Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Stayed in a resort about 400 yards down the road from the Andaman (the Krabi Sands Resort). Used to use the Andaman for internet. Hotel is directly on the Khlong Muang beach, not for the less mobile. Its a kind of strange hotel but is very popular with its clients and gets a lot of repeat custom. Next door is the extremly posh Nakamanda. Further down the beach is the Sheraton. In between is a very good beach restaurant where you can also get massage.

There are a small number of shops and restaurants opposite the hotel, can recommend the Baan Thai, the manager speaks good English and is very friendly. A new Irish bar has opened nearby. A walk to the Krabi Sands Beach restaurant is worth it to watch the sun go down, and for a meal. Its about a twenty minute drive to Ao Nang which is a good deal more lively. You don't go to the Andaman for a lively holiday but its on a god beach with plenty of longtail boats available for access to nearby islands.
Sorry forgot to mention you won't need malarials. Which hotel are you staying in in Bangkok?
I have asked for your hotel to be added to the reviews page( and yours Sunbear!!)
Thank you sunbear.

We are staying at the Landmark in Bangkok. I see there is a good report on hotel reviews. The girl we booked with on Hayes and Jarvis recommended and it looks really nice.

Most of all we are looking forward to snorkling so plan to visit a few islands as I understand not so good by hotel....is this true?

Also would like to do a trip inland to see elephants, is this possible from there?

We were in Goa last christmas and loved most of it but were really put off by beach sellers constantly hassling us. In the end my two teenagers would'nt come down to beach and stayed by hotel pool which was a shame. Is this the same in Thailand?

Thanks again

Sharron

Thanks again

Sharron
Can report back on the Landmark very shortly!( off there in April) but have stayed previously and it is a first class hotel! You do get sellers on the beach but I can't say they bother me. Some hotels do have guards who keep them away.
Don't recall any beach sellers on Khlong Muang. Anyhow I've never found them at all pushy in Thailand...once you say no thanks they move on. The beach did not strike me as a great snorkelling area though I did not try. You get quite a bit of dead coral wshed up on the beach so there must be a reef somewhere near.

The nearby island of Koh Hong has some coral reef for a little snorkelling (about 20 mins by long tail). Try to get there early to bag best spot under shade of trees. Theres a nature trail at the back of Koh Hong which makes a nice break from the beach. But on a sad note you will come accross some wrecked longtails and speedboats, a result of the tsunami.
Thank you fiona shall look forward to that. As we are only staying there a short time want to book a tour so as not to waste any. Would appreciate it if you can let me know if this is easily done from the hotel on the day. We arrive there around 5pm on day one, have all day the next and leave 12pm the next so as you can see we wont have much time for wandering around and getting a feel for the city...just a small taste I guess.
Sharron
Sunbear,
Thanks again for your information...all helps.
I wonder what you mean when you say the Andaman is a 'kind of strange hotel'. Please clarify
Thanks
Sharron
Yes - very easy! Our first trip to BKK was for only 2 days ( as I thought I might not like it :lol: ). We had our holiday booked through BA and there was a Tour East rep waiting for us at the airport. We decided our trips on the journey to the hotel! There is a tour desk at the hotel. Just get in their and book as soon as you arrive! Of course, you are going to the Grand Palace I hope!!
Thanks Fiona,
Yes Grand Palace top of our list of places to visit, also which is a must see temple. I note that the Emarld Budda is in the grand palace, however is it worth a visit to the temple of the reclining budda and or temple of the golden mount? Any other must do's we can squeeze in?
Sharron
When I said strange I just meant it had the feel of a hotel that has evolved over the years, so it does not have the uniform feel of a purpose built resort. Its set in tropical gardens which lead to the beach and its set directly on the beach so you can sunbathe there as well. I've spoken to quite a few people who stayed there, many return visitors who just love it.

Do bear in mind this is a very quiet area...most restaurants are shut by 10pm...the new Irish Bar Paddys may be open later...however it had no one in when we used to walkpast it every evening. Beyond the Krabi Sands an enormous Sofitel hotel is being built but I doubt this will be up and running by the time you visit at Christmas.

With regard to Bangkok you may end up at Wat Po, a large temple complex near the Grand Palace, has a large reclining Buddha...just been round it on a return visit...well worth a look. The Temple of the Golden Mount is OK but I'd pick Wat Po on a quick visit for its wow factor. Plus its less travelling in Bangkok's unpredictable traffic.

