EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
The same applies to the French Carte de Sejour for exactly the same reasons as you gave! You CAN ask for your old one to be extended or reissued IF you can persuade the local bureaucrats, which luckily I have been able to do. Apparently here the old one is still valid for proving your identity, but in no case is it acceptable as a travel document on its own for travel to the UK!!! (I once tried this on Dover customs officials ....... never again .... though I did have my passport for backup.)

French driving licences with photo and current address are still valid for proving one's identity, and although you are supposed to carry your passport with you (and I do), the fact that it doesn't officially state your address can annoy a French official who's having a bad day before you came to his/her notice!
What's even better is that we have been told that under no circumstances are you allowed to fold, or laminate, the new certificate!!!! So are supposed to carry around an A4 sheet of paper all the time :que Totally impractical!!!

My expired residencia wasn't taken away from me last year at renewal, and I still use it as ID, with no problems, plus I have a spanish driving licence as back up. I am certainly not going to carry my passport on a day to day basis!
They kept my old card, maybe because I didn't ask to keep it (I only thought about it a couple of hours later - by then they had shredded it). Regarding the certificate, they told me to get a colour photocopy, take it back to them and they will stamp it as being an authentic copy (which we can then fold up and keep with the passport).
Can't you get a laminated "business card" style copy of your passport?? You can get them done here in Benidorm, and all places (banks, shops etc) accept this as proof of your ID (ie when you're using a bank card and need a passport as proof of ID). I never carry my passport around now, just this "card" which fits nicely into your wallet.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.