Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
HI Gary

Sorry you had such a disappointing time. The letter however I think needs reworking as it doesn't make for an easy read as it is just 'too wordy'. Unfortunately they must receive so many complaint letters, that to get a response you are satisfied with, it needs to be concise and to the point. Have to say, I lost the will to read half way through and if customer services do the same you will get no-where. Don't mean to be critical, just constructive- I hope!! Re-write it using Bullet points, stating clearly your main grievances. You can always put at the end that they are welcome to contact you should they wish you to elaborate. Also give some idea of what response you are hoping for from them. I always find anything official that I write, is rewritten several times before I am happy with it.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Pam
I agree - the letter is far to long - I admit I gave up half way through.

If I, as a member of HT, who likes to assist where possible (and so have far more patience) think how the TO operative who reads dozens a day will react.

Short sentences and bullet points for the important points are the order of the day.

Arriving without luggage is stressful but personal feelings are of no importance when writing a letter of complaint. They know how you feel.

Attitude of some reps is well known so having a go a great length at this stage does not move things forward.

Your story is important but not at this stage. Should you not get a sensible response then it may be relevant should you take legal action to recover monies. Writing the whole thing down now whilst fresh in your mind is the correct thing to do, but keep it on file until the need arises to tell the story in full before a judge.

I know you have already sent it but I suggest you re write it for the next round. TOs are required to reply within a limited time, this is usually done in the form of an acknowledgement after which they have a further 28 days.

Please keep us informed of your progress so we can try to assist you in reaching a conclusion satisfactory to yourself.

fwh
I agree Gary - complaint letter need to be concise & to the point. You can point out your grievances but they will not relly want to read about feelings. They will know you're upset!
I agree with Helen, Gary. But I know how it is - once you start, it is hard to stop!
Maybe you feel a little better getting it all off your chest in a letter?
I always feel calmer, once I have written down my problems. Hope you do too!
Best of luck!
That letter is far tooooooooooooo long. Bullet points are best.
A few years back I wrote a letter to First Choice asking for a refund of some of my holiday costs due to having been evacuated after a hurricane on day 2 of a fortnight's holiday. We wanted money back for unused days at the hotel, upgraded seats we didn't get etc etc
Long story short, I received a phone call from one of the claims staff 5 weeks later to deal with my claim. She asked me a couple of questions and it became clear she hadn't read my letter. She told me they never read past the first couple of lines as they don't have time. We sorted it out on the phone and she made me an offer which I accepted.
It might be best to write a short note with the bare facts and ask them to call you back or maybe call them.
I consider that an initial letter of complaint should be the same as reports I was often required to submit when working. I was often told to re write them without the boss even reading them. His reason was simple. They must not take up more than one page of a sheet of A4.

If they need more then they will ask. It has already been said - bullet points with a short introduction. You also need to ensure you do not shoot yourself in the foot by disclosing your supporting evidence at the start.

fwh
Hi All

Yes wrote the letter while I was still fuming and as you say it all came out, but what has amased me is the fact they seem to care at all :cry
Sorry to hear about your problems, i know how you feel!.

Got to Bristol airport a few weeks ago with my 2 daughers, mum & niece. First problem when we get there they have put no baggage allowance atall on nieces tickets so she has to pay £15 both ways to get her suitcase over to cyprus..pays the £15 gets a receipt etc..

Gets back to check-in after paying for that & then my daughter's suitcase is 1KG over so had to pay £12 for that (was speaking to a woman on the plane and she had a suitcase full of shoes and trainers and was 6KG over , got charged nothing!!). So everythings fine after that.. untill we get on the plane just as were about to take off "There has been a problem with the fuel, we will have to offload 39 bags and you'll find out if its yours if it don't come round in Larnaca."

We arrive in larnaca, my 2 daughters mum & my case comes around straight away..nieces don't! So she has paid £15 to get her suitcase over and it hasn't come. So we finally get out larnaca at 4am from 1am with no case. They called on the friday and said "Your case has been to germany and is now in newcastle on its way." and arrived saturday night so my poor niece had to wait 3days out of 7 with no case!.
Don't think i'll be flying with thomas cook ever again!!! (So glad i didn't have to return to england after all that!! :/)

CourtneeLouise x
well we got our response letter today and guess what it is the standard "we are sorry buy won't do a thing so get stuffed" style letter , I will never use them again even if it costs me more money.
OK so start again. You agreed with us that your letter was written when you were still seething. It was full of stuff that was not relevant to an initial claim. As was said much of it would only need to be stated should it finish up in court.You have calmed down now, talked with us here on HT, and so you now write back. thank them for their letter and request that they reconsider their response.