If your into shopping this can be done in the evening...most of the shopping complexes are open till late evening...you can use Skytrain and Skywalk to get to these...Siam Paragon is Bangkok's latest..pretty amazing if you like posh shops
Wat Pho was included in the trip I booked to the Grand Palace. My advice would be to plan a whole day trip - see what combinations they can give you. Have a look here for some ideas.
Wat Pho is well worth seeing!
I enjoyed Jim Thompsons Museum- a surprising oasis of calm in a busy city! Beautiful house. Also you can do this and then you are only 5 minutes away from the major shops! This may be an idea for your second day. When you say 12pm - I take it that is midnight?? ( BA flights are usually that time)
A trip down the river is a "must do" if you have time. You could take a river taxi to the Temple of the Dawn for instance.
There are so many possibles!
Hope you don't mind- I added to your thread title!
I stayed at the Andaman in Klong Muang beach 3 years ago. Lovely hotel with 3 swimming pools in a beautiful setting. Never crowded. No beach sun beds but you take deck chairs from hotel and sit on beach with feet in the sea!

Service and breakfats were superb. One of my favourite places. The hotel runs a bus each night to Ao Nang takes about 15 mins where there a number of good restaurnats and shops.

You MUST hire a boat from the beach outside the hotel. Buy some bananas first and ask him to take you to the mangroves canyon. He will take you along the coast to a river and some way in you stop and monkeys will come from the trees, swim across the river and sit in your boat eating your bananas. It was magic.

I would definitley go there again....you will love it!
Thank you DAS. everything we have heard about the hotel is good and am very excited even though 9 months away! The mangrove canyon sounds great and will do especially with two teenagers in tow, they will love it. Do you know of any elephant sancturies near there as would like to visit one if we can.
Sharron
Yes, you can arrnage elephant trekking whilst in Krabi. Enquire at one of the many agents in Ao Nang (nearby town). Try and fit in a boat trip to Phi Phi islands and also snorkeling trips .... they are wonderful also. Best and cheapest to hire the boat direct from the beach .. if you use agents or hotel you pay much more. I can say that my wife and I still think the monkeys on our boat was one of the best days we have ever had on holiday.

Near the hotel is a very good tailor (just outside) ... very cheap and good quality suits and shirts!

Hope you like Bangkok- pretty it is not! Noisy and crowded and manic it is. Despite this it is still my favourite city and I always stay there a few nights when we go to Thailand. I hope you will feel the same.
When in Bangkok spend one night at Suang Luan night bazaar (next to lumphini park). Good choice of shops and a huge outdoor food hall that your children may like. Football pitch sixed eating area with tables and chairs mainly visited by Thais. You change money for vouchers in a kiosk and order food from any of about 80 food stalls along the side. Drinks are brought to by waitresses. Food is fantastic and cheap (chicken currey and rice 50P!). On stage all night Thai acts play live music (Blue, Black Eyed Peas, etc) - quite good and on screen behind them on Saturday nights they show live premiership football from UK (no sound).

Can also recommend cabbages and condoms as a greeat restaurant off sukhumvit road - cheap but geat food and a good cause.

Best shopping centre probably the Emporium. I bought Pierre Cardin shirst here for £14. Wife bought shoes and handbags at low prices. There are also lots of designer shops and eateries in the centre. It is right next to a skytrain. I also like Robinsons Dpt stores, there are a couple of them also near to sky train stations. Try to get hold of a good map!

You will love it. This year we went to koh Samui for a change and although very nice, we thought it nowhere near as good as Krabi or phuket.
With regards to good maps of Bangkok I can recommend the Nelles one, its good enough to allow a walk around parts of Bangkok. Many others I have used just don't have the detail.

Another trip worth doing in the area is done by Sea Canoe (the company name) where they take you inside some of the hongs some of which are amazing. You get the chance to paddle yourself as well.

Oh and if you like elephants the hotel next door Krabi Sheraton sometimes brings one out on the beach...about 3 in the afternoon to splash in the sea.
We use Nancy Chandlers map- great detail and tips on it. Have a look here
DAS said
You will love it. This year we went to koh Samui for a change and although very nice, we thought it nowhere near as good as Krabi or phuket

You've put into words what I've often thought...mind you I'd have to be selective about which part of Phuket I was comparing it with.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.