Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Albufeira Strip
29 Posts
only been to the Algarve a couple of time, never been approached by them, we were however in Pafos Cyprus last summer this tougo ran up to me and said "are you English" my off the cuff reply was "certainly isn't everyone this time of year" and carried on walking poor lad i think it took a while to set in

Brian
it,s not only the strip where you get approached. my wife and i got approached several times in the old town on different days by the same guy.he's dark skinned, usual shades.he,s of very smart appearance. he first asked if we wanted watches and then hash. i said "no mate i'm too old for that". the day after he offered 'coke'. after saying no thanks he smiled and walked off.every day after that he always smiled or said hello without offering us anything further...............he also has a woman/wife working for him selling t shirts etc. ..........by the way i'm 58 years old!
Jac the guy has been around for many years selling fake gold etc, working the strip & the old town, but he'll always find some fall guy to buy his wares. The fake ciggy sellers ,are to me the ones that most folks fall for only to find stones in the packets. Someone posted on (I think it was another forum last week or maybe on here) they had gone to quarteira market and got approached by someone selling ciggies for €20 per 200 and they fell for it hook line and sinker and they bought (10) 200 packs, only to find the same thing bricks & stones. I would have needed a damned big hanky to cry in, if that had been me.
Oh the gullible tourist! I think there must be a common sense removal device hidden somewhere in the arrivals area at Faro airport.
I happened across this forum by accident and couldn't believe anybody was still trying to flog timeshares on the streets (paid good money to get out of mine) - then noticed how old the thread was!

Nice to be here though. And much looking forward to being back at the Clube Praia da Oura in February.
Is this type of thing something still going on?

We are a couple in are early 20's, and it would be are first time here. After reading this it has put me off a little?
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

We've been coming to Albufeira Old Town several times a year for many years and the only time we've ever been approached by someone trying to sell us something was 10 years ago, when a cheeky timeshare tout had a go. But if it happens, all you have to do is say a polite no and walk on. It isn't a problem.

Please don't be put off coming to Albufeira, but I think you would prefer to be based near the Old Town (west) rather than Strip (east).
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.