Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
For myself I would want more, especially if hiring a car for a couple of days.
Always the possibility that you cannot eat the hotel food and need to buy meals out.
we were there in November for 8 days all inclusive and still spent £600 that didn't include any trips depends what you want enjoy yourself :cheers
Oh my goodness. I had thought the reply would be that £600 would be plenty. Is it really that expensive?
Fiona wrote:
Oh my goodness. I had thought the reply would be that £600 would be plenty. Is it really that expensive?

I was going to say the same Fiona especially if they don't drink. I'd have thought £600 would be ok. :yikes

Welcome to the forums Meggles :tup
Fiona, they probably need to budget in the region of £40/50 for two days car hire plus petrol, a couple of excursions could easily be another £100 or more if if booked through the TOs reps and depending on what sort of trip it is. So probably best to allow a minimum of £200 for sightseeing. That leaves a budget of approximately £65 per day but they are only half board so by the time you've bought lunch for two each day, perhaps had an ice cream or snack whilst sat around the pool or on the beach, bought drinks to go with your meals (even if only non-alcoholic ones), gone for a stroll of an evening and perhaps stopped off for a coffee at a cafe on your way you are making quite big inroads into that budget.

So, yes, it is probably just about doable on £600 for a couple but you would need to watch the pennies very carefully. And like the others I would prefer a bigger buffer for just in case or to feel that I could eat at least one dinner out away from the hotel for a change etc.

SM
perhaps I am out of touch with car hire and perhaps it is cheaper early in the season, but I would have expected more than £40-50 for two days car hire.
More like £70-80 I would have thought.
Always the chance of uninsured damage to the car also. tyres etc.
Clearly if Meggies is also taking some plastic along, things are a bit different.
We would find £600 plenty. We would have a coffee in the middle of the morning, lunch and drink, late afternoon snack and drink and have been known to have an ice cream, drinks of an evening but not big drinkers. Car hire and trips I think would work OK
meggles,
try pricing up car hire and excursions now to give you an idea of costs.
i have never hired a car when we have been to gran canaria, we stay at playa del ingles and just hop on a local bus to visit masapalomas (for camel ride lol). puerto rico etc.
we jumped in a taxi to visit palmitos park and sioux city . we probably didnt spend £600 (not counting buying gifts to bring home)
we stayed all inclusive but still had meals and drinks when we were out and about
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.