Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Re: THAI AIRWAYS
65 Posts
Ive heard that all BKK bound flights will soon have avod. Just not sure how "soon" is defined! We are looking at flights for next Easter. OH just downright refuses to go on a flight with no seat back tvs. Me- I would rather have the 34" pitch than 31 with a tv.
I agree Fiona, I flew with Thai to BKK last November and chose them purely for the 34" seat pitch on the 747. I don't know what the seat pitch on the A340 is though. Must admit that the 747 appeared to be somewhat shabby and well worn and the food wasn't as good as it used to be (though that seems to be happening with lots of airlines these days) but the service was still pretty good.
I did read somewhere that Thai had pulled their Airbus from the midday London-BKK flight at the end of March and reverted back to the 747. I haven't been reading the Thailand forums for a while so I don't know if this was just temporary..
I think your experience with Thai seem typical Judith. I've been reading quite a few reviews where people say that the interior was worn and shabby. I dont mind the smaller seat pitch of other carriers if its a day flight but its not good for night flights.
Hi Fiona

Ive heard that all BKK bound flights will soon have avod. Just not sure how "soon" is defined! We are looking at flights for next Easter. OH just downright refuses to go on a flight with no seat back tvs. Me- I would rather have the 34" pitch than 31 with a tv.

Try EVA - good aircraft, good legroom, IFE and usually some good deals. Upgrade to PE can also be a very good deal

Our last experience of Thai was last year - tatty aircraft, poor food (going out), no entertainment (other than chasing/finding the cabin crew for juices!) and the legroom didn't seem that good. In all fairness, the return flight was good - mainly because it was almost empty and my food was good. The aircraft was still tatty!

Janet has stated that she will not fly Thai economy again (her return meal wasn't as good as mine)...............

Cheers

Peter
we flew with Thai in 06 and again last year, on the 2nd trip the plane did appear a little shabby and worn. Also the picture on the screen was not good at all.
We are flying with Eva this year and I am really looking forward to having seat back IFE (I have never had this on a flight before) it will be interesting to see the comparison...although I believe Eva's plane is a 777 so will be layed out differently to the Thai 747. (I think!)
Stace1983,

The 777's Are Layed Out Differently To The 747's. A Seat Plan Of EVA's 777 Can Be Seen Here

Gower
have just booked a holiday to thailand bangkok 3 nights koh samui 11 nights flying with thai airlines from heathrow what is the food like on the plane and is there plenty of leg room, dodgie knee so battery hen travel is not my cup of tea
thanks ;)
We flew Thai last year and the year before, seat pitch is not bad in economy think its 34" but I am only 5ft 1 so have never have a problem! The food was great they hand out a menu think we had a choice of chicken or beef, the beef was a curry and was delicious.
I found the service was second to none, the hostesses are very friendly and professional. We couldnt believe the amount of drinks/snacks we were offered. :cheers
Hi

I have flown with Thai quite a few times, in fact they have been my airline of choice when flying to Bangkok because of their 34" legroom and pretty good service and food. I am only 5'6" but have very long legs and the extra couple of inches makes a big difference to comfort on long haul. I believe that once again they are only flying 747's on the LHR-BKK service, which means no seat back entertainment so take something with you to while away the hours as many seats aren't very good for watching the films.

Judith
I flew with Thai Airways a couple of years back and was very disappointed. I didn't think it was 34" seat pitch at all though I may be wrong despite what 'Seat Guru' or other sites say. The IFE is appalling and I don't think that's acceptable on a 12 hour flight, just my opinion.

I have flown with Etihad via UAE and they were the best airline I have ever flown with. I've also flown with EVA airways direct and they were good. When we go to Phuket next March we're seriously thinking of going via Kuala Lumpur to go Malaysia Airways rather than Thai.

TC
Tee Cee
I don't know which plane you flew on but the B747 which is the plane used on the LHR - BKK route has definitely more leg room than BA, Qantas or Virgin's 747's.
I rarely watch the movies so seat back entertainment isn't important to me but it's really time Thai installed it if they want to keep up with the competition. .

I have used Malaysia Airlines in the past and found them pretty good but according to many recent reviews their product seems to be slipping of late.
Thanks Judith, unfortunately it seems you can't rely on many at all to provide a really good service! :)
I flew LHR to BKK and return in January this year.

The way out was on 747 with 34 inches seat pitch, which was very nice ... Service was great and attentive and the food , one of the best airline meals I've ever had (been flying for 25 years), one that could even put BA's Club World food to shame in certain occasions !!
IFE was poor with only a main screen, no seat back TVs but the flight went smoothly and quite quick anyway. (thanks for the prework I had done, wasn't expecting a lot)

For the way back, I was very excited to discover a A340-600 at the airport, only to be really disappointed in minutes ...
Seat pitch was awful (especially as I was on a window seat where pitch is further reduced by entertainment boxes below the seats).
Food was nothing special but ok. The real treat was the IFE, really nice with quite a choice of films and a really really good moving map.

All in all, a great experience but if Thai would install seatback TV on their 747, I would fly them every time I can !!!
I am flying to Bangkok 29 Oct from LHR and back on the 11th Nov on a A340-600 according to the airline website. I've also heard rumours that the airline is getting brand new A380's around September this year - I wondered if any aviation experts here may know if this is true, and if one of the routes they are to be used on will be the LHR-Bangkok route, and if so, I wonder if i'll be lucky enough to be on one!!!

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
They are buying a number of A380's I believe the first european route will be LHR-BKK in November. I'm not sure if they have announced the exact date as yet. But before you get your hopes up I have already read somewhere else that Paris will be the first destination and then somewhere else I read that Frankfurt will have the honour.
Lol oh well, maybe by the time I fly back in November they may have one going to London!

Out of interest , our connecting flights with Thai Air Bangkok to Phuket are on 747 and 777 aircraft - seems a huge aircraft for an hour journey - unless it goes somewhere else after that?
Gary

Thai run a 747 from Copenhagen-Bangkok-Phuket -Copenhagen most probably in a 747 which could be the flight you are using.
I've been on a 747 a few times from Phuket to Bangkok, I was told it was simply down to demand for seats.
I understand that Thai have now upgraded the planes from LHR to BKK, so all have seat back entertainment, but does anyone know what type of plane they use?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.