Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
La Mata area.
8 Posts
Calle Helena is in Torrelamata, rather than La Mata itself (which is a small town some few minutes north, where I live).

There are discos which teenagers go to in nearby Torrevieja. Pacha and KKO are two of them. Discos here open late and don't liven up until at least 1am. They stay open 'til 6 or 7 in the morning. As long as your kids can pass for being a little older than what they actually are, then they should have no trouble getting in these places.

There are loads of places for family entertainment, and hundreds of restaurants for eating out. If you let me know what type of things you are looking for, I should be able to help you further.
Thanks Olly,
We like to go out most nights for a bite to eat and have a few jars afterwards (not necessarily in the same place). We would like good food at reasonable prices and a little entertainment afterwards. The older children will want to do their own thing but the younger oned will be with us. I was hoping that there would be enough to keep the older kids happy in the la mata area as i'm not eager to let them into Torrevieja on their own. If you can name a few bars and restaurants in the area i'd appreciate it.
You probably already have directions to Calle Helena so I will not bother telling you where exactly it is. On your directions it will probably tell you to turn right at the Chinese restaurant Casa de Lu, but if you were to carry straight on from there you will come to a parade of bars and restaurants. The best place to eat here would be Federicos', which is about half way along the stretch, and the best priced and most popular bar is Magani, which is the very last one that you come to. Another popular bar is Bar Carlos, which is close to the ‘needle' roundabout, near to the sports centre.

To save having to repeat myself about other good eating places, here is a link to a previous post. La Mata And here is a copy of the PM that I sent the original poster:-
I live in La Mata, and have done for many years.
I have often been asked to give restaurant recomendations so to save me the trouble of typing them all out again, I have copied and pasted the following:-

Directions were for a lady staying on the Montesinos Road, which from La Mata is:-
Take the N332 north towards Alicante....The left turning after the Procomobel store.
I am not sure, but I think that the area that you are renting in is just off the Montesinos road, which is a short drive from Guardamar. It will probably be on urbanization, and therefore you are correct in assuming it will be predominantly British; however, at this time of year there are few people around, so you may feel quite isolated.

I know that you would prefer to explore on foot, but the way mainland Spain is set out, this is sometimes impractical. We tend to have individual towns, with nothing much to see between them. For instance, between Guardamar, La Marina village (not urbanization) to the north and La Mata to the south, there is little of interest. The best advice would be to drive to a place of interest and then explore on foot from there"¦.(I have just read this paragraph a few times, I hope it makes sense to you!!!!).

There will be bars and a few shops a short walk from where you are staying"¦..perhaps on the Montesinos road itself.

I am not sure what type of food you like, but there are some very good restaurants nearby, which are unknown to the average holiday maker, but seeing as it's you"¦..I shall share them!!!!

Continue up the Montesinos road (left"¦not right towards Guardamar) and look out for the Laguna Hotel sign on you right, you will then see some large red banners, immediately before these is the Indian Ocean restaurant (visible from the main road"¦"¦nice food).

Continue up the Montesinos road all the way to the roundabout at the end, this is the main Crevillent road, turn left (towards Torrevieja) and continue along the Crevillent road over the roundabouts and look out for the Maison Villa Salada on your right (there is a big sign). This is a huge, typically Spanish restaurant, all you can eat for 25 Euro, professional flamenco and guitar playing and they also do horse riding demonstrations out back (in summer). It will not be busy in February, but go on a Saturday night for the live entertainment. I have to admit that I have had better food, but it is all you can eat and there is a superb atmosphere"¦..also, one waitress is English (if you need her).

If you turn right at the Montesinos/Crevillent roundabout and continue up to Quesada, there are 2 nice places to eat there. Look out for the Quesada sign on the roundabout (next one along, I think) and turn sharp right into the town. You will go through some stone arches (there is a petrol garage on you left here), 100 meters on your left is the Banana Tree restaurant, excellent Thai and Chinese food"¦..Below the Banana Tree is a steak house, which I have never got round to trying, but have heard good reports of.

Now for my area"¦.Go down the Montesinos road (right, towards Guardamar). At the end of the road turn right onto the N332 and head towards Torrevieja. A few roundabouts along, turn left (signposted CV898 Torrevieja (por la costa)). Continue along this road bearing slightly left at the traffic light with the Chinese restaurant (but keep on the main road)"¦"¦A short distance along you will come to a row of bars and restaurants. Here you will find Federico's, good food"¦.and menus in English. The last bar along the parade is Magani's (my local!), a huge tapas selection and reasonably priced drinks, frequented by the local Guardia Civil, so it must be good! Federico is on holiday at the moment, he should be back by the time you come over, but if not"¦.nip into Magani's.

