Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
I've never ventured to Majorca so can't comment on it - I could be totally wrong but I've just got the perception of it being a place suffering from Brit overkill, football tops and boozed up 18-30's - whereas Menorca in our experience over quite a few years, is that it's more cosmopolitan, completely chilled, family friendly and has a bit more class (and I'm not being 'snobby' by that comment - as coming from Essex I'm anything but!).

Santo Tomas on the other hand is very small - and there never appears to be much going on. Over the years we've always stayed at Cala Galdana - the next resort along the coastline; so we've had a couple of drives into Santo Tomas at night (just for a change of scenery). At the height of Summer, it's always appeared very quiet and we've never bothered to spend the entire evening there. Even when Menorca was buzzing, Santo Tomas never looked busy, nor has there ever been any atmosphere about the place.

Maybe I'm wrong but I always got the impression that most people that ended up there were people that had booked an absolute last minute deal (oh, for the happy pre-internet days of Teletext and checking the places out in a holiday brochure ;-) ) and that this resort was subsequently used by holiday companies to fill up the numbers if there was an influx of late bookings - and even then, it was probably at the bottom of their contingency list. The beach looks okay - but again, doesn't appear to be very large - and the water has always generally looked a bit choppy (unlike Cala Galdana that has a horseshoe bay breaking the waves/wind).

We've often picked up from there on the coach back to the airport and as you drive into Santo Tomas, within about a minute you are at the end of the main thoroughfare - with the driver turning around to drive back out again. What it did confirm is that when we've driven there ourselves, we'd not missed out a part of the resort (as we originally thought). How can I compare it? Well if Cala N Bosch could be considered Menorca's version of Blackpool, then Santo Tomas is most definitely Morecombe!

I can only give you my limited experience and perception of the place and wouldn't want to put you off if it feels okay for you. However, given that most places are down on numbers across the Balearics, I can't imagine how quiet this place must now be by comparison.

Moreover, I certainly wouldn't want to put you off visiting Menorca - it's a gorgeous Island and has been our favourite destination for years. We are off to Cala N Bosch next week (for just a week) and as we're taking our 4yo nephew, we've tracked down a place that seems to cater more for children. I will post some feedback of the Hotel and location when we return so, if you are not in any rush to book, you may want to wait and read a few reviews - particularly as the Holiday Summer Season is now beginning to get a little busier.

Whatever you choose, I hope you have a great time. It's just a lottery isn't it when you book somewhere you haven't been - and particularly in these times, a lot of money wasted if it doesn't tick most of your boxes. :tup
"but apparently alot of hotels was robbed on the island terrible really "

what did you get that information from?
Santo Thomas is lovely and the splash pool for the kids are great if you want a chilled out holiday stay at the M & L hire a car from the shops their for about 60euros a day and travel around the island Calan forcat is a bit like Skegness also full of English but nice for a day but not for a whole week lol its mini London in my eyes it depends on what you look for in a holiday.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.