Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
stayed here in november 05 and it was fantastic it has now been refurbished and most of the building work has been completed since the take over would highly recomend this hotel, and the food is good.
This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. You have to watch it if they put you in one of the annex buildings they get broken into quite often. If you like a bath, forget it. When I stayed some other people had lost everything in an annex breakin and I mean everything. The staff didn't seem very intrested.
Another problem with the Pueblo Benidorm hotel is the wardrobes.....thats when you can actually find them. :roll: They are located behind the curtains next to the balcony, which technically means they are on the 'outside' (NOT litterally of course :shock: ) but they are on an outside wall basically, and this means that if you are staying in the Tower, and are there during the Winter months, your clothes do get cold and damp.

Personally, even though the Pueblo has now been taken over by the well established and excellent ServiGroup of Hotels, I would avoid the Pueblo like it was the plague.

A tip for you if you have booked to say in the Pueblo....I think I may have mentioned this before somewhere so apologies for any repitition, but if you find you are waiting for long periods for the lifts at the main bank....there are three I think....walk up one flight of stairs to the first floor, and then walk down the long corridor past all the first floor rooms. At the end of the corridor, go through the door. You will then find yourself in an area used by the cleaners but they don't seem to take any notice. Directly in front of you is another staircase ( the emergency staircase which you should familiarise yourself with anyway), but if you turn right you will see two 'service' lifts. They are small, and somewhat tatty, and if I recall they had the old 'moving wall' effect, although I can't be sure on that now, but you can use these lifts to take you up to your floor without waiting :!: Just be sure not to go right down to the basement and get out as you will find yourself right in the middle of the kitchens and will be faced with some very bewildered looks by the Chefs :roll: :shock: We used these lifts if there was a queue at the main bank and I'm sure we saved alot of our precious holiday time hanging around for lifts that often never arrive. They are NOT guest lifts, but we used them in full view of the cleaners and they just ignored us. A simple 'Hola' and they carry on with what they are doing.

The only good part, for me about the Pueblo, was the Spanish Entertainer in the main Bar. Great music, good singer and wonderful dancing, and he also sells CD's (€10) of his music......which makes for a great inexpensive souvenir.

(Just my humble opinion, but its not a Hotel I would ever stay at again)
Has anyone ever stayed in this hotel before? I'm going in June and was just wondering how ppl rate the Pueblo.. is it mainly spainish or british staying in this hotel? :lol:
It is a mixture of both English AND Spanish Guests....but more Spanish I would say.

Personally I would never ever stay there again. It was a truly dreadful place. (IMO) The 'hot' food was cold or warm at its best, repetitive and just plain awful. The serving area where the Chef cooks the eggs at breakfast was an absolute disgrace. The staff were very unhelpful and extremely rude. The wait for the lifts in the main Tower Block was a nightmare, but that can be said of any High Rise Hotel in Beni in all fairness. ( See my earlier post about the two 'secret staff/service' elevators ).And there were numerous reports of thefts from the rooms in the five smaller blocks. Break-Ins and Theft from the small rooms in the Annexes was a big problem from what I could understand.

The rooms in the main Tower were small and a bit cramped and the wardrobes were built into the walls either side of the balcony door, so in effect they are on the outside of the buiding, behind the curtains.....you won't see them unless you move the curtains back. And being on the outside they tend to get cold and damp making your clothes all smelly and musty. Bed linen was not changed on a regular basis and the Maids were very stingy with replacement toilet rolls. The Maids did not do a very good job of cleaning as there was dust and debris under my bed on the day I arrived. This was one the the few remaining Hotels in Benidorm that do not use the 'Card-Swipe' system on the Room Doors....instead you get a conventional Key. (Again that MAY have changed under ServiGroup).

The Reception area was very bland and unappealing with very little seating and there were no designated 'NO SMOKING' areas (I'm guessing that will have changed with the new Smoking Regulations now in force). It looked a bit like a Hospital Waiting Room to me.

