Camping and Caravanning UK and Europe

Discussions regarding camping and caravanning in the UK and the rest of Europe.
Moorlands
5 Posts
I don't know the caravan park itself but Saddleworth can be bleak in bad weather - it's a great place for outdoorsy people but doesn't have a great deal else to offer. I note that on their home page they stress how many other places are within an hours drive of it - perhaps a recognition of how few attractions it has in itself?

Personally, whilst I have done a lot of walking in the area (I used to live in Middleton - just the other side of Oldham for a while) I have always found it to be a very sad place. Even friends who didn't realise exactly were we where walking have commented on it. I think that some places that have seen great tragedies and sadness such as Glencoe and Culloden can have eerie, sad atmospheres and I think that Saddleworth does too, especially on a typically bleak, misty Pennine day and I can understand why your hubby might be a bit doubtful.

SM
SMa, I know Middleton, we used to live in Heywood, and have travelled quite a lot over Saddleworth moor, just haven`t deviated from the M62, so therefore haven`t come across the site in question. We are coming over to visit relatives in Heywood and Bury in September, so needed a base for just 3 nights. We may still try Moorlands some time in the future, but we`re now looking at Gelderwood Country Park in Ashworth Valley, near Heywood. Thank you for replying.
So you'll know my old local then? The 'Ring of Bells' up on the hill by the parish Church - I lived just round the corner when I worked as Youth Worker for Rochdale Council. And I do miss Bury Market even after all these years. :D

SM
Sorry SMa, I was never much of a pub goer, but I know what you mean about Bury market! We have quite a well known twice weekly market here in Boston, but it aint a patch on Bury. Once you get away from the North West, decent markets are very hard to find. We`ve booked at Gelderwood Country Park by the way, and it does have the advantage of being near to the folk we`ll be visiting.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.