UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
You would need to check your car insurance policy to answer the question as to whether your policy covers you in Guernsey. They are all different.
I am not sure about your car insurance.

You don't need an EU health card,as the hospital is free,for everyone,including visitors.

The duty free for the channel islands is 200 cigs, 1 litre of spirits.
The ferry has a well stocked duty free shop.

If you are a smoker.buy them on the way over
.then buy more on the way back.

The local people when they see a UK reg car,are usually very courteous.
They are aware you are a tourist unfamiliar with the roads.
It states here that visitors have to pay for treatment & the EHIC is not valid:-

http://www.gov.gg/tourist
hi glynis.

I assumed that Guernsey would be the same as jersey. :oops:

but i now know it's not.

this is jersey,s terms.

Visitors from the UK to Jersey
If I have to go to accident and emergency whilst visiting Jersey, will I have to pay?

No. If you become unwell whilst in Jersey or if you have a condition which becomes a lot worse whilst you were there, you will be provided hospital treatment for free.
Will all treatment and care be free?

Urgent hospital treatment will be free, but like all Jersey residents you will need to pay for:

GP treatment
prescriptions
some types of medical equipment and supplies

If you are not well enough to travel back to the UK on a standard plane or ferry, and the hospital needs to make special arrangements, you will have to pay for this.

If I need emergency treatment for a pre-existing condition when visiting Jersey will it be free?

You will receive free urgent treatment for a pre-existing condition if your health deteriorates or has a risk of becoming severely worse visiting the Island (eg: asthma; diabetes; epilepsy)
This does not include:

free on-going provision of services related to an existing treatment plan (eg: holiday dialysis). You will be required to pay for these services
free treatment for conditions for which you are awaiting treatment in the UK (eg: surgery) unless there is a major deterioration in that condition whilst you are are visiting Jersey
I was surprised as well CH, I thought the Islands would be the same :que
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.