursions, how much spending money do yo think is required? I know this is like asking how long is a piece of string, but this is our firsT AI holiday.

2) How do you suggest I take the money, ie. which currency. I have read that you get more for your money if you take GB pounds or is it best to take traverlers?

Your help with these matters please.
personal choice but i always take sterling and about £50 in local where ever i go
as for how much to take depends on what you plan to do but if you have it take it is my philosophy i would hate to run ou or have to compromise for the sake of a few extra £100's
I'm I right in saying you get a far better rate with sterling?
Finches,

If you take a different currency, e.g. US$, then you lose when you buy them and then again when you change them into Egyptian pounds. Sterling is a preffered currency in Egypt now so yes, take a few Egyptian pounds to get you started, then use Sterling or your bank/credit cards.
Just a thought regarding holiday money - don't forget that if you are holidaying in a tourist resort you will be able to get cash from the ATMs, almost certainly at a better rate than those currently being offered by bureaux de change over here.

I'm recently back from a Nile cruise, and changed £200 sterling at the Post Office (commission-free) before I went, receiving back LE 1900 at a rate of around 9.5 LE to the £. Having spent much of it on booking excursions :fly , I then got LE 1000 out of the cashpoint at the National Bank of Egypt in Aswan (right opposite where our boat was docked - no back-street searching!) using my Switch/Maestro debit card, and having just checked my bank statement it came at a better rate of 10.196 LE to the £ (although charge of £1.75stlg for use of card abroad), 'costing' me only around £98 stlg.

It's not for everyone, but I think next time I go to Egypt (the first time will not be the last! Am converted!! :wink: ) I'll be taking minimal pre-exchanged currency and will get the rest out of ATMs whilst there. Assuming exchange rates as quoted in the UK remain as they are, that is! :)
Take your sterling in notes of 10s, 20s, and 50s and change in Egypt unless you like paying more than necessary.

ATMs are useful but the rate will always be less attractive than changing cash.

Do not change in the UK.

All the airports in Egypt have bank exchange counters before the passport control as that is where you buy the visa. One of you goes and waits in the passport queue and the other goes to change a bit of cash and, if needed, a visa.

The egyptian pound is always in line with the dollar so when the dollar goes back up ( as recently ) then you get less LE for your quid.

Go to http://www.nsgb.com.eg/ for the latest exchange rates in Egypt and see the difference !
Hi All

This might sound like a silly question but would £Sterling Travellers Cheques still be ok then just change them in your hotel ?

I will take about £50 worth of Egypt £'s to get me started too!
You will still get a good rate for TCs but probably you will only be able to change them in the banks in Sharm itself.
Swiss, surely we shall be able to exchange TCs in our hotels?? Got excellent rates in the Sheraton Luxor last year cashing TCs?? We are going to the CSR so dont want to have to be getting a taxi for miles just to cash a cheque :?: :?:
Just a word of warning about the Egyptian Pound, the Egyptains can be quite crafty at the Pyramids when buying drinks, there be a guy waiting for you when you come out of the Great Pyramid.

My mum bought me and my dad a bottle of water from the seller, she gave the seller Egyptain 50.00 note as this is all she had, the seller gave her change back for a £5.00, she got her change back as our kind tour leader intervented and got the cash back. There £5.00 have different names.

has anyone else had a problem like this?
You will almost certainly experience situations like ratbag mentions but you must remember that this sort of thing happens in many places, not just Egypt. Most westerners are considered to be "rich" in the poorer countries and therefore "fair game" for the few who are out to deceive. Just be on your guard at all times where money is concerned.
thanks for the replies but do I need to take all english or some egyptian. Also do we need to take £1.00 coins for tips.

Many thanks

Kazee
Kazee, Hi,
Personally I always take a little in Egyptian Pounds for use on arrival. Sterling is readily accepted in Egypt, even in a lot of shops. Presently, US$ are also a good bet to take as you get a great rate to the pound and they too are welcome in Egypt.
Please DONT take pound coins for tipping. The people cannot cash them at a bank and therefore have to get other tourists to change them for Egyptian pounds. They can change US 1 dollar bills, no problem, so use them if you have no Egyptian money.
Credit/debit cards are also no problem to use and there are a lot of ATM machines in resort.
Small amount of Egyptian to get you over the first day, in case you need a cab, or pay for a snack. The rest in Sterling to change into LE when you are there as you will get a better rate.

Doe
Please can someone give me advice
I am going to Sharm in 10 days time, and i wanted to know whether it is better to change uk pounds to egyptian pounds over there or before i go.
Where is the better rate normally?

Also is it better to take uk pounds or us dollars
if us dollars, can you spend us dollars in the resteraunts / bars etc ..

Sorry for all the questions, i have never been to egypt before, so i wanted to get the best advice possible from you experts on here.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.