France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Before Alsacienne chips in. I would vote to stop in Colmar. It is just a few miles away from Mulhouse on the same road but much, much nicer. Mulhouse is Manchester! Colmar is Stratford upon Avon.

Plenty of budget hotels in Colmar. Etap, Ibis etc. last time we stayed (last year) we used the hotel Roi Soleil which was about a 30 minute stroll from the town centre. There is also a Roi Soliel prestige next door. We paid about £35 per night for our stay B&B. We have also stayed in the Ibis at Horburg Wihr (about a 40 minute walk from the town centre) and the Etap which is right in the centre of town. Really, consider this as an alternative to Mulhouse. We did and overnight there on the way to Italy in 2007 and have had two more visits there since then as holidays!

I should add that the Sol Roliel was free parking outside as was the Ibis. The Etap you parked in a beasement under the hotel for a small charge. I believe the Ibis in Colmar town centre does not have its own car park.

If you do choose Colmar then ask again for eating recomendations!
I've stayed overnight in the IBIS Budget (formerly Etap) in Mulhouse. Basic but clean, air conditioned, free wifi, free secure parking. I paid around €40 for the room.

I would also choose Colmar which is a much more attractive place to stay though the Ibis budget there is often booked up quite early. But as Hi De Hi says there is a choice of other hotels t.

But if you are only wanting a place to sleep then the Ibis Budget in Mulhouse would fit the bill.. It is in the middle of a lot of office buildings so no shops in the near vicinity if you need to buy any supplies.
Ooo thank you for your replies so far...

It looks like Colmar it is then...now off for a look!

May be back later for recommendations in Venice (Mestre) and Verona!

Katy x
Colmar town centre is very nice. Even if you are only there for an overnight you can have a very nice stroll round, look at the churches and cathedral, see the 'river' (really a stream). Plenty of nice places to eat but I can recommend this place

http://www.restaurant-pfeffel.fr/accueil/restaurant-colmar-alsace-pfeffel-accueil-en.html

We have had several lovely evening meals here. They do an a la carte and several fixed price menues. Thier local wines are also very nice.

I'm sure Alsacienne will be on this thread soon to extoll the virtues of Colmar.

I should add that when we did the Italy run we did our frst overnight in Colmar and our 2nd in Cremona where we used the Ibis which was very close to the town centre.

On the way back we did our first vernight in Colmar and our 2nd in Dunkirk getting the ferry back the following day.

We crossed Switzerland and instead of taking the Gothard tunnel we went over the Gothard Pass. Going down we did it in glorious sunshine. Coming back we did it in a thunderstorm. Both journeys were spectacular!
You will need to buy a Swiss tax disc (Vignette) at the border as you enter Switzerland. This is valid for the year. Sometimes you can buy these on the ferry. We did the Dover/ Dunkirk route. Longer crossing (2 hours) but very cheap (in fact we upgraded to 1st class and it was sill cheaper than the other crossings). It gives you a good run through Belgium, Luxembourge, and into France to get to Colmar.
Thank you so very much for your knowledge Hi De Hi...

I just read your post out to Hubby.

We will be crossing Via the Eurotunnel from Folkstone to Calais with one overnight in Colmar then up and on the road to Mestre for the first few days...

We then plan on travelling to Modena for a night as hubby's cousin live there and so we will touch base and have a meal with them then the next day head to Verona for a few days...

Katy xx
Katy

I don't know whether you already have accomodation booked in Mestre but I was talking to a friend this afternoon who mentioned she had recently been to Venice and stayed in the Hotel Roma in Mestre, (http://www.hotelromavenezia.it/index.asp?lng=ing) I remembered your post and thought you might be interested. She said the Hotel was clean and comfortable and the Prices were reasonable, had a good buffet breakfast and other benefits included an enclosed car park with CCTV cameras, she said it was less than two minutes from a bus stop (bus no.6 she thought) directly to Venice Piazzale Roma (with tickets being sold at the Hotel reception) and when she was last there there was a lovely pizzaria about a minute down the road which did great pizzas at good prices.

She also mentioned that she takes advantage of a vaporetto pass which she says is available for 1,3 or 7days. Details here http://www.venicewelcome.com/actv/vaporetto.htm she said it's a great help for when your feet get really tired and if you get lost.

Of course you may have already made all of your arrangements and be totally familiar with Venice and it's Vaporetto, but the info could be useful to someone else.
Thank you so much for this infomation Judith...

We have not booked accomodation yet, only an overnight in Colmar in the IBIS Budget on your reccomendation :tup

We have only visited Venice the once which was about 15 years ago when the boys were 4 and 6 so it will be like a first time really so we really do appreciate any advice, tips and info that anyone is willing to give.

Many thanks,

Katy x
I don't know when you'll be arriving in Colmar or whether you've decided to take the A35 from Strasbourg to Colmar or come by the Col de Bonhomme (A31 from Metz - Nancy - St Dié - Kaysersberg - Colmar) but there are currently sufficiently major roadworks on the A35 in the area of Seléstat which might delay you.

Might I suggest you look into the situation a bit closer to your date of travel - http://www.viamichelin.fr may have details - and reconsider your route if you are likely to hit the local rush hour (between 5 and 7.30 each weekday evening).

Hope you have clear roads (apart from this potential blackspot) and a great holiday.
The Col de Bonhomme is a beautiful route through the mountains and forests. The A35 is a bit like a farm track in places (unless this is what the roadworks are sorting out).
Hi,

We are 'hoping' to arrive in Colmar about 4-5pm...so may just miss the local rush hour...it is our intention to park up and have a wander to get something to eat and drink and stretch our legs a little after the long drive from Ipswich!!!

I have pointed Hubby int he direction of this thread as he will be the one driving so any more useful tips and hints are greatly appreciated. :tup

Katy xx
Thank you for suggesting Colmar, as opposed to Mulhouse... :tup

Had a wonderful evening there...such a lovely place and planning on returning sometime soon to spend a little longer there.

Katy :wave:
Glad you enjoyed it Katy. Colmar really is a lovely old town.
Not so old. My information says that it was pretty much destroyed during WW2 and then rebuilt in the original style ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.