Spain - All Other Costas, Inland Areas Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding all Spanish areas not covered.
Valencia Review
21 Posts
Hi Mickrory,

Glad you had a fantastic time. Thank you for posting a report. It is extremely helpful. You did a wise thing getting a taxi. Previous to my request re any information about the train from the airport I had looked at the train website which clearly showed a train route going through manises airport ending at estacion del norte. Since then I have looked at the airport website and it states the train line has ceased from 1st April 2005. To double check I went into the train website and sure enough this line has now been taken off the train routes. There is a bus which leaves from the airport to the city centre. But as previously said I am travelling further south (to Xativa, if anyone has any info would be grateful) so this would make my journey too long. I will have to resort to a taxi.

Could you tell me were the taxis plentiful at the airport and do they have their fares dislplayed?

Many thanks

Katherine
Katherine

Taxi rank was on your left outside the terminal building. The taxis charge 2.5 euros per passenger for an airport fare. we were charged 19+5 for the fare into the city and only 12 euros for the journey back. both fares were metered so i don't understand the wide difference.

I suppose you could negotiate your fare before you get into the taxi but you are under a bit of pressure because the taxis are coming in thick and fast and the cabbies tend to only speak Spanish.

A metro link to the Airport is under construction and will be ready next year so next time we go we will be okay.

Good luck.
Many thanks Mickrory.

Katherine
there is a free mapazine (map/magazine) available in and around the Valencia area that has loads of good tourist info in it.
it has a guide in there to help you find the places of interest, we tried it out last week and it was described very well, we didn't get lost once :D
I stayed at this 3* hotel in June 2005 and can recommend it. Clean, well maintained and very good location.
Hiya

I'm mega busy at work today - how inconsiderate!

Anyway, can anyone help me? We are going to Barcelona soon and want to fly to Valencia to watch a footie match!

Does anyone possibly know how far Villareal or to be exact the El Madrigal stadium is from Valencia city centre? Need to try and find a way of getting there!

I know its a long shot, just wondered if anyone knew Spain a lot better than I do!
The reason the line from Riba Roja calling at Manises (aeropuerto) is non operational is for the upgrade in preparation for the 32nd Americas cup to be held in 2007.The first time its been held off a European port in 152 years. Jilly E you have a pm.
Have booked our flights for March next year in time for the Fallas 2006.Booked for Alicante airport, as returns from Valencia were £120 each.Will be hireing a car to drive the 2 hrs along the A7. Am at present searching for accom.Most of the city centre hotels are already booked,so am looking at places further afield,inc hostals.Anyone with reccomendations? All info appreciated.
Just returned from three nights in Valencia - absolutely brilliant and left Barcelona for dead! If you want a true Spanish City experience this is the place. Saturday - walk in to old town, old river bed park, few tapas, siesta, evening meal down by the beach, taxi back, fireworks at midnight!

Sunday - Walk to beach stay for a few hours (28 degrees and bright sunshine), lunch at a cafe just behind the beach (street resembled a border town in Mexico - but get there quick it's due to be demolished). Back to hotel, siesta, bus in to town (1 euro a journey), bullfight (£8 a ticket), walk around old town, huge festival, great meal at La Fonda, massive fireworks at 11pm. Taxi back (problems getting a taxi due to the festival)

Monday - Old town for a wander during daylight, Camper shoe shopping (30% cheaper than UK), lunch near the station. Bus back, walk to aquarium (£14, but well worth it) largest in Europe, 2nd largest in World. 4 hour visit. Back to hotel for siesta, then meal out at La Sideria - cider bar and loads of tapas (£70 for 6).

Back to hotel for cava for my birthday!

We stayed at the Valenica Center Hotel - 4 star approx £50 a room a night. Great breakfast and it has pool, suana and gym.

Taxi from airport €22, taxi back in morning rush hour €16.

Valenica is hosting the 2007 Americas cup and the port/beach area is changing rapidly. A lot of the tradiional architecture near the beach will be demolished to make way for new roads and public transport systems, so if you want to see it go asap.
Just to remind anyone who like me is thinking of going to Valencia next year about the Americas Cup. It is actually taking place in June 2007 and so could affect the availability of hotel accommodation around that time.
To update my posting above , I have now found out that there are a whole series of sailing events starting in April 2007 in Valencia. These are to choose the finalists for the actual America's Cup in June. So the affect on accommodation prices and availability will be much longer-lasting than I first thought.

