Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Hi Everyone :wave
Is it possible to do a Baltic / Fjords cruise end of Oct/beginning of Nov 05?

Looking for an alternative to the yearly sun beach holiday and next year we cannot go until after 23rd October.

If so please can anyone recommend any cruise companies to get info from or any web sites?

Thanks a lot
Jaime C :wave
Hi Jaime and welcome to the Cruise forum!

I think end October/November may be a bit late for a Baltic/Fjords cruise, not to mention a bit cold! The latest I have found so far are in September 2005.

You could try http://www.bookmeacruise.com , http://www.seaview.co.uk , http://www.cruisedeals.co.uk or any of the cruise lines' own sites.

Let us know if you find something suitable.

luci :wave
Why not look at a Norwegian Coastal Voyage. Cold yes, but fabulous scenery with all the snow in the winter months.
Pam
I know a few people who have been with N.C.V and they've all thoroughly enjoyed it, however, N.C.V isn't your average cruise line. The ships are full working ships so in 12 days there is approx 36 stops along theway, some only for 1 or 2 hours.

http://www.coastalvoyage.com/main05/sailing_schedule.shtml

HTH

Sandi
x
Hi Everyone, taking a look around to decide on our next cruise. I fancy the Baltic up to St Petersburg (have told hubby that tobacco is incredibly cheap in Tallinn so he is onside :wink: )

I've heard people say they'v cruised the Baltic and that the weather was lovely, but they always sounded surprised :!:

Please can anyone tell me whether or not it is likely to be rough :?: and how rough :?:

Thanks in advance

chrisie
I cruised The Baltic in September a few years ago and had nice weather.
Many Thanks Vivienne :yipee and welcome to the list.
The sea was fairly calm then :?:

chrisie
We have done a couple and the crossing can be a bit rough.(but we have had a week of F9 in the med as well). Once in the Baltic no problems. Weather can be a bit changable and chilly at night but some weeks can be really warm. Light weight rain gear and extra layers just in case.

On out Panama last year we were all warned about staying outside the Sun would be very strong so plenty of block and drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration. RAINED most of the day.

You cannot win with the weather so be prepared.
Yes, we were lucky and there were no problems with a rough sea - just seem to remember feeling a little bit queasy one evening.

Had a few hours of being seasick on a med cruise a couple of years ago - just booked a last minute cruise round the British Isles and Norway in June, so keeping my fingers crossed it won't be rough. Starting to worry a bit now, even though I had no problems last time, as there is certainly a possibility it could be choppy. I have been browsing message boards and will go prepared just in case. I will try one of the acupressure bands for my wrist, some ginger tablets and possibly some of the patches for behind your ear, but they apparently can have side affects so may try some other type of tablet.

Anyone any suggestions about what they have found helped them?
Many thanks for that. Doesn't sound too bad then. 8)

Hubby gets seasick and miserable - I just fall about - and that's BEFORE I get to the bar.
Just returned from a Baltic cruise on Fred Olsen Braemar. Was not sunbathing weather, but dry and calm sea all the way. Kept meeting various people from the Celebration who were cruising the same ports of call in a different order. The seemed to have had rain more often. I think it's just pretty variable and lots of layers is the answer.
Many thanks for that Maureen. Since himself found out that although tobacco is CHEAP in Tallinn, he's restricted to the non EU duty free allowance he's cooled off a bit about Baltic cruises. Keep saying how lovely it is in Barcelona 8)

Seems a bit mean since they DID join the EU but blimey :shrug
Hi,
I am new to this site but need some information.
Myself ,friend and 12 year old granson are crising for first time 20 aug with thomsons on the celebration to jewels of the baltic.
Does anyone have any tips for the excusions and any other tips.
thanks.
Terry
Hi Terrys and welcome to HT!

I have merged your post with a similar topic so you may find some information in earlier posts. There is a sticky topic at the top of the forums entitles DIY Excursions - Baltic Area which may also be useful.

You can also read reviews of the Thomson Celebration by clicking on Cruise Reviews at the top of the page. There is a topic on the ship HERE

HTH

Hi

I have booked to go on the Thomson Spirit baltic cruise can anyone answer a couple of questions that I have:
What are the average costs for excursions and is there a reduction for children?
What is the weather like aboard ship and shore during August, need to know what clothes to take.
I have never cruised before so have no idea of what to expect.

thanks
Hi Justinep
just come back from the Celebration which did the baltic this year. The trips vary in price eg the Walking tiur of Tallin (half day) is £17 for an adult and £8.50 for a child which is quite cheap but to be honest it is esy to do tallin on your own - we bought a book for 5 euros and walked around ourselves. At the other end of the scale is a full day (15 hours) trip to Moscow from St Petersburg which comes in at a cool £260 for adults and children - does include an hours flight though!

The average cost for a half day is £30 for an adult (roughly 1/2 to 3/4 price for children. Full day trips are between £60 and 70 but often include lunch. The best thing is to be selective - you need to do them in Russia unless you have your own visas but in most other places its fairly easy to wander around on your own. The ship often provides a shuttle bus to the town centre (apart from Copenhagen, for some reason!) at a cost of £3 return journey and the Destination Services team do really useful port talks on the best things to see. For example, in Aarhus, we walked to the open air museum of the Old Town (20 minute, cost free) and paid approx £8 for over 18s (so our 15 and 17 year old were free) We spent nearly 3 hours there as it was fascinating then wandered back to the town centre and had lunch by the canal. I'm not saying we saw as much as the official tour but it was much more relaxed and we saved £17 each. :D

By the way children on the Celebration trips were 16 and under, but when we were on the Spirit it was 12 and under - so check this before you book!
best wishes
Shirley
Hi Shirley

thanks for the info on excursions, really helpful.
My eldest just about makes the age 12 child for the spirit.
I have never cruised before but it sounded really good, so thought we would give it a try.
Thanks
Justine
Hello all, we are new to this board and wondered if someone can give us some pointers. We are due to go on the Thompson Spirit to the Baltic in August and wondered what sort of weather to expect if anyone has done it at that time of year in the past.
We did the Canary/Madiera/Agadir cruise on Destiny last year and thought it was great.
Any other tips about what to expect on the Baltic trip would be welcome.
Mike and Sue
Hi Mike and Sue and welcome to HT!

I have merged your post with an existing similar topic so you may find some useful information in earlier posts.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.