Spain - Canary Islands - Fuerteventura Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Fuerteventura.
i suppose it depends on your hotel,
i gave up smoking 2 year ago but up until then i always smoked on balcony, if the hotel didnt provide an ashtray i used to borrow one from the bar area.
stayed in Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and Tenerife, never had a problem
Ok thank you we're at las marismas looked on website and can't find any info regarding this
thanks again
From my experience if a hotel has a no smoking policy it will have designated areas where smoking is allowed . I've only stayed at one hotel ( Body Holiday in St Lucia ) where smoking was limited to two specific areas , strangely enough both outside open air restaurants !! And smoking was not allowed on balconies , on the beach or poolside etc .
All other places I've stayed smoking is allowed on your own private balcony if you wish , the majority do have non smoking restaurants .
You'd need to check direct with the hotel in question. Spain has got very strict smoking Iaws, but hotels are allowed to a have a percentage of smoking rooms. Not all of them do though. Whether they allow smoking on the balconies of non smoking rooms would be up to the hotel.
Thank you for the information ... I am guessing I should email them not that it makes much difference its booked now
I think you are allowed to smoke on your balcony if it enclosed. ie. a wall at each side.
Some are separated by just wrought iron railings so these are the kind where you are not allowed to smoke.
Jay Trip wrote:
I think you are allowed to smoke on your balcony if it enclosed. ie. a wall at each side.
Some are separated by just wrought iron railings so these are the kind where you are not allowed to smoke.

Guess we'll soon find out .. thought there would be more smokers on here :tup thanks
Most places I've stayed allow smoking on the balconies. I was recently in Fuerteventura and when speaking to a resident there she said the Island is quite relaxed with smoking laws. Most bars have an indoors and outside areas, you can smoke in the outside areas. I stayed on a residential complex and smoking was allowed on the balconies. I think your husband will be ok.
Ok, This is Spain....
You can smoke on the balconies, it's an outdoor space that is not included in the law, The law applies 'outdoors' in places such as smoking near children's playgrounds or sports fields, which is defined as having equipment or fittings designed for children....
You cannot smoke in the rooms.
but hotels are allowed to a have a percentage of smoking rooms. Not all of them do though

They don't because they can't meet the requirement of the updated smoking laws in Spain.
They are allowed to have 30%, but in practical terms, it's impossible in a hotel,

a) They have to be separated from the other rooms with an independent ventilation or other devices for smoke removal areas.
b ) Be marked with permanent signs.
c ) The customer is informed of the type of room on offer.
d ) Workers can not access the room while you are a customer inside, except in cases of emergency.

So, that could mean you'll not get your bed made, toilet cleaned, floors mopped or vacuumed, bins emptied or towels changed.!

Sanji x
Sanji wrote:
Ok, This is Spain....
You can smoke on the balconies, it's an outdoor space that is not included in the law, The law applies 'outdoors' in places such as smoking near children's playgrounds or sports fields, which is defined as having equipment or fittings designed for children....
You cannot smoke in the rooms.
but hotels are allowed to a have a percentage of smoking rooms. Not all of them do though

They don't because they can't meet the requirement of the updated smoking laws in Spain.
They are allowed to have 30%, but in practical terms, it's impossible in a hotel,

a) They have to be separated from the other rooms with an independent ventilation or other devices for smoke removal areas.
b ) Be marked with permanent signs.
c ) The customer is informed of the type of room on offer.
d ) Workers can not access the room while you are a customer inside, except in cases of emergency.

So, that could mean you'll not get your bed made, toilet cleaned, floors mopped or vacuumed, bins emptied or towels changed.!

Sanji x

Great help sanji thank you x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.