America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
I've had the same dilemma over the last month as people on here will tell you :)

I think flights for £280pp is a good deal.

We are going in May for the first time and initally when I priced up flights for two they were coming in at around £850 either direct from Manchester or Newcastle via Heathrow/Amsterdam. If you can be flexible on travel dates Airline Network often have great deals from London and Manchester (all year round but only up to March at the moment) so it can be worth waiting. Sadly that wasn't an option for us as I have to work around hubby's shifts and we only have 3 possible departure dates so I was terrified I wouldn't get anything.

I was persuaded by the guys on here to hang on and look between xmas and new year and I checked prices again on Wednesday and from Newcastle the prices had gone up to almost £920 BUT the prices of flights from Manchester had gone down to £700 :D I looked on airline network first and then booked direct with the carrier.

Again thanks to advice on HT I've booked somewhere to stay with a 48hr cancellation policy that we'll be happy with but I will keep looking as places like Travelzoo often have great last minute hotel rooms at vastly reduced prices.

We'll be travelling DIY and if I stick with the hotel I've got booked, all in we've got 5 nights for £1100

Hope that helps.
Thank you for your advice, I will have a chat with my partner and hopefully will be able to book very soon. I will then wait and book the accomodation in a few months time so we can search for a good deal :D .

Lea28
Anyone got an idea of the cost of a cab from Newark to Manhattan (west 49th st)?

Thanks.
http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/egtsmain.HTM

Hi Puddleduck!

Above is a list of all the transport options from EWR - Manhattan

Although here is a shortened version from Trip advisor

Getting here from Newark airport (EWR):
Below are listed the most common options in order of ease and convenience (in my opinion). Generally speaking the less expensive option is the least convenient. When considering how you want to come into the City remember that Taxi and Car Service prices are for the car, all other prices are per person.
Newark (EWR):
1. TAXI - Flat rate $50 to $60 + toll + tip). Follow sighs to Taxi Stand. Ask the Driver what the charge is to Manhattan - you will need to know where your hotel is.
2. CAR SERVICE - after getting your luggage (and going thru customs if coming in from outside the USA) call 1-800-922-7635 for the car service dispatcher. They will tell you where to meet them and the price Prices range from $45 to $65 + toll and tip. They will also, on request, meet you inside, but there will be an extra chage for both waiting (if your plane is delayed) and parking and it will usually not save you more than 10 minutes.
3. BUS Follow ground transportation signs. Look for "BUSES TO NEW YORK ". Take bus to "Port Authority bus terminal" or bus to "Penn Station -- MANHATTAN". Price $10 to $15 per person + taxi from Port Authority.
4. SHARED VAN - Shared Van service will usually drop you off at our door. Price: $17 to $25 per person.
5. TRAIN - Airport Monorail to Newark Airport station, then New Jersey transit to Penn Station New York, then NYC subway here (A, C, or E train downtown to 14th street), Cost $14.00 for the train + $2 for the subway or cost of a taxi from Penn station to here.
NOTE: There is a Penn Station in Newark, New Jersey as well as one in New York, New York.

HTH
Jaime C :wave
Thanks (yet again) Jaime!!
Hello all,

I have now booked flights for my first visit to New York in November for 5 nights. I now need to look for a hotel, can anyone recommend any good websites or hotels?

Thanks in advance :D

Lea28
Jaime (and lots of people on TA) recommended Radio City Apartments to me. They are close the the Rockerfeller Centre and Times Square with good city transport links . At current exchange rates, it's costing us £445 for 5 nights in May, which is very reasonable for the location. And the bonus if having a kitchen is great.

Official site is here - http://www.radiocityapts.com/
Reviews on TA here - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93393-Reviews-Radio_City_Apartments-New_York_City_New_York.html

If, like me, you like the sound of them then I would book them straight away as they are very popular. The great thing I thought about them (apart from the glowing reviews and the price) is that they have a 48hr cancellation policy so if I find a last minute bargain in a posh hotel I can cancel without charge.
Hi Puddleduck,

Thank you for the link to Radio City Apartments, they are looking very reasonable and the price is within our budget. I will see what my partner thinks later and will most likely book them.
Just one question did you have to pay straight away or do they hold your card details so you can pay when you arrive?

I am so excited now but it's still so far away :D !

Lea28
Just one question did you have to pay straight away or do they hold your card details so you can pay when you arrive?

Hi Lea, they just take your card details and payment is upon arrival.
Puddleduck,

Thank you so much for your help. Hope you have a good trip in May :D

Lea28
I'm off to New York in a few weeks with my daughter and I have a couple of questions. Is make up and perfume cheaper in New York and will my daughter's GHD hair straighteners work over there? Thanks for any help.
Hi,

Make up and perfume will be a lot cheaper. Bloomingdales, Macys, SAks, Century 21 and Sephora are main ones. The perfume sold on the stalls on the street isn't real so bypass them!

GHD's will work but won't heat up as much as they will here. You might be better buying a cheap pair in NYC in a chemist. I took my GHD's with us last year and they still straightened my hair ok.

HTH
Hi jaimec

My GHD's wouldn't work at all when we went to New York in December... (strange cos they've always worked in other US cities!). I ended up having to buy another pair.

U2fan
Hi U2fan,

Thats strange! maybe the voltage thing, then how did mine work? weird. Though they definately wernt as hot as they get here. Next time we go (when I can talk my husband into it) I would just buy a pair out there with the right voltage etc.

:oops: I was worried about them going missing when we were away though! LOL

http://www.foodsofny.com/

I'd like to book a Food of New York walking tour for lunch one day (looking at Saturday May 12th) as I think this'll be a fun and different way to see part of the city.
Trouble is I can't seem to make my mind up between the original Greenwich village tour and the "new" central Central village/Soho tour.
They are the same price, the foods not a problem as we like all kinds of foods and will try anything so I was wondering which would be more interesting for 2 people who have never been to NYC before.
Has anyone been on either of them? Could you tell me what you thought about please?

Cheers!
:D
Hi, I am interested in a long weekend trip to New York ( mainly shopping) with a friend. We are planning to travel from March 2008.
Does anyone know of any good deals or should we book at the travel agents.
Thankyou in advance :D
Does anyone know of any good deals or should we book at the travel agents

Sadly Charley, it's just a case of doing some leg work and seeing what's available.
Your travel agent will be able to give you some idea of prices but you may find it cheaper to DIY (we have). Depending on where you are flying from and how flexible you can be with departure dates there can be some good last minute deals - just a case of whether or not you can hold your nerve or if you'd rather have it booked in advance.
Most online travel sites like Expedia etc have sales in Dec/Jan, as do airlines and you can sign up on places like airline network for email alerts for such things. Travelzoo often have last minute hotel bargains.
From when I was looking at the beginning of the year it seems you can't seem to get as many bargains as used to be able to but I was able to get 5 nights for 2 travelling this May for £1100.

Hope that helps.
Has anyone seen any New York maps that will fold small enough to fit in a handbag?
(It's just to leave in there in case we get lost or need directions)
Puddleduck,

We went on the Greenwich Village one last year, it was excellent. Definatley go on one of those tours. It would be personal preference over the Greenwich Village or the combined one. It was well worth the money, we got to learn a bit about the buildings and the area as well.

Maps, when you arrive there are little booklets everywhere (free) we ripped a map out of them so had 1 page about A5 folded up in our pockets and the same for the subway.

There was another one too that Im trying to think of the name....it will come to me!

HTH
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.