Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Venice is a fantastic place for a short break so you're bound to have agreat time.

If you're arriving into Marco Polo airport (not all cheap airlines do!) transfers couldn't be easier.

there's a waterbus runs between the airport, the Lido and main island and it's well signposted in the airport or you could just follow the crowds.

If you really want to push the boat out and arrive in style you could leave the crowds and get a private water taxi (they go from the same jetty). It's a fantastic way to arrive (a bit James Bondish skimming over the water in highly polished wood speedboat).

But be warned, it doesn't come cheap, last time I was there it was about 70€ and that was a couple of years ago!!!!!
Thanks for that Jan. :D

Yes we will be flying into Marco Polo Airport. So we don't have to book the taxi in advance?

Do you have any other tips on where to visit and eat - you know, the usual?

Thanks
Krishna
No you don't have to book the transfer in advance, you just turn up and queue.

I was once told that when it comes to restaurants, the further you walk away from St Marks square, the cheaper it gets!!

The prices in St Marks Sq are just about the highest in Venice so there's probably some truth in it!!

For me the beauty of the city is wandering through the narrow streets and there are some lovely little places to eat. Sorry can't give you directions to any - we always seem to get lost!!!
No probs.

I'll let you know how it went when we get back. :D

Thanks
Krishna
Hiya,

I need some advice please. I'm going to Venice next Tuesday for 6 days and staying on Lido.

Would you recommend buying a Venice card & if so which one :?:

Also, where can you buy them from and roughly, how much are they :?:

Thanks in advance :D
Krishna
x
Hi Just booked flights to Venice with Jet2. I am going out to Venice to join a cruise on the 27th August. Starts in Venice and ends in Barcelona.
I am travelling with a friend and we each have our own room. Found what I thought was a good price for the Bauer Hotel where my friend has stayed before. £155 B&B for a twin room for single. Everybody else has it at £200+ then when I tried to book 2 rooms the price went to £248 Too much. Booked one room and thought I would be able to do a further booking for 1 rooms. No good had one room at £155 and they explained it is how and when they buy rooms and from whom.
They have cancelled the room I booked and I see the cancellation on my booking on their web site no charge.
This morning I found a good price again with Travel Republic at £136 for the Westin Europa Regina hotel.
On the Grand hotel and looks good. Have gone ahead and booked 2 rooms and have got the confirmation etc.
The Hotel has its own landing pier and I wonder if anyone knows how much it cost for a water taxi from Marco Polo Airport to the Hotel it is in the Sans Marco district.

Many thanks

Sue
It's a few years since we did it but it was about 60€ then but I have to say it was worth every penny (don't know if my husband would agree) - Talk about arriving in style!!!
Hi Sue, I was in Venice in March. We were staying not that far from you and we got the waterbus from the airport. The water taxi's are very expensive, around €70 from the airport to the Grand Canal. ?The water buses stop right on the Grand Canal in the San Marco area. You can then wheel your cases where you need to go.

Sarah
Thanks for that but it would never do. My friend June would never agree to it so it will be a water taxi despite whatever it costs.
OH well we will just cut back on the VINO! or whatever!

Sue
I'm looking for a hotel in Venice that must have a lift. Stairs are no good.

Don't mind where abouts it is as long as it's on Venice itself and not Mestre etc. Medium price if possible too
I stayed in the Metropole at it definitely had a lift.

It's on the main island, just down from St mark's square so a good location although I can't remember exactly how it cost.
Thanks Jan.

At £266 per night :yikes over six days in July I think it may not be what I was looking for.
I was able to get the Westin Europa Regina Hotel on the Grand Canal a 5* Hotel for £136 single including breakfast in August. This was per night and for a double was not much more. I loved this hotel although the original room was small with a double bed. On speaking to the Hotel Reception I was upgraded to a really beautiful room overlooking the Canal with a view of St Marks.
Fantastic buffet breakfast including in the deal with Travel Republic.

Sue
Just booked flights for a weekend in Venice 28th Nov- 2nd Dec . £24 + 20 handling fee . £44 for the 2 of us . Bargain , how could I refuse . :)

Now I have some enjoyable hotel research planned for the weekend . will need to do this as cheaply as possible within reason so any suggestions for decent and good value accomodation would be appreciated .

lyn
Hi Lyn you'll absolutely love Venice. Hubby took me to Venice for our first wedding anniversary. It's far from cheap but well well worth it. We stayed in a place called Mestre, the hotel was called Delfino. There was a bus stop a stones throw away, a little newsagents by it where you buy your bus tickets. You can't go on a bus without buying a ticket first. We were there 2 and a half years ago and the bus ticket was 1euro 50 each. The hotel was roughly 10min away from central venice, we couldn't have had better to be honest.
Thanks lou . Have had a quick look at accomodation prices and actually not as bad as I had feared . still seem to be able to do 3 night in somewhere reasonably decent and well located for under £175 for 3 nights end Nov . Just depends how basic I want to go :rofl .

Will have a look at that one .

lyn
Hi Lyn.

We went to the Hotel Bel Sito in July (see this thread back in February) and found it absolutely perfect for our needs. We needed a lift but that would just be a bonus for you.

http://www.hotelbelsito.info/en/index.php and we booked through Venere http://www.venere.com/hotels/venice/hotel-bel-sito/

For the last weekend in November a double is £100 for three nights. The hotel is really well placed between St Marco and Accademia. It's in a lovely square just behind the Hotel Gritti Palace on the Grande Canale.
Thanks Harriers .Will have a look at that one . I was trawling through hotels and reviews all day yesterday and my head was spinning . There are so many :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.