Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Antigua
9 Posts
We stayed at Hawksbill four or five times. It's quite a laid back resort without any media in any of the rooms. The staff were fantastic it's quite small with only ninety odd rooms and very low rise with four beaches one of which is clothes optional. The beaches are only used by the hotel residents so remain very uncrowded. It was recently closed for 6 months to undergo renovation and I can't speak for what it's like now. I would go back again but there are other places we want to go.
Thanks Jerry

We have been to Barbados twice but need a change so wanted to see what the place was like possbily in comparison. The prices for Barbados are very high at the moment and Antigua in comparison are quite good.

Where is Hawksbill on the island? Is it located in the main tourist part? I have seen on Virgin that they are offering that hotel with a good rate and the reviews look good. Would you go all inclusive on the holiday?

MC
Mcole- are you planning on hiring a car? Antigua is an easy island to get around and there are just so many absolutely beautiful beaches to find.
Only been once and that was in the summer. Our first place we stayed at was just outside English Harbour at a beautiful beach areally with not a lot around it. Unfortunately English Harbour was practically all closed as the yachting season was over. However if you stay close to it in April you will have plenty of choices at night. Just find a good beach area close by to stay .
By the way we found the road maps not very accurate. But the locals were used to seeing cars stopped and passengers looking at maps. They just come over and point you in the right direction!
By the way personally I would not go AI . We did that the first couple of visits to Barbados then I costed out an AI hotel and just a B&B hotel. It worked out the savings at least paid for meals and drinks out , if not excursions. And i didnt feel so "trapped."But it's personal choice.
We ate out in Antigua.
Hi Fiona

We never thought of hiring a car, but would do if it was worth it. Did you do that?

I did often wonder about the AI as we as a family always want to go and eat local food - sometimes though as you have pointed out the AI rate is soo much higher than the B and B rate, which naturally leads me to ask is it worth it.

Thanks for the advice. Would you go back?

MC
I would go back but not in the summer! Yes we hired one for a week.
Thanks Fiona, much appreciated and we will be booking soon..
  • Edited by MCole 2017-01-24 20:07:35
Will look forward to hearing about it :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.