Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Don't think you'll be able to get to Tenerife from Coventry any time soon I'm afaraid. Two reasons really:

1 - Tenerife is not a typical destination for lo cost airlines doesn't really work that well. This is because its a long flights, over 4 hours. So the aircraft will be away from base for around 10 hours. In that time it could have done two return flights to somewhere nearer and made the airline far more money. Some lo-costs do go there, and there are cheap flight only deals with the tour operators, but its not as common as Palma or Malaga.

2 - Coventry's runway really isn't long enough. A fully loaded 737, with passengers bags and enough fuel to get to Tenerife wouldn't be able to get up of Coventry's runway so until the runway is longer (again not probably in the near future) it really is not possible.
Hi

Am thinking of returning to Venice this summer. Last year I flew from Nottingam to Venice with Easyjet which was fine apart from the journey by train/bus to get there from the other side of Birmingham :(

I noticed last year Thompson flew to Venice daily but nothing on their website yet? Does anyone know if they might add this as a summer destination? Coventry airport must be easier via the train!

Alison :D
The airport at Coventry is a LONG way from the railway station - a good three/four miles out of city centre to the East.. There is a bus from the central bus station (Pool meadow) to the airport every hour on the hour (I think between 7am and about 7pm), ditto on the return but leaving the airport on the half hour. It is a fair walk to the bus station from the railway station though if you have baggage!

would have to suggest you consider a taxi
The airport at Coventry is a LONG way from the railway station - a good three/four miles out of city centre to the East.. There is a bus from the central bus station (Pool meadow) to the airport every hour on the hour (I think between 7am and about 7pm), ditto on the return but leaving the airport on the half hour. It is a fair walk to the bus station from the railway station though if you have baggage!

would have to suggest you consider a taxi

The bus route is the very aptly named 737. You can't miss it its bright blue the same as Thomson planes.

It stops at Coventry Train station so you won't need to walk to the bus station. It leaves the station at 10 minutes past every hour. The bus now runs longer as well, first bus leaves town at 7am, last bus leaves town at 11pm.
Thanks for the info - it takes so much longer to get to an airport here via British Rail than to fly to somewhere like Venice :lol:

Last year to get to Notts airport involved 10 min walk to station, 30 mins train to Birmingham - walk across Brum to main station - train to Nottingham (1hour 10) bus to airport (40 mins) was exhausted by the time i got to the airport as had to lug 28kg case!

Times like this i wish i could drive :roll:

Will keep an eye on the website see if Venice is added to the list of places Thompson fly to!

Alison :D
Has anyone used the car park at Coventry Airport . How far away is it from the actual airport . Would we need to get a bus or taxi to the terminal .

Cheers
Gail
Hi Gail

There are a number of different car parks at varying distances from the terminal. When we flew from there 2 yrs ago they wouldn't tell you which car park you were in until you got there! There are hopper buses to get you from the car parks to the terminal

Hope that helps!
Hi
Just returned from holiday, flew from Coventry airport and flights were on time both ways. From landing to getting into the car took about 15-20mins.
Pre-booked car parking through Thomson as you save 30%, car park is right next to the terminal, a couple of mins walk with the luggage. Flying from there again at the end of July

Daz
Has anyone got any recent reviews for coventry airport? I have been pricing holidays from several different airports and coventry is the cheapest by quite a lot. I am not interested in duty free shops etc i want to fly from somewhere that is efficient and this sounds like the right airport.? Can anyone advise?

many thanks

emma
We were transferred to Coventry Airport yesterday for a flight to Malaga.
How on earth can anyone call that an airport ? it is nothing more than a hanger with a shed by the side.

Duty Free.? forget it....3 shelves with odd bits of perfume, magazines and that's about it.!
Security.? well I was asked to remove my sandals, my hubby was behind me wearing "Nike" trainers with the heels transparent and full of "gel".
He bent down to start undoing the laces and they said " you're ok" and he went through with his shoes on which could have had anything in the heels....the shoe bomber .? :shock:

Humberside Airport is a small airport and out in the sticks with nothing but fields around it, but compared to Coventry, it is a palace.!!!
I fully expected Biggles to appear at any moment because Coventry reminded me of 30 years ago when airports were like that.

It is a joke and how they can call it an Airport is ridiculous.
If I had to fly from Coventry, then I'd never fly again.!
It's a cattle holding place, basic, old fashioned and not exactly clean either.
That place seriously needs some investment and instead of having Thomson flags flying, they should spend some money on the poo hole. :roll:

Sanji
Sanji,
click on me!
Looks like its a temporary thing for now. Sounds abit of a nightmare really!
Thanks jessop
I will have a proper look at the link you posted when I get back home and I will reply. :kiss

Hiya Briar.
I'm just popping in here while the hubby has a nightcap.
Your hubby wouldn't like Coventry unless he likes being kept in a glorified shed with absolutely nothing to do except sit on plastic chairs staring at 4 walls...it really is that bad, I'm not exaggerating the situation...there is nowhere to go and nowhere to walk once you have gone through security...except around the rows of plastic chairs ....which will take him all of a couple of minutes to do.
Infact if immigrants were kept in those conditions for a few hours, like we were, then the human rights brigade would be spouting on about their liberties. :twisted:

Obviously with living in South Yorkshire we had no idea what Coventry Airport was like, but if we had known, then we def would not have boarded that coach at Doncaster.