Good (and very cheap) Chinese food can be had in Guardamar. Turn left from the Montesinos road onto the N332 (watch out for the road markings here), and you will shortly come to the Guardamar roundabout. Go over the roundabout and take the slip road into town. At the first roundabout (with the big Chinese on the left), turn right, continue to the end of the road and turn right again. Look out for the Nan Kin restaurant on your right.

Viloreans restaurant is worth a visit. Get onto the N332 and go past Guardamar. Ignore the first Rojales turn off but take the second. Go under the N332 ( watch for the give way lines along here)and head inland, after a few kilometers look out for the Viloreans sign on your right. Take the one track unmade road to the end to find the restaurant.

For home cooked ‘comfort grub'"¦"¦remember Federico's and Magani's?.......Drive past these two and head towards Torrevieja, go a few kilometers"¦..past the beaches and round the bends on the coast road. When the road starts heading slightly inland and turns into a one way section, look out for Sand's Bistro on the right, just before a bend"¦.it's small"¦..so look carefully.

So"¦.there's a nice selection of restaurants for 25 Euro or less per head. There are many hundreds more.

I know you will enjoy the town of Elche. Go into any tourist office there and get a walking map, they have a ‘palm route' (Elche has a reputed million palm trees, and don't miss the Huerta del Cura (Priests Garden).

A good ‘all weather' attraction are the caves at Busot (just north of Alicante). Also try to see the waterfalls at El Algar. Guardalest is worth it for the drive and the scenery, but I don't reckon the place as an attraction.

Cartagena, Murcia, Torrevieja and Alicante are all within a reasonable drive, and maybe if the weather is good you might get a day or two on the beach. Today was 18 degrees, February is ‘hit and miss' but I would expect temperatures between 16 and 23.

Remember that your hire car will have a sticker advertising the fact, and it is well known that these cars are rarely alarmed"¦"¦don't leave anything of value in it, other than that, rumours relating to crime around here are very much exagerated!!!!!!!!

Feel free to post back for any more help and advice. Enjoy your trip, and let me know how you get on.

Hasta pronto!,

As far as entertainment is concerned, there is the Lounge Bar close to the Aguas Nuevas urbanization, and they have occasional entertainment at the bar next to the Supercor supermarket which will be quite close to your apartments. Other than that you would have to venture into the more ‘English' areas south of Torrevieja, where they are more geared up for that type of stuff. A copy of a local newspaper will tell you what's on and where.

Pacha and KKO are north of Torrevieja, rather than in the centre. Pacha is midway between the football stadium and the water park (Aguapolis). From Calle Helena they would only cost a few Euro in a cab, and although the entrance age is 18, younger kids still get in and enjoy a safe night.

Your apartments are about a 10 minute walk to the beach which is wide, sandy and very long. Stretching from Cabo Cervera to the inlet of the Segura River several kilometres north. There are a couple of small beach bars which are open all year round and many more on the boardwalk which runs from Torrelamata, past the park to La Mata town. The Buda bar is quite popular in the summer and hard to miss. Being uphill, it would be a longer walk back to your apartments, so it might be best to do the short journey by car.

Enjoy your stay, and post back if you need any more help.
My Life Bar, Calle Zeus, Torrelomas area,Torrelamata

Anyone know what this bar is like ? Is the food and drink good quality? What age group does it cater for?
They have a disco in the basement not sure what it is like. Went for Sunday lunch once a few weeks after they opened ended up walking out as got fed up with being ignored by the waiters. Asked for a menu then waited 1/2 hour before getting fed up then went to O´Briens over the road.
I think that they would be happy to get any age group in there.

There was a rumour that the place cost over a million to build, and in a ploy to attract more custom the Spanish owners decided to call it an Irish bar (like we need another one!). Complete with red 'British' telephone boxes outside.

It didn't work. The place is empty for most of the year. Quite rightly so. The food isn't up to much, and any of the bars oposite serve cheaper drinks.
Hi I was wondering if anyone could recomend somewhere to eat on New Year's Eve. Preferably somewhere that has a variety of foods for fussy teenagers, and somewhere that may have entertainment. Thanks in advance.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.