Other Destinations Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in other destinations. Inc Brazil, Australia, New Zealand.
I'm currently planning a trip to Oz/NZ for late 2017 or early 2018. PERSONALLY, can't see any point in flying all that way and not seeing Uluru - with the Barrier Reef and Sydney Harbour, it forms 3 of the most compelling sights to see - Fiji might be very nice to do -but has it got anything really unique??
I understand the pull of Fiji, but it seems a huge shame not to visit Uluru (Ayres Rock) while you are in Australia. The way the rock changes colour as the sun sets and rises is amazing.
I've just written a reply and only one line appeared, so I've just lost it all.....that happened to me the other day in another thread
:shrug
Sanji x
  • Edited by Sanji 2017-03-13 19:33:15
I know it doesn't help but I have done that in the past as well. When I know its going to be a long post now, I write it in Word first and copied it to here.
Try again.
I think this is a contentious subject :-?
We went to Australia for 7 weeks, so we had plenty of opportunities to visit Ayers rock and before we left the UK, I did plenty of reading.

I came to the conclusion that the opinions of past visitors, they tended to fall into two categories. It was either those who were completely awestruck about the experience, or those who were very disappointed, quoting the intense heat, the dust and the zillions of insects flying around that were beyond being just a nuisance....and the price, reflecting a typical tourist trap.

We were in OZ during December and January and whilst we like high temperatures next to the sea, the temperature in the outback would have been extremely high...This site recommends when to go.
https://parksaustralia.gov.au/uluru/plan/when-to-come.html

So, we made the decision to give it a miss and fly down to Melbourne instead and neither of us regret not going.
It's each to their own, but I knew that Dave wouldn't like it, because if a fly comes in the house, he hunts it down with a squatter like a mad man, and it would take more than a red rock to emotionally move him.....therefore, Fiji would be my (our) choice.

Sanji x
Sanji, I loose my post if I use an emoticon from my tablet & not HT'S emots.
Glynis, I was replying on my tablet and I only used one of HT's emojis in my post...it looked perfectly fine until it appeared on the board, and only the first line of my post appeared. I'm guessing it's Android again, because It's happened to me before when using my tablet....using my main computer I don't seem to have a problem.

Sanji x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.