Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Welcome to HT lueanne :wave:

Kenya would be the obvious choice, we are going in 8 weeks, staying at the Baobab Beach Resort on Diani Beach for 2 weeks with a 4 night Safari which we have arranged ourselves independently.

You have a good choice of hotels available in Kenya with some of the best beaches in the world and you have a huge range of options for a Safari.

You could book it all as one complete package or as we have done booked a package and added a Safari ourselves or you could book everything individually.

All the major tour operators do complete packages including Safari's.

Regarding safety remember that all the African countries are poor so take the usual precautions of not flashing jewelry or other expensive items and only take the minimum amount of money out with you that you think you require.

Also make sure you have adequate insurance and that you get all the recommended vaccinations and anti Malaria treatments before going.

Anything else just ask
Graham
We have been to Kenya twice and can recommend it. The most popular safari is Tsavo East, West and Amboseli where you will see most of the main animals.

The first time we went on a Thomson's safari and stayed in lodges which was really good. However the second time we didn't intend doing a safari again, but ended up booking locally when we got there. It was a tented safari and was a great experience as we were the only ones there! We had our own driver/guide, waiter, 2 cooks and a security guard for the two of us. We also had the safari bus to ourselves so no having to take turns standing up and looking out of the roof.

We stayed at Bamburi and Diani and we preferred the beach at Diani as there was a lot of seaweed at Bamburi.

As Graham has said, make sure you get the correct inoculations and malaria medication.

luci :wave
Thanks so much! I will take a look on Kenia :-)
Another option would be South Africa. The country is a famous beach and safari destination.

Cape Town is the country's most famous beach destination, however, the entire East Coast is littered with world-class beaches. Furthermore, as you move East the water gets warmer.

With regards to safaris. The Kruger National Park is one of Africa's largest game reserves. However, the country is also littered with many smaller game reserves such as the Addo Elephant Park, Botalierskop, and countless others.

South Africa will definitely be a rival to Kenya, but as a South African I may be a little biased :whoops
Now I was also looking forward in Kenya.
Zimbabwe is generally pretty safe - despite what you may have heard on the news about unrest there, and sure it's been testing recently, but the general safety and crime level is far less than that in South Africa.

I'd recommend visiting somewhere like Matetsi Victoria Falls for a Safari, and then perhaps heading across to Mozambique for a beach holiday. They're both also super cheap countries to holiday in, and you'll find more than enough luxury for less than half the price you would overseas.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.