To quote an email I have just received from an apartment booking agency :-

Unfortunately, property owners are also taking profit of such market conditions

and

Please take into account that, at the present time, owners are expecting, on average, €1,500 /week or €4,000 /month rental income during the event in 2007

So , if you want to go to Valencia next year , be prepared for a hike in prices or (as we are planning to do) go before April, or after July
Just returned from a (very/ too!) brief 2 night stay in Valencia, & we loved it! Unfortunately it was just tagged on the end of our holiday, as it was easy to fly to from Madrid, so we didn't arrive until Friday afternoon, then flew out on Sunday morning.

On arrival we inquired about getting to the city centre & were told to go upstairs in the airport, out the front door & go to the stop on the right. We did this, & it was painless, the bus charging 2€ each, & dropping at the side of the train station. It was then about a 10minute walk to the hotel (Husa Reina).

After checking in, we spent a few hours checking all the sights around the Old Town, which was not as big as I had first imagined. Heading out that night, I stopped for a "tiger nut milk" from one of the ladies at the end of the street, as we looked for somewhere to eat. Paella was on the hit list, but we noticed a lot of restaurants had the same menu-card hanging outside, which tends to mean it's "packet-mix". We did arrive at a nice place betwwen the hotel & the bullring, & it was a few €s more than the others, but when we saw people eating a portion, we were sold. & yes, it was fantastic! After that we went to the Virgin Plaza & had a few drinks.

On Saturday we walked to the football ground, which was closed :( , then down to the dry river & walked along that until we arrived at that building that looks like a coffee bean (think it's a museum or something :) ). Went from there past the massive department stores, over to the Ameria's Cup marina. A huge place that must have cost a fortune. Unfortunately because it was so hot we stopped at Porto Pasta for 2 Diet Cokes, which cost €2.50 each! Didn't see food prices, but be warned.

From there we walked up the beach & past the big hotel (Arenas?), but when we cut off & went round to the front of the hotel the area was filthy, with what looked like squater dwellings. If I was spending the money to stay in that hotel, I'd be majorly miffed by the surrounding area. We had planned to cut across this area on route to the Old Toen, but decided against it & went back to the Marina & straight up the main road.

On returning to the Old Town, we grabbed a few souvenirs, but be warned quite a few of the shops & tabacs were closed & didn't re-open the rest of the day (this was about 4.30pm). Had a bite of tapas after that & a few beers.

Had nothing in particular planned for that evening, so went to a nice bar we' sat outside the day before, in the same area we ate on Friday night. We were checking the tapas menu on the wall outside, when the waiter greeted us & said, "Please, all this counter is service self.", pointing to the bar. All along it were plates filled with bread based snacks, 1€ for standard, 1.30€ for special. Great food, think I tried seven! :) .

From there we went back to Virgin Square, & had a jug of Agua de Valencia & a couple of beers.

We were flying at 11.00 the next morning, so decided to get a taxi to the airport to save hassle, & I think he charged about 14€.

All in all very enjoyable, & we both agreed that it's what we had hoped Madrid would be like. A lot cleaner, with tiled streets, & no threat of theft around the Old Town, for us anyway. I'm in work, so sorry if that lacked a few details, but if anyone wants to ask anything, I'll try to help. (street names, etc.)
Does'nt seem to be the easiest place to fly to from UK :( , what is the nearest " busy " airport , and is there a train connection ? Thanks to anyone who replies .

Stanley
Alicante is probably the nearest and there is a decent rail service all along the East coast of Spain.
I have just booked a flight to Valencia for next September from Coventry with Thomson. Total cost per person is £63.00.

Other airlines that fly there are:- Easyjet from Stansted, Bristol and Gatwick, Ryanair from Stansted, and Jet2 from Manchester and Leeds/Bradford. You can also fly with Air Berlin from Stansted but you have to change in Palma Mallorca.
Trisantona have you got a hotel booked yet? Be careful you don't get ripped off, as the Valencians are looking to charge serious money next Summer, because of the Americas Cup.
I have booked a 2 bedroom apartment for the first week in September for €498 ( £340). This is for one week. It's located about 5 minutes walk from the old town.
A friend lived in Valencia in the 90's and said that locally Paella was made with rat meat. Though the rats used lived in the paddy fields, and not the town.

Hope that doesn't put you off.
The best area for restaurants and bars is El Carmen, a quarter in the city centre. For restaurants, Correjeria street and for bars, caballeros street.

If you are looking for information about Valencia Hotels, this is a good site: valencia-cityguide.com
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.