General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
GCSE
100 Posts
My son took his last year and we needed to know the dates of his exams (as my sister was getting married so needed to know whether or not he'd be able to attend).
I rang the school several months before and they were able to tell me those dates.

Pippy :D
Hi

I have had two children sit GCSE's over the last few years; my daughter this year. Both had them start in May and finish by the end of June. This is pretty much standard across the board. All GCSE exams are normally sat at the same time every year.

Hope this helps.

Rgds Jackie
Yes I was going to say that - all over by end of June.
my daughter has just taken hers and most started after easter holidays and she was finished by end of june we had planned to go away march time but she had odd exams or parts of exams from christmas onwards hope this helps we went in july in the end as we couldn't fit 2 weeks in anytime earlier
My son is taking his next year and his study leave starts 18/May/07 , so depending on how many subjects are being taken they should all be over some time in June
Usually all over by the end of june except occassionally for wierd subjects that may have the odd paper later. These are not your run of the mill school subjects however.
Thanks for all your replies and helpful answers everyone. We were hoping to go in middle of june for daughters 16th, so hopefully last exam will have been taken by then. Will get straight onto school when term starts back.

jackie
My son did his GCSEs this year - his last exam (Psychology) was quite late in June - the school had already had the 'Leavers Do' which is supposed to be after all the exams but there were just a few subjects which are always at the very end of June.
I'd be careful about making plans for the middle of June - the main exams start after the Whit holidays, which next year should see the kids back in school on 4th June and the first 2-3 weeks after this holiday have the most exams, English, Maths, Science etc.
Unfortunately my son no longer has this year's exam timetable - he ripped it up as soon as he had finished :roll: :lol:
Hi , I don,t kmpw hpw it works in England but here in Scotland we were booking for Florida a few years agoand I phoned the education authority in Edinburgh and they were able to tell me when my sons last exams werte to be sat. Almost a year in advance.

Alexa
As\I said earlier most run of he mill subjects will be finished in June. But there arealways a few oddballs and non-GCSE subjects (GNVQsetc) that may have papers or deadlines after the end of June.
Hi

Although exams should be over by END of June, I too would be very careful about booking for the middle of June, this year my Daughter's last exam was on 23rd June (her 16th birthday) but I know a few of her mates had their last exam on the 27th. If I was you I would look at booking for beginning of July at the earliest.

Rgds Jackie
I'm Mrs Chivas - I noticed this post and thought I may be able to help - I'm a teacher and I do some work for one of the exam boards. At the moment the summer 2007 exam timetables are still in draft form and some exam boards do not have there drafts out until sometime in September. On the one draft that I have seen GCSE exams are running right up until the end of June so my advice would be to check with your child's school first but go for an early July holiday.
for the [ast 2 years my kids have sat there exams we alwasy go to turkey on july 3rd as the last exam has always been childcare on the 27th
it looks like we will be booking for beginning of july as my daughter is taking a GNVQ, and the 'school prom ' will take place just after the final exam.
As we dont like it too hot, can anyone suggest a place where we wont roast!
you can phone the LEA ON Mondat they will give yo the details yo can get the number from your local council
Hi, I would be grateful if anyone can give me any advice on the following.
We have booked to go away next year and yesterday my daughter who is in year 10 brought home the annual school timetable.
During the first week that we go away, it states that there are Year 10 GCSE exams!!?? PANIC!!! :yikes
I was unable to get in touch with anyone from the school so rather than sweat it out until monday, I was wondering if anyone can advice me as to what these exams are. Are they GCSE'S that some pupils take a year early? Are they part of the coursework? Are they mock exams?
Please excuse my ignorance but it's been quite a while since I went to school and if my memory serves me correctly, I always thought that GCSE exams were taken in year 11. :hmmm
Oh, and by the way, I phoned the travel agents to see if we could move the holiday back by 1 week, yes we can but it will cost us a further £900. :cry:
Thanks in advance for any advice.
my lad is also in yr 10.. and he has an exam of some sort while we are away in Gran Can this November...from what i can gather they are just like the "mocks" we did squillions of years ago for O and A levels.

If your daughter's exams are part of coursework or part of the end result, it may be possible that the school allows her to sit them upon return...
:D Hi!

I'm nearly sure the gsce are taken in year eleven (June time), I'm sure these are the mock exams, but will find out tonight for you, as we are visiting friends who have a daughter that has just gone into year 11 this september just gone. BBB.
Hi,
GCSE exams are taken in year 11 but some schools do put the brighter children in for fast track. My daughter sat 2 exams this year in year 10, Maths and English. Also they sit Science module exams over year 10 and 11, these are counted towards the final grade for the science GCSE so need to be at school to take these. When daughter comes in i will find out if she knows the dates for them, i know she sat two in year 10 last school year. im not sure if she has another in November will let you know.
Theresa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.