Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
The problem is that Malta is in the eurozone and prices tended to rocket and you dont tend to get much value for your money becuase the £ is so poor. That said, Bugibba is used to catering for vast parties of stags and hens also and there are some bargains to be had...The Apple bar on Tourist Street is very very cheap...with beer at just 1 euro a pint and shots 2 euro's..( I got very very drunk there one night..so bad I didnt touch a drop for the rest of the holiday..and fell down a pothole on the way back to the hotel..for which i still have the scar on my knee 18 months later.. :whoops ) but it had a great atmosphere and the owners and staff were great.

There are many bars and restaurants in Bugibba but very "english" in terms of offering cheap and cheerful breakfasts...almost all the pubs are like this. You would pay less than 10 euro's for a full breakfast for 2 people..including the drink..

A "must try" is the "pea pie" a little pie with peas in, spicy..very very nice...very very moorish. I think generally the chicken dishes are the cheapest. There is a good chinese place..who's name I cant remember now ( i am sure i mentioned it in a review) which was very reasonable in price. If you have any kids with you, there is a McDonalds etc. The tourism industry has taken abit of a dive with the recession and the Maltese themselves told us they were struggling, so there is a lot of competition..but peversely, some people put thier prices up to try and make the quick money....

I will try and find all the info I posted about bars and restaurants in Bugibba to see if I can send you the link...
Hi Val - If after that little lot, you have anything on prices in Sliema - I'd be very grateful :tup You have got until next Easter to think about it :rofl
None at all Val - but I would like to have one really nice meal while we're there, so a reccommendation would be good :tup
Val did you eat at Granny's just up from the Square in Bugibba? We had some good meals there years ago and they were very reasonable, just wondered if they're still good value for money.
Based on personal experience on visiting Qawra (continuation of Bugibba resort) a number of times you can get a full English breakfast in the Bell Pub for 2.50 EUR including tea or coffee and the same price at the Welcome Inn just over the road but I think the Welcome Inn is a slightly bigger breakfast ;)

A main meal at the Bell Pub will set you back between 6 and 10 EUR.

There are a number of bars and restaurants along Tourist street and a pint is anywhere between 1.50 EUR to 2.50 EUR depending where you go of course.

I was last there in February this year as I flew out to meet up with my parents whilst they were out there on holiday for 4 weeks.

They stayed at the Soreda Hotel which is about 10 minutes walk from the main bus station and just a couple of streets away from the Santana Hotel.

Eating and drinking in Malta is cheaper than here in sunny Cyprus. It's easier for me to compare prices as we're using the EUR currency in Cyprus. A lot depends on the EUR rate of exchange for the UK Pound. It's all a bit up and down at the moment so I would suggest you change a little before you fly out but change the rest as and when you need it in Malta. There are plenty of exchange places along Tourist Street. A lot recommend changing money at "Mary's" (on the corner near Trollees supermarket) just before you reach the bus station if you're walking downhill from the Bugibba Holiday Complex (on your left), the St Antone and the Post Office. However, we've found there are other places offering the same or better so it's best to shop around whilst you still have some currency in your pocket.

Oh, and the cheapest Chemist is the one on the side street immediately behind the Bus Station ;)

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.