Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Re: Changing Money
140 Posts
thanks for the advice
what is the usual amount for tipping taxi drivers and hotel staff and resteraunts?
Nothing "set in stone" for tipping but no need to go too mad as wages are very low in egypt. Play it by ear and use your own common sense.
Actually i would like clarification on tipping too - What would you say is *not too much/dont go to mad*?

I have been to egypt ( 7 years ago ) and more recently Goa, and always find that half the money i take, is spent on tips to everyone! Its my own fault i know, but if i have a guideline as to what is an acceptable tip, then not only could the kids be aware of not giving to much, also my over generous hubby!
Absolutely no need for travellers cheques these days, especially when there are plenty of banks and atm's around. Many regular travellers take advantage of the Nationwide account, as Michelle says, from which you can withdraw cash in foreign currency with no charges. I have always found the rate to be good, when paying abroad with a Nationwide credit card too.

If you must take tc's however, you should have no trouble cashing them at any bank in Sharm or, probably, in your hotel.
Hi,
I know there are already a few topics on the go about money etc, but having never been to Sharm I'm getting myself all confused!! What is the best currancy to take to Sharm El Sheikh? I have heard to take some USD for tipping and also some Egyptian Pounds for spending etc, but then also seen stuff about just taking sterling and to get it changed over there.

Clean cut answers please....having never been there before whats the best thing to do??!! :cry

Many thanks!!
PS - We go on Monday....Yipee.... :cheers
Hi

1) Take some sterling over there £50-100
2) Take sterling to change at the hotel or bureau de change when you get there.
3) Changing sterling into currency here in the UK you will lose out, not a fabulous rate.
4) Another alternative is.....get yourself a post office credit card or Nationwide flex account, then you can withdraw free of charge from the ATM when you need it:)
5) Never tip in sterling pound coins, they cannot change them.

Hope that helps.

Michelle x
sonesta beach resort queen :sun2
Hi, BB,

You do not need to worry about finding atm's in Old Sharm as most of the larger hotels now have machines in the lobby. There is no problem with going into a different hotel than that which you are staying at to use their cashpoint.
A short taxi ride to Naama Bay and you will also find a plethora of atm's

I always use a Nationwide card in Egypt and have never had a problem in Sharm, Nuweiba, Luxor, Aswan or Cairo in finding an atm.

Hope this helps.
Great rate for sterling over there, either good old old fashioned travellers cheques [you can keep an eye on your spend then] or cash to change. No worries then of card getting swallowed up! If you are intending using your card in the hole in the wall, remember to alert your bank that you are travelling to egypt so they dont block it.
A colleague that works with my Husband has recently stayed at The Marriott, Hurghada and had a fantastic time. We have been considering a winter holiday to Egypt although I am not so sure now as I have to follow a strict gluten free diet and it appears that all of the hotels that we have seen in the brochures are B&B or AI. We cannot find anywhere that does self catering - does anyone know if there are any? Anyway, this man passed on lots of info for us to look at and gave us some Egyptian money!

Just out of curiosity ... If I do not book this holiday should I give this money back - as I have no idea how much it is worth in English pounds ....

I have:

4 x 50 Egyptian pounds
1 x 5 Egyptian pounds and
8 x 1 Egyptian pounds - that are very dirty and past their best!

Thank you.
Edit - sorry maths rubbish - £20-21.

Bex.
:rofl less than £6 :duh

No wonder he gave it away instead of going back to exchange it .... :rofl

Thanks Bexmark26
Ooops - missed the interim post by Bexmark but guess a figure of £6 quid was quoted then edited..!

It around £20-worth, but more inmportant the LE5 (approx 50p) and LE1 (approx) 10p are ideal tips for the guy with the loo roll at the airport and the bloke who throws your cases into the transfer coach (especially the LE 1 notes).
Hi google Central Bank of Egypt for up to date rates. You normally get a much better rate exchanging in egypt rather than UK.
Trying to read thru all the posts here about Egyptian currency etc .... we are off to Egypt for the first time in just over 2 weeks time.
I take it we are best to take a little Egyptian pounds - maybe £50 worth and then it is ok to take English currency and cash it over there? Are we best to cash it in the hotel (or maybe exchange rate is less in hotel?) or are there exchange shops in Naama Bay?
Hi
I am off to taba in 2 weeks for a relaxing break. We are going all inclusive but I am just wondering which currency is the best to take?
Egyptian pounds, English sterling or travellers cheques?
I am only going to take about £100
I would be grateful for any help
Tracy :sun2
Take english sterling with you and exchange over there, you will get the best rate that way.
Thank you for your reply ElleDee
I was going to get egyptian pounds here so thank you for the advice
:tup
We're off to Egypt on 18th Jan, and I've just been looking at exchange rates. It seems to be about 7.33 at the moment. Will it be a better exchange rate over in Egypt? I was probably just going to change about £50 worth here and get the rest there. Someone's told me to get a small amount of American Dollars for tipping, or shall I just give pounds, and what would be an acceptable tip to give to the person who takes the case to the room, cleaners, waiters etc?

Thank you

Jane
Personally as they are Egyptian I feel its more appropriate to tip in LE. If you tip in sterling then they are on everyones case to get you to change it. Also tipping in sterling will mean you overtip.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.