Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
the press release of 15th June from PCS made no mention of air traffic controllers, where did the scare story start?
Sorry about starting the other thread David.
Its the passport control workers that are possibly going to be striking.
Hope not, we leave on the 30th too..
Robo, you only go through passport control when coming back into the UK , you should have no problem leaving the UK
well, maybe. If the plan for a shortage of Border Agency staff checking incoming passengers was to limit their number then the airlines would have to think - would it be sensible to fly loaded planes out to bring them back empty?

As long as no terror alerts kick off at the same time that would be politically unacceptble. So what's likely to happen is that a few a managers and possibly Special Branch officers will check a small proportion of passports whilst TV news crews film them, an announcement will be made that there was little disruption and at the end of the day 80% of incoming passengers will be unchecked. Government saves face with fingers crossed behind back.
steve8482 wrote:
well, maybe. If the plan for a shortage of Border Agency staff checking incoming passengers was to limit their number then the airlines would have to think - would it be sensible to fly loaded planes out to bring them back empty?

Thats a fair point, but are the airlines really bothered about that ? as soon as they park up the plane and open the door its not really their concern if passengers have to wait for ages to get through border control. plus it gives them more time to get your bags unloaded!!! as you say a face-saving contingency plan will be put in place.
Folks, I'm an air traffic controller and can categorically state that air traffic controllers (ATCO's) will not be going on strike. First of all ATCO's are not in PCS, they are members of a Union called Prospect. There has been a bit of strife recently over pay, but that was resolved yesterday by a landslide vote in favour of accepting the proposed pay offer.

Our assistants (ATSA's), however are in PCS. They are also being balloted about their pay offer, which is less than ATCO's and they are not happy. Their result is due next week some time. Early indications are that it will be a no. This could lead to some kind of industrial action. However, I'm guessing this will be fairly low key as when it is publicised what they get paid, what they do to earn that money and how much their pay offer is (9.2% over 2 years) the British public and press will tear them to pieces.

I'll keep you posted, but please do not worry as no ATCO's are going on strike. In the unlikely event that the ATSA's do take some kind of low level industrial action (an overtime ban), it won't be until the end of August at the earliest. :whoops
Update to my last. Our ATSA's pay ballot results were announced yesterday and they REJECTED their offer by 79% - 21%.

They have asked for talks to reccommence but are also considering industrial action. Any action will need to be ballotted and notified iaw UK law etc. Possibly expect some aggravation form approx end of August
i fly on the 30th aswell... does this mean there will be little disruption to our flight?

Thanks
There will be nil from an air traffic control point of view. I can't speak about Customs and immigration though.
Travellers warned to expect delays on arrival at UK ports and airports:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13953678

David :wave
I always expect a delay at UK Immigration!!
Thank goodness I caught the ferry to France from Dover today.

Judith
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.