Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Well that's an interesting read, and they certainly don't pull their punches. Looks like it gives the typical stereotypical view some credence.
Cossack Rog :hyper
Thanks Jayne. Very interesting read.
Looks like the Brits are'nt the only "dolers"
Alan
Strange only about 12 months ago the Russians were the best thing since sliced bread!
See what the 2010/11 season brings.....lots of domestic tourists i think but not to many "high end" tourists that Goa wants to choose.
I used to holiday a lot in Egypt, mainly for the diving. The place is now flooded with Russians with the same rude, arrogant attitude. They never say thank you, never respond to a 'good morning', barge to the front of the queue. But I have to admit that I didn't see them causing any trouble out there, running brothols or organising their own trips.

Looks like they have realised that the Indians are a push over & they can easily take advantage of them without too much trouble.

But that's the difference between a Arab & a Indian .... take advantage of a Indian & they're are always forgiving .... take advantage of a Arab & he'll chop your b*lls off :yikes

I'd like to see the Russians try & start their own taxi business in Goa .... there would be outrage!!!
Such a shame they have virtually taken over Morjim.

I suppose it's so easy to entice Goans with money.... and now they are complaining!
Very interesting.'Mickky' seems to be contradicting previous statements.

Papa
And in years gone by they complained about the hippies..... surely this is worse!

I notice a reference to Indian Classical music. I have always been disappointed that you can possibly only hear it in one of the 5 star hotels and is never marketed at all well. Still never seen any in the 7 visits that I have been to Goa.
Wish this idiot would make up his mind who he actually does want in Goa - talk about contradicting himself.

Best thing we can do is sit back and watch what happens, I said a long time ago they would rue the day :think The comment regarding "inadvertantly turning up in Morjim made me laugh out loud - what did they expect when rumour has it that most of Morjim has been sold off to them and that most of the shacks are now run by them - of course they will turn up in Morjim.

I don't have anything against a particular individual or race when I make the above remarks, however none of us needed a degree in rocket science to work out what would likely happen.

Fizz
I notice a reference to Indian Classical music. I have always been disappointed that you can possibly only hear it in one of the 5 star hotels

The Kerkar Gallery in Calangute frequently have Indian classical music evenings. :tup
Thanks for that info. I did notice some event on there on occasions but I was down South.
Sounds to me like Mickky is finally listening to what the Goan people are saying.

Lobo is also echoing the words that every shack worker told me.

I just got back from 2 weeks in Candolim and I can't remember a single Goan being happy with the Russian tourists, I can't even remember any Goan as showing indifference to them. Without acception they preferred that the russians were not there for the reasons given in the article

Looking ahead though there were stories about changes to the way visa's were going to be issued to russian tourists (apparently they currently get their visa on arrival rather than before travelling) so that proper checks could be carried out. A couple of policemen I know also talked of an apparent clamp down on illegal & anti-social behaviour particularly aimed to reduce the problems associated with russian tourists.

This is india though and things take lots of time to happen if at all. One thing I am sure of is that if something isn't done then I can see the situation seriously deteriorating.
I think that the type of Russian tourist has changed over the years.

A few years ago, it was the obviously sucessful businessmen, accompanied by much younger, very attractive, usually scantily clad regardless of location 'partners'.

Then we noticed younger couples, with money to spend.

This year, there seemed to be quite a lot of families with children and groups of girls/women (didn't notice groups of blokes though that's not to say there weren't any).
They were eating fruit & sandwiches on the beach, obviously brought from their hotel/apartment and also drinking stuff they'd not bought in the shacks.
Maybe the cost of getting to Goa for these people is stretching their budget so they don't have a lot to spend when they arrive there.

We saw 2 women in a bar in Calangute spend 10 minutes studying the menu before ordering a small bottle of Bud between them - nothing else.

I heard two chaps asking the price of a gin & tonic in a beach shack and discussing what they were told before they finally sat down and ordered.

I overheard a guy arguing with 2 of the beach shack guys over what he'd been charged for a soft drink.
Apparently, the shack has done a couple of menus in Russian and one of the prices had been put in incorrectly (5 rupees less than on the English menu).
This guy was insisting that he'd ordered from the Russian menu and would only pay Russian prices.
I don't know the outcome of this as I got bored after 15 minutes of stand-off and wandered down the beach for a paddle.

I don't know if this means they have limited budgets or it's just part of their nature/culture.

Regarding Fritz's comments about the feeings of the Goans towards the Russians, I know the jeweller that I use is often uncomfortable about the way they behave in his shop.
He says that English people come in, say 'Hello' and if they see something on display that they want to look at, they will ask to see it.
Russians come in (quite often in large groups), don't speak and start picking things up and trying them on, which makes it very difficult to keep track of stock.

I was in a handbag cum jeweller shop a few weeks ago that I have bought from over the years and had just spent a while haggling good-naturedly over a Jimmy Choo handbag, me declaring that I just couldn't possibly afford to pay the extra 50 rps that he wanted and him saying that if he sold the bag to me at such a low price he'd go bankrupt. Anyway, I was paying (the lower price) :rofl and someone came into the shop and the guy said 'Russians' and made a sign that he needed to keep his eyes open.
Unfortunately Polly I cant see it getting any better regarding Russian tourists, we have just got back and we were shocked by how many there were. The surprising thing we noticed was how they seemed to be everywhere, the ones we saw were ALL loud, intimidating (to Goans), argumentative and ignorant.The jeweller we use also commented on how he did'nt like them in his shop and when they were in he showed them 1 piece at a time (much to there anger) and as for haggling some of the things we witnessed were frightening. If the powers that be dont listen to there own people things will just get worse and we will be booking to stay in Candolimsky, Morjimsky ect.
Keith.....
KJF wrote:
Candolimsky, Morjimsky ect.

:rofl Sorry, this did make me giggle!

Sounds as if Goa's been taken over already :cry
Fizz
Had a juice in Scarlets in Chapora last week and we were surrounded by some very shady looking Russians - one dressed like a pirate, another tattooed all over his body - and I do mean all over, and a lass with the skimpiest bikini bottoms I've ever seen. More like a belt!

I hate to be judgmental but they didn't seem to be up to much good, making short calls on mobiles and meeting other other shady characters, smoking strange smelling substances. Of course, they may all be lovely people but they didn't look it!

There are very real cultural differences shaped by our different national histories and there will always be some tensions between different cultures, but they don't seem to smile or laugh a great deal and there is no sign of any social skills.

I hate generalising, and I have met a few courteous Russians, but they really are the minority. We gave Morjim a miss this year because of the problems up there - not sure how it will all pan out. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, can you?
Over the years I've yet to hear any Goans say a good word about the Russian invasion. I've spoken with people who rent out accommadation, shop keepers, waiters, bar owners, taxi drivers tibetan jewellry sellers, local politicians, and on and on, and they are all united in their dislike of all things Russian. Yet Politicians at State and Nanional level moved heaven and earth to encourage this influx, mind you when you see the mess the likes of "Micky" makes of things at Goan level, and the nonsense of National policies in all things to do with tourism, we should'nt be too surprised with the outcome of their wooing of the Russians.
Alan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.