Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Most of the people I know drink the water out of the tap in Estepona just down the road from Villacana, but some don't like the taste and use bottled water. I haven't heard of anybody getting an upset tummy through drinking tap water.
Thanks for your reply......will risk the tap then! :)
I can verify that the water is drinkable out of the tap. My husband and I recently returned from Fuengirola and used the water from the bathroom tap to make tea. There are also drinking fountains by the beach so there's obviously not the problem that there used to be with the water supply.
The problem with the water in Spain, is that it contains a very high mineral content ...(some more than others) in certain parts.

Had you been born in Spain and raised drinking the water, you would be, or I should say, your body would be accustomed to the high mineral content.

For someone who is not accustomed to the minerals, these can sometimes upset the stomach...therefore, me personally, I would stick to bottled water...it`s not exactly going to break the bank buying it.

The water in the Uk is of a very high standard, with regards to the filtration process, and therefore, it is "pot luck" if you can tolerate the Spanish tap water.

Loss of enjoyment, plus any medication that you might have to buy, if you are unfortunate to have problems, outweighs the price of a few bottles of water.
I know plenty of Spaniards who do not touch the tap water....only to get bathed in it...and you can see the "cloudiness" of the minerals in it....it is virtually impossible to get any kind of lather going.

Take a travel kettle and make a tea/coffee boiling water from the tap...at the end of your holiday the kettle inside is white with the deposits left behind.

Ask yourself this.....Is it worth it :?:

besos xx
sanJi
they dont recommend you drink the water ,but in emergencies we have boil it first.theres lots of minerals in it and can upset your tummy,bottle water is as cheap as 50 cents for a gallon but thats in supermakets in smaller shops it 50cents to a euro for a litre.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.