Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
ronaldbiggs (you're not flying to brazil , are you?) Gatwick's website does state that there's no strike . but i think they might be working to rule , like not doing overtime! which doesn't really help on a bank hol. weekend ! not too sure about other affected airports , thats why the papers might be saying they are.
Hi Andy

No not Brazil again..... (poor guy got hammered by the Govt) just phoned Gatwick and they confirmed that there is a strike on and told me to contact my airline.... the only saving race for me is that I fly Thursday at 2.45pm. So might get away with it.

Thanks

Ron
ron, it depends who your flying with as some of the major airlines use swissport , but there are also 3 other handling agents who do other airlines.
Thanks Andy

Thomson (who I think use Swissport ) could be a long wait....

Ron :duh
A quote from in-house gatwick newspaper states that from midnight on Thursday 27th August the workers will refuse to cover overtime shifts and will work strictly to health and safety standards throughout the weekend. not sure which bit is the worst!

The company's biggest clients at Gatwick are Thomson, Flybe, Monarch and Virgin.

Take a light case , better chance of averting the health and safety police!!
There has been a lot of confusion and mis-reporting in recent days about the threatened strike action, with several websites reporting since 21 August that all industrial action has been postponed.

Some of those websites have published details of a union press release apparently confirming the fact, but what they have failed to realise is that the press release is dated 21 August 2008 and refers to the threatened industrial action last August Bank Holiday, which we were talking about here on the forums exactly a year ago.

However, both Stansted and Gatwick Airport websites are currently reporting that there will be no industrial action by Swissport staff over this Bank Holiday Weekend.

David :wave
Thanks for the replys

Where did you find the quote from In house newspaper ? If it is from Midnight 27th then I will be gone by then, however there will still be many perople who will be caught up in delays. The tip about the "Light Case" is spot on anything that is classed as a 2 man lift could be delayed.

Have seen several reports with reference to Aug bank hols delays last year but am still confused as I have been told by staff at Gatwick that there are still problems with baggage handlers and yet on the Web site it says that the planned industrial action by Swissport staff has been postponed and all flights are expected to operate as normal.

I am going to contact Thomson this norning to clarify the situation (or not knowing Thomson)

Will update when I have news

Ron
Am I the only one alarmed that a company involved with aviation apparently doesn't normally bother to comply with H&S standards ????
Further to this thread, I have been in touch with EASYJET, because I have to meet someone on a flight from LGW on Friday, and they say that as far as they are aware, their personnel are not involved. Hope that helps some of our members travelling with EZY from LGW ........... though they are handled by Swissport here in Basel!
Ron, i get to read Skyport paper which workers at Gatwick can pick up, not too sure if its any more truthful/factual than other newspapers! an interesting read though if you've got time on your hands?
the midnight start, on the 27th might affect you as 00.01 on the 27th is obviously before your flight at 2.45pm ? but they might mean midnight after 23.59 on the 27th??

Steve, i'm sure they take H&S standards seriously , but i think they are suggesting that they will be a bit more pedantic about procedures, which will mean going quite slow, just to make sure they are definitely complying.

Alsacienne, perhaps the Swissport staff in Basel got their promised 2% pay rise in April !!
Thanks for all the replys

Off 2morrow so I will soon find out if Im posting on here tomorrow night then you know i am still waiting to take off.....

Thanks again

Ron
Hope all goes well Ron, i'm sure the airlines affected will be doing their best to get everyone on their way.
I think Easyjet are handled by Menzie's at Gatwick - in which case no problem.

Also believe the Gatwick action has been called off (or postponed at least) and only Manchester now affected.
Thanks for all the information and the updates! :tup
Looks like Manchester is OK as well as the industrial action has been called off.
hi all ..my daughter as just flown from gatwick with virgin no problems at all ..gone to st lucia.
regards..j.d.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.