The Pueblo is situated in very close proximity to the land occupied by the twice weekly Outdoor Market, so on the one hand it can be very handy as you don't have far to go to take all your purchases back, but on the other hand on Wednesdays and Sundays it does get VERY busy and VERY noisy in the immeidiate vicinity of the Hotel Entrance, so the lower floor room balconies will be subject to a lot of hussle and bustle. Forget a peaceful afternoon siesta on these days. And expect an early morning arousal as the Market Stall Holders do set up early, around 5.30am---6.00am ish.

However, all this was all when it was owned by Barcelo. It has now been taken over by ServiGroup....which is a much better Company with very friendly staff. But that said, I would never, ever book another holiday in the Pueblo Hotel, never. Even if it was a freebie I'd sooner not go. It really was THAT bad. (IMHO)

There are two main Bars and one Bar is almost entirely patronised by the Spanish and the entertainment is geared towards them. But that said, it was rather good. There is a regular Spanish Entertainer, an organ player and singer and he is very good. The dancing is good. The other, smaller bar is mainly British. There are also Germans and various other nationalities staying at this hotel, but in much smaller numbers. Spanish are the largest group closely followed by the Brits.

My overall rating for the Hotel Pueblo when I was there was 2/10. And it did not even deserve that to be honest. Others who have stayed here may well have different views and opinions, but personally I thought it was a terrible place and to date it is the worst Hotel in Benidorm that I have ever stayed in, closely followed by The Rio Park.

Sorry to be so negative, but you did ask and the idea of this Forum is to tell the truth as one sees it. My opinions will no doubt differ from others. But if you asked me to recommend this Hotel, then I'm sorry, I could not do that. ServiGroup MAY have made some improvements and took on more staff, or retrained the existing staff to their much higer standards...I have no idea....BUT when I took a look around last October following the Take Over there was no immeidate evidence of any improvement. There was also a lot of building work taking place right outside the main entrance in the street....something to do with the drains I think? But that was in October 2005....I'm guessing that will be complete by now. They were also constructing a new Indoor Pool at this time, but one would hazard a guess that this is now completed.

If you can change your booking to another Hotel, even if you have to pay an Administration Charge, then I would highly recommend that you do so.....but as I say this is just entirely my own PERSONAL opinion.

(Edited By BHIC To Emphasize That The Above Comments Are Based On My Stay At The Hotel Barcelo Pueblo ((Now The Benidorm Pueblo) in December 2003/January 2004 And That Facilities/Food/Accomodation/Entertainment/Staff/Security/Decoration/Lift Etc May Have Changed And Improved In The Two Years Since My Visit, and That When I Was A Guest At This Hotel It Was Owned/Managed/ & Operated By The Barcelo Chain Of Hotels Which Is No Longer The Case.

The Reader May Wish To Read More Later Up To Date Reviews In The Accomodation Review Forum On This Accomodation For More Recent Up To Date Views & Opinions
Can i ask a quick quistion on changing hotel room if i was to change my hotel app to another would my travel agent charge me for changing by any chance

sharon
BHIC ... you are repeatedly expressing some very strong personal opinions about this hotel. But like your previous comments about the Hotel Rio Park where you stayed in 2000, I don't think you are making it sufficiently clear to members that your opinions are not based on any recent experiences as a guest at this hotel. I believe you last stayed here in 2003.

We have had many more reviews posted since then by other holidaymakers, which can be read by clicking HERE.

I would like to think that most hotels will have changed since 2003, and certainly since 2000. But when you are commenting on past experiences (especially from so long ago), it may be best if you give dates, so that members can take account of your findings against the more recent experiences of other holidaymakers, perhaps preventing some from worrying unnecessarily about their forthcoming holiday. It may also be inappropriate to advise other members to go to the expense of changing their booking to another hotel, considering the time which has elapsed since your last stay here.

