Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
The strip will be very very quiet in December until Christmas when a lot reopen for the festivities, maybe 8/10 bars, & less of numbers with restaurants open (from top to bottom). Not sure about the old town though maybe cubsur can help you on that end.. St Eulalia at the 5 palm trees roundabout tends to have quite a lot of bars restaurants open due to long stayers over the winter at Clube Praia da Oura, Oura Praia Hotel, St Eulalia beach Club & Hotel & Apartment complexes at Pedros Dos Bicos
Thanks JayJan,
We are staying All Inclusive but will still venture out to some of the local bars, We are going back in June 2010 with the kids but we are going to stay at the Vilanova complex which will be interesting cos last time i stayed there it was a Thomson Superfamily!!
Many of the bars in the old town are also closed until 19th or 26th December.

I know these will almost certainly be open, in the evenings at least, because I will in them. nose glued to the football on TV:

Gold Spot Sports Bar
Ricky's Bar

plus

Cavern, Geordie Viking,

and

Sir Harry, Rock Cafe and various other tourist traps around the square.

The Portuguese locals bars, cafes and pastelarias will be open as usual. They do sell beer. But they may close early if the weather's bad and its too cold to sit outside and no-one is about.

Perhaps if you check back a day or two before leaving I will have noticed the up to date situation.
Hows it looking for this weekend guys??? :tup
Just got back :cry had a brilliant time, will write a review when i have more time but wanted to say how good it was and even though it was out of season the strip was busier than the old town :)
Aww glad you had a good time Alexfan :tup I love the Algarve :cheers
Not much busier than December I think. Yes there will be places open but it won't really get going until after Easter.
we will be travelling to albuferia 21st dec to 28th dec,staying a1,not expecting much in the hotel in the way of traditional fare for the 25th so does anyone know if any of the bars or restuarants do christmas lunch,thanks in advance. :cheers
Hi
The Cottage (top of strip) is definitely open but 2nd sitting fully booked, places on 1st sitting were still available, best to check website and call if interested.
Probably lots more but I only know these details because the owner is a regular poster on an Albufeira forum.
thanks for the info,i take it that the original owners are still there,i was just looking at one of the forums where pete stated in july they were looking to move.
Yes original owners, from his (Pete's) posts he has leased or sold it and has acquired a place further down the strip and is awaiting planning permission, he was hoping to be up and running by March.
They have been closed for a few days and re-open Sunday 4th December (I hope... because that's when I'm in town).
thanks again,found website for the cottage re,xmas lunch it says the owners are pete and they are advertising xmas lunch,mailed them but not sure if its the correct site now,if they have leased it.
Hi there, no doubt it's business as usual until he announces it on his Web page. ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.