Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Rome
7 Posts
Hi- it's a few years since we stayed in Rome. We went to St Peter's straight after breakfast, and there was a queue then, but not too long, and it moved quickly. We went to the vatican museum after that. I would think it's best to get there as early as possible before the cruise tours etc arrive.
As my experience is a bit out of date, you might try posting on the city breaks forum as well.
Have a good trip, it's a lovely city, though a bit hard on the legs!
kate
This previous topic may also provide some useful info:
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=119814

David :wave
Yes the first time we went to the Vatican was in the afternoon and the queue to get into the Sistine Chapel was a mile long. We went in the morning next time and got in no problem.

There is a cafe there that sells beer if you get thirsty!

luci :wave
Thanks Kate

Will take my walking shoew
We went with a tour group for entrance around 2pm I think which was supposed to be the best time :( . Met the tour guide around 12-12.30 and after a little talk she stood in the queue for us whilst we had pizza and a pint watching her make her way along the line .

Think that took about an 1.5-2 hours but I've since learnt that you can book a tour direct on the vatican website and walk straight to the front .

That might be the way to go Steve.

My only advice is don't wear yourself out before you get there & wear comfy shoes . If you walk it's a fair trek just making your way up to St peters once you have arrived on the outskirts of the vatican city . My feet were killing me by the time we started the tour and spoilt it for me . by that time I was miserable & narky and shuffling along on that conveyor belt of crowds with feet that felt like they were on fire was not an experience I would like to repeat .
by the time we arrived at the sistine chapel I just collapsed on one of the benches that round the wall and barely took it in .
Thanks for the tip Lyn, I think I will book on the net rather than wait in line
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.