Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
My Dad lives in Puglia / Apuglia (seems to go under both names). I will try and give some helpful advice.

The easiest way to get there is using (lovely old) Ryan Air from Stanstead airport to Bari or Brindisi. You can fly Italiair from other UK airports change at Milan or Rome then go to Bari or Brindisi, but you must remember this airline is troubled and flights in Italy are often cancelled.

I have never drove or ridden down so cannot comment on the journey. I always hire a car at the airport. Driving is an eye opener no one obeys any rules; just keep your wits about you.

I have stayed in Hotels and Motels while travelling around the region, they are cheaper than the UK always been clean and have had some nice local food in the motels

There is a lot to see in this area castles, caves, lovley towns like Alberobello, Monopoli and thousand of trulli's. I'm not a beach person so I cannot comment on this.

Supermarkets are generally cheaper than the UK especially if you stick to the local stuff, eating out is a lot cheaper than the UK (all food is fresh no ready meels).

It gets very hot in the summer.

English is not widely spoken in this region. Plus tourism has not taken off yet. If this is what you like go for it is a beautiful part of the world.

If I get time I will upload some pictures
did you go to puglia im thinking of going end of year was it lovely
Jenny, we are going in August and staying in a trulli 10 mins from Oustuni - I'll be posting a full trip report when I get back if that won't be too late.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.