Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
news tourists
13 Posts
goanvoice is an excellent site for news about Goa, I read it every day and would recommend it to anyone interested in Goa. There is a travel article today, that's worth a read.
xx lassi
Right lets see if I have this straight. Dabolim Airport says that it is going to be a good year for tourists, while the tour companies say that there is going to be 200 less flights and that it will be a poor year. Nothing new there then! The words left and right hands, and head and sand come in to my thoughts right now.
Please note that the govt has NOT issued advice not to go to Goa at this point. The overall level of advice has not changed. For up to date info please read
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-living-overseas/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/india
nothing new there then! - there always seems to be some threat or another!
Please also note that Sky News has picked up the story that there is increased concern, without disclosing intelligence information, about an increased expectation of a terrorist incident, with Goa named as specific. This will be within the forthcomng season 2009/ 2010.

The Israeli Government, for the second year in a row, have advised their citicens to avoid India altogether.

A recent meet up through the British High Commission, Goa representative, held at Colva, Goa had the intent of promotng 'Locate'. This is a registering systen whereby the UK Govt. knows your whereabouts while in a foreign country, in case of tsunami, earthquake, terrorism, etc.

'Locate' has been in existence for a number of years. The fact that there is a promotional push from the Brit ish High Commission in Goa (when normally they do next to nothing) suggests strongly to me that there is credible intelligence of a likely terrorist attack/incident/bombing/atrocity against foreigners somewhere within India's tourist hotspots e.g. Goa.

Don't only check your probability of surviving Swine Flu ( death rate : 1 in 40) , what does your insurance cover? Repatriation of bodies and body parts is very expensive.
As Fiona says, the UK Goverment has NOT issued advice not to go to Goa at this point. However, please follow the link to heed the advice they are giving and the areas they advice against visiting at present, in their summary.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-living-overseas/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/india

Kath x
Locate has not been in existance for a number of years, I believe it was introduced in May last year. I didn't travel abroad last year, so didn't know of it, until it was metioned on this forum.
So I think it's a good idea to promote it, and for people to use it, wherever they may be travelling to.
xx lassi
None of this would stop me from going to Goa etc....the only reason I wouldn't go would be if the govt said a 100% NO!

Used Locate last year and will again this year mainly for peace of mind to my boys.
HERE is a link to the Locate information on the FCO Gov website.

Kath x
I used locate last season. I was very undecided whether to go at all, but did in the end. It was a major reason why I've decided to go elsewhere Nov/Dec but have still booked for March.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.