David :wave
  • Edited by David 2007-01-12 21:37:36
As I have previously mentioned, I was talking to a lady on my return flight from Benidorm in March this year and she told me that she had been staying at the Rio Park for a whole month full board, she had nothing but but praise for the place and had thoroughly enjoyed her stay.
I have also spoken to a couple recently who have stayed at the Pubelo and were perfectly satisfied.

Enough said...........

Sue :)
I have booked to stay at the Pueblo for 2 weeks in February next year at the bargain price of £702 for 2 weeks half board for 2 adults and 1 child.

As a regular visitor to Benidorm I believe that the majority of the larger hotels have improved their standards in the last few years and agree with David that you can't rely on information given from over 3 years ago. I last stayed in this hotel 5 years ago when it was owned by Barcelo and found it to be clean although I agree that the lift situation could be improved as at that time there always seemed to be 1 of the 3 out of order in the main tower.

I believe that the Servi Group have made improvements to this hotel and I have stayed in the Orange, Calypso and Rialto over the years and found the food to be of a good standard and presume they have made similar changes to the menu here as it now says on the Servigroup website that the food is "gastronomically supervised" by chef Jean Marc Sanz. There also seems to be good facilities for children including their own mini club and pool.

Michelle
I believe that the Servi Group have made improvements to this hotel and I have stayed in the Orange, Calypso and Rialto over the years and found the food to be of a good standard and presume they have made similar changes to the menu here as it now says on the Servigroup website that the food is "gastronomically supervised" by chef Jean Marc Sanz. There also seems to be good facilities for children including their own mini club and pool.

Hi, that is excellent news. If the Hotel food is endorsed now by Chef Jean Marc Sanz then the food should be of a much higher standard than when I was there in 2003/2004. In all the ServiGroup Hotels that I have stayed in, I could not find any fault with the Dining Room, the Food, or the Restaurant Staff.
My brother has just come back from the pueblo, on a short break said it was very nice but food not that good, said no variety and not much on offer. ( he is a chef!) (also hes never gone HB in spain before normally SC )

but apart from that he said would go back

nonnielane x :D
This may sound a daft question, but I've just booked to go for a week's full board in this hotel next Tuesday, 11/7/06.

I've read the reviews but I wondered is there a kettle in the rooms or is it best to take a travel one? I'm travelling with my elderly, disabled Mum, arriving in the middle of the night ( 3am ish) and I know we'll want a cuppa!

I haven't stayed in a hotel before, always been SC - we've just got back from Tenerife 3 weeks ago ( family group) and Mum has got the taste for travelling now - we've decided we're going away often now we know she can manage the flights. I chose Benidorm, to see if we like it as I hear it's good for pushing the wheelchair around and it's just me and her.

Thanks for any help.

Alison
Hi Alison

As far as I can remember they don't provide kettles in hotels so you would be best taking a travel kettle. Benidorm is good for disabled people as quite a lot of the resort is flat especially the area around the Pueblo.

Hope you have a nice holiday

Michelle :wave
Thanks for that, Michelle.

Will get out and buy one.

Ali x
has anyone been to this hotel reciently was wondering where this indoor swimming pool is and is it finished my son goes on 23rd sept any information would be helpfull thanks :?:
Hi Dermott

We went for a week in July ( me and disabled mum) and thought it was fine. I have posted a review.

Seemed great for kids - lots going on.

We would go back.

Ali
the indoor pool is situated at the side of annex block 5 and it was completed in november last year when i was there last.
Just grabbed a bargain on alpharooms!
3 nights half board 15th - 18th March for £49 well chuffed with that! Checked the reviews and have spoken to people who have stayed there before and highly recommend it, roll on March for out annual Wales v England Rugby Tour (far too cold to watch it in Cardiff lol) :)
andreak,tried them dates on alpharooms,was it 2 people or 1?cant get anywere near that price,let me know how you got it so cheap,cheers kev
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.