Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Hello travelmom and welcome to HT.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/portugal/entry-requirements
This says that you should take a letter of authorisation from the parent.
I have seen people say that they get the letter notarised but it doesn't actually state that in the travel advice. Might be worth it for peace of mind though?
There is a template letter you can use. I am in Lanzarote but will be back in the Uk next week and I will post it here. Remember each child must have their own insurance not just the EHIC card.
  • Edited by fwh 2017-02-10 13:10:30
thank you. Want to make sure i don't get into any bother , i'm starting to think maybe it's not a good idea - big risks but my daughter gets very lonely on holiday- teenagers!! Thank you so much though!!
thank you so much fwh any help with this is greatly appreciated as i don't want to get into any bother. So i need to bring their health card? so many things to think about!! thank you so much enjoy your time in lanzorote!!
Has anyone took someone else's child away before ?? i'm now in two minds . Any advice would be great!! :)
I feel like i'm being a pest now!! But just came into my head , when leaving uk to go to faro and leaving faro to u.k. will it all be the same requirements ? i tried researching and couldn't find any clear answers :(
For you return journey to the UK the letters you have from the girls parents will be all that you need.
If you look here you will find a template

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/forum/taking-someone-elses-child-t122187-40.html?hilit=travel%20permission%20letter

This was originally posted by a HT member. Copy and paste into word and complate as required.

Worth reading the discussion. Legally a young person cannot travel outside the UK without parent/guardian permission. The question should be asked of you at the airport in the UK - Insurance must be arranged for the young person separate from your own in addition to the EHIC card.
Care must also be taken that the child is not subject to a court order an that and both parents (divorced for example) give permission.

The law in Scotland is different and in theory where a custody order applies one part cannot take a child to Scotland without permission of both parents.

Note = The above applies to children born in and holders of a UK passport. Similarly for visa requirements. The fact someone holds a UK passport does not automatically grant them the same rights if they were not born in the UK. Think the problems with the ban put forward by Donald Trump.
  • Edited by fwh 2017-02-14 00:17:50
My 16 year old recently went to South Africa with a school group and the legal requirements for that were horrific. The teacher leading the group had to take permission letters along with notarised copies of 1. the children's birth certificates, 2. the parents' passports and 3. the headteacher's passport. Portugese entry requirements look very easy compared to that.
Hi Elaine
Yes the entry requirements for children changed in 2015. For those thinking about South Africa, even when it is your own child you are travelling with, check the link below
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/south-africa/entry-requirements
We have taken our two grandaughters to Canada and America, separately and have always taken a letter signed by both parents authorising us about having their permission and also being able to act in loco parentis if they need medical treatment. We have also had to take scans of the parents passports. Sometimes we are asked by border security and sometimes not. We do all have the same surname, which I guess helps.
hi Linda
Just want to say welcome to HT :-D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.