Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Saas-Fee
14 Posts
Hi Corinne, like you I have often gone on summer alpine holidays but I can't tell you much about Saas fee because we've never been there but thought that it might be of interest to you to hear why we haven't ever considered it in the past.

1) It is very much a winter destination and we never found much information about what was available to do in the area in the summer.

2) It's a popular winter resort because most of the slopes are at high altitude and north facing so the snow on the runs tends to be pretty reliable but that means that if you are interested in summer walking then it sounds as if it could be cool in the summer if you are largely restricted to north facing paths etc.

3) We are relatively lazy summer walkers - a good base for us is one where there are enough chair lifts and cable cars to take us up the mountains so we can then walk the ridges and descend via a decent mountain cafe to the valley. The Saas Fee skiing area seems to be mainly served by T- bar lifts which of course won't be running in the summer leaving you, as far as I know, just two chair lifts and the funicular, unlike other areas in the Alps where there are extensive chair lift and cable car systems which run all year round to take walkers up to the higher slopes.

I'm not wanting to put you off because you might be after a different type of holiday to us but as I said, I thought that it might be useful for you to know why we had never considered it.

SM
Just asked OH as I know he has been to Saas-Fee a number of times. In the 80's and 90's it was one of his regular short holiday destinations. He is a mountaineer though and there was enough of a variety of high mountains to climb to keep him busy on his many visits.

I know you like hiking so there will be plenty to do if the weather is fine but he says like anywhere in the Alps the weather is unpredictable, you could get rain, and even in July snow and the place isn't such that you will have lots of alternate activities to fill up your time. I believe there is a leisure centre with a pool but not much else, it really is a place for outdoor activities. I believe there is a regular bus service into Brig which being a larger town has probably more to offer.
Hi SM

Has it been a while since you last looked at the area? There is a lot of info on http://www.saas-fee.ch/en/WillkommenSommer?sw=s about what you can do and it looks like there will be 4 lifts open in Saas-Fee itself and a further 4 in the surrounding area, most of them included with the Citizen's pass. Interesting to hear about the north-facing aspect of the location though - it wasn't something I had considered - hopefully that would be less of an issue in the high summer, or at least we could make the most of the sun by getting out early. The main reason we have been considering Saas-Fee is the hotel (nearly all meals and drinks are included), as most of the rest of Switzerland is way over our budget. I'd still be interested in looking at other resorts though - is there anywhere you can suggest?

Judith

We certainly won't be mountaineering - I get bad vertigo at altitude and am not really that fit. We've generally done quite well for weather in June/July in alpine areas, apart from when we went to Selva where it was pretty cool and even snowed one day. It looks like the local swimming pool is currently closed for renovation but should be open by the summer, the hotel also has a small pool and sauna so that would be another option. Again, any other resort suggestions are welcome!
Even though I can drive to Switzerland in around an hour and a half I haven't been for a while now. I t just became so expensive and to be honest I'm really not as fit as I was so very active holidays are losing their appeal.
Over the years I have stayed in numerous villages/resorts in Switzerland but mostly in winter for ski-ing, although I do remember spending time in places such as Davos, Klosters, Lauterbrunnen in summer. These days though we tend to go to Austria in summer The weather isn't a problem for us as being retired we can just look at the weather forecast and if it looks good we can just pack our bags and head south for a couple of days.
It is a while since we looked at the area and I was basing my comments re chairlifts etc on the map to be found here

http://images.gadmin.st.s3.amazonaws.com/n51648/images/saasfee_keyvisual/pistenplan_2012.jpg

As you say, Switzerland is an expensive destination but I fell in love with the Bernese Oberland in my early teens and there are number of possible resorts to base yourself in though again I haven't been recently (mainly because it is expensive). But I know Austria better and we always loved Mayrhofen and Kitzbuhel too with Zell am See another good base for walking. The latter two both provide the opportunity for day trips on lake steamers. I think that we have previously talked about the Julian Alps in Slovenia as another good area for walking, we particularly loved the Kranska Gora area but have had great walking in the Bohinja area too but the lift systems do tend to be less developed there as well.

SM
I am starting to think that Switzerland might out of our budget for this year (possibly for many years to come). Currently trying to find an alternative - we have already been to Kranjska Gora, Bled/Bohinj, Zell Am See, Mayrhofen and Chamonix - I'm sure I'll find something I like soon. Thanks for the comments!
Corinne
Don't know whether you would fancy Germany, the Allgäu area of Southern Germany is lovely, some good walking there.with trails leading into Austria, though I might be a bit biased as I live closeby. Ryanair fly from Stansted to Memmingen Allgäu(Munich West as they like to call it) twice per day and it's just a short hop by train or bus down to Oberstdorf which is one of the main resorts in the area.
Berchtesgaden/Lake Chiemsee are also worth a visit, rainy days can be spent in Salzburg or Munich. BMI used to fly to Munich from EMA not sure though if they still do, but Easyjet fly from Stansted to Munich.

Germany isn't cheap but isn't as expensive as Switzerland or Austria.
Or similarly have you considered the Sud Tyrol or the Dolomites in Northern Italy? The drawback there is the lack of cheap direct flights direct to Bolzano from the UK but the rail connections are good. Again Italy isn't cheap but almost anywhere is cheaper than Switzerland!

SM
Judith - I do fancy Germany but my complete lack of German means that I'm not very confident on doing a DIY holiday and not many TOs cover that area. Will look into it though.

SM - Forgot to mention we've been to Selva in the Sud Tirol - funnily enough I remember is being really expensive there so Switzerland probably is way too much for our budget. A few more TO options in Sud Tirol though so will have a look into this as well.
Just to let you know that we decided to go for Morzine in the French Alps in the end, staying at http://www.hotel-champs-fleuris.com/en/ for the first proper week on the summer season. Very much looking forward to it!
Just seen your post Corrinne. I've never been to Morzine, the hotel looks really nice, hope to hear all about the hotel and area when you get back.

Judith
Looks lovely Corinne :tup

I did notice the €1 per person per day holiday tax so hope you're aware too :tup
Thanks for the heads-up Glynis - we'll be on a package with Inghams so that should be included but at least I'll be prepared if it isn't!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.