The new letter should restate your complaint in the manner we have suggested. Short and sweet.

You could also advise them that failure to correctly address the points raised may result in legal action against them when you would not only seek recompense due, but substantial damages and costs.

If nothing else you will keep someone occupied in replying.

fwh
I have been away with Thomas Cook a few times and have found them to be ok.

At the end of the day I think the big tour operators are much of a muchness. You will always find people who have great times and those who have had horrific holidays with them.
i wont be flying with thomas cook ever again i have had the worst journey back home from Salou yestarday. This is how it all started went to glasgow airport on 22 june with my 2 daughters so had 3 suitcases for all of us and 3 hand luggage as well.They did not weigh the hand luggage only the suitcases had a funny feeling befor i left the house that i was over weight but waited till i got to the airport to see as i knew my mum was going to be there with me to say goodbye to the girls so i was thinking if i am over weight i can get some stuff out and give it to my mum to take back home but it turns out i was ok or so i thought . Goes away has the best 2 wks holiday ever then on return to reus airport yestarday i find out i am 50 kg over weight which is inpossable as i had no presents in any of the suitcases all the presents were in the had luggage. All that was in the 3 suitcases were the clothes that i came over with and only other extra items that went in were 2 bottles of brandy 3 new beach towels 3 cartons of fags and a bottle of perfume apart from those items everything el was what i got through with at glasgow airport so i must have been over weight at glasgow. Then told it would cost me £200 excess baggage if i want to go home with everything but i could not pay as all i had on me was £100 . so I was then told to go back to the back of the line open my cases up and bin some of my things from them so by that point me and my 2 girls were in tears i had to bin the 2 bottles of brandy and 3 beach towels and shoes and my daughter even bined some of her makeup and slippers trying to help end this distaster and all 3 of us put on 3 extra layers of clothing ti try and lighten the load a bit more. Then got back to the front of the line and was then told i was 11kg over and it would cost me £110 which i still did not have as i only had the £100 on me from the security deposit from the hotel so i was then told to go to information and see them with just only an hour to spare befor the plane took off they then aggreed to let me off with 1kg and only charch me for 10kg so i had no choice but to give them my last £100 that i had on me.
can someone on here tell me how i go about making a complaint and is it to thomas cook or glasgow airport that i complain too any help on this matter would be great thank you
Without sounding too harsh, it looks to me that you "got away" with it on the outbound section and got "caught out" on the way back.

Terms and conditions of your flight will most probably say excess charges apply if your luggage allowance exceeds that of the ticket.

Couldn't you have paid on your credit card?

Mark :)
i was not trying to go away with extra luggage if checkin at glasgow had said that i was over weight there i would have happily took out some of my clothes and given them to my mum to take back home that would not have been a problem to do. But the truth is that checkin did not have the common sence to tell me that i was over weight going out so what i am saying i did not get the choice to take items out beforhand so that i would leave room for bringing items back home with me and no i dont have a credit card of any kind. but it is not that i was lucky to have gotten away with anything as i did not want to be ever weight in the 1st place. But does checkin not have the right to tell a customer going out of the counrty that they are over weight in luggage instead of letting them think they are fine and she was putting the suitcases on the waighing far to fast for me to see the read out as well .
With "getting away" I didn't mean deliberately getting away with. They didn't charge you but could have done. On your return journey they did choose to enforce the rules if you like.

I don't believe they have a right to tell you that you are overweight.

Mark :)
By your own admission, you thought you were overweight on the way out. The fact that check in at Glasgow didn't point this out or charge you is irrelevant. You were very lucky.

Did you or your mother bring a spare bag or holdall to take any excess clothing home, or was your mother going to carry it in her arms?

Despite already thinking you were overweight you went on to purchase additional items and put them in the cases. Two bottles of brandy are fairly heavy.

Thomas Cook's baggage allowance is 15kgs hold and 5kgs hand which is clearly stated on their tickets.

For future flights it may be prudent to do as many are now doing and purhase luggage scales to check the weight before you leave.

luci :wave
50kgs !!!!!!! OMG.. How long did you go for ? :yikes :yikes

Dawn xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.