Having been bussed down the motorway for 2 hours and dumped in an hotel for 3 hours, even if it was the Hilton with a free breakfast, where the prices for drinks were daylight robbery and there was sod all to do, then dumped from 1.30 pm until 4.50 pm in a poohole...it was the last thing we expected and was enough to drive even me to drink. :twisted:
It won't happen again....Never ever again for me and if it had gone on any longer, then my hubby has said that he would have got out and got a taxi into Coventry and a train back to Doncaster and home. :evil:

sanjiiiiiiiiiii
we live fairly near coventry and havent used this airport, not sure i like the sound of it lol, but 1 thing is there has been a lot of complaints about this airport doing holiday flights since it started so maybe thats why theres not a lot there as they have been battling over it
maybe thats why theres not a lot there

Hiya Ellie.
Not a lot there is an understatement...there is :swear all there.
It's like a tacky canteen based in a shed....and there is no other way to describe it.

You have to leave the shed and go through security.....
Once through security all you have are plastic chairs, one toilet, one bar that sells drinks, (a bit like a corner shop counter) and skylight windows, so you don't see the outside world again until the flight is boarding.
When the place is full, it is extremely claustrophobic (spel ?).

It's a disgrace for a British Airport and I think there are only 3 check-in desks (4 at the max) so as you can imagine in my case, once the bus load of people arrived ...we all had to stand and queue again....already did that at Doncaster at 5 am that morning. :twisted:
I don't know about cheap flights, but quite frankly Thomson would have to pay me to travel from Coventry....and that will never happen.
But, I didn't get a cheap flight and be prepared to put up with bad conditions...I had paid a few pounds short of £1,400 for a package holiday in a 4* hotel and don't expect to be treat like riff raff or dumped in a :swear hole. :evil:

Sanjii
The only people to blame for the state of Coventry Airport are Warwickshire Disctric Council.

Coventry Airport submitted plans for a permanent, or proper, terminal building way back in 2004. It was decided in 2005 that this would have to go to a public inquiry. The public inquiry started in January 2006, and finished at the end of July 2006. Since then everyone has been waiting for a decision. And thats where we still are today, getting on for a year after the inquiry finished. If you ask me its disgusting that a decision should take so long...
Hi Briar,

From the sound of it your hubby would just love some of our airports up here in Scotland - especially those on the Western Isles and Orkney and Shetland - sheds all of them! Stornoway is the biggest in the Western Isles - from memory it actually has 2 check-in desks. The first time I flew back from there I was delayed on the way to the airport and couldn't find anybody at the check-in desks and started panicking that the flight had closed only to discover that it hadn't even opened yet. Forget what BA says about check-in times - at Stornoway the locals don't make their way to the airport until they see that the incoming plane has landed! The man who did arrive to check me in couldn't understand why I had panicked because, to quote 'We wouldn't have let it take off without you'. The only thing airside is, well, air! Once the flight is called for boarding, THEN you're processed through security and you go straight through the 'gate' ie the open door onto the runway apron and you board immediately. The facilities consist of a small newstand and cafe combined and nothing more. Barra is even better ie smaller, there the 'airport' is a shed on the beach and flight timetables are determined by the tide tables because the runway is the beach! Of course none of the above 'airports' handle international flights, just domestic flights from other Scottish airports.

But apart from Glasgow, Edinburgh and Prestwick those on the mainland aren't much bigger even if they do handle international flights. The first time I flew into 'Dundee International' the inflight refreshments consisted of the stewardess carting a cool box and 2 large flasks on board with her from which she dispensed sandwiches, tea and coffee. The 'baggage reclaim' consisted of a hatch in the wall! On my return flight home I discovered that the 'facilities' at the airport consisted of a couple of vending machines - I decided to forgo the coffee and wait for one from the stewardess's flask! Despite all that I decided to accept the job I had flown up to be interviewed for and so this is now my local airport. The terminal buildings have since been re-built but the facilities are pretty much the same and from the outside it's still indistinguishable from the sheds on the next door industrial estate.

Aberdeen is slightly bigger - it actually has a licensed bar both landside and airside, or rather it has a bar with one counter landside and another airside - an essential for any airport that handles the traffic to and from the oil rigs! And it even has a small 'duty free' that takes all of, ooh, 5 mins to browse around and look at every single item for sale :-) So bring him up to Scotland - he'd love it :-)

SM

PS Having also flown from Coventry about 20 years ago (to Ostende) I can assure you that it is bigger than any of the island airports and certainly bigger than Dundee International. Not that I was paying that much attention, I was more rivetted by the fact that we were flying with Janus Airways - and on their sign behind the check-in desk the 'J' had fallen off! It proved to be an omen - the actual plane made Coventry airport seem palatial. We stuck to using the ferries to Ostende after that!
Having also flown from Coventry about 20 years ago (to Ostende) I can assure you that it is bigger than any of the island airports.

I should hope it is, considering it's supposed to be an International Airport serving an English City and not some remote Island with more sheep than people.
There's small and modern and there's small and a :swear hole.
I dread to think what some passengers from abroad must think when passing through it, they must think they have come to a third world country. :roll:

It's a disgrace and it sounds like it hasn't improved one iota in 20 years.

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiii
I must admit I prefer flying from Coventry even though Birmingham is closer. Flights have always been on time leaving outwards & inwards(unlike donny), its well signposted so easy to find and car park is right outside the dep/arrivals shed. From landing, getting your luggage and getting in your car takes about 15 mins, no walking miles around the airport once you leave the plane.
You only spend just over an hour before the flight at the airport anyway whereas you spend at least twice as long stuck on a plane. As for duty free I either get it on the plane or from the airport the other end before we return.
You only spend just over an hour before the flight at the airport anyway

Unless Thomson decide to dump you there 3 hours before :twisted:

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.