General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
We are in Scotland so we don't have the fines that other parts of the country do. We have taken ours out for odd days at the start or end of holidays and the year my older daughter finished primary school was the first year when she had been in school on the last day of the year.
The kids missed 4 days one October (2 days either side of the holiday week) to go to New York to visit family. They saw and experienced a tremendous amount that holiday - several days in New York City, Washington DC, Amish country, historic village recreations on Long Island - plus catching up with family, but it took our then 5 year old weeks to catch up with the school work she had missed. I don't regret that holiday but I wish we had thought it through a bit better.
:argue
We took our two children 2 days before the 'official' Summer holidays (2016) where suppose to start. The children (in high school) were only watching DVD's, drawing etc. nothing that they couldn't have done with us. However the headmistress disallowed our request and we where fines £120!! We were so shocked, especially as our childrens attendance record was perfect!

We begrudgingly paid the fine and made the most of our villa which was totally AMAZING & softened the fine scandal!)

All in all we'd do it again! We fully support our children's education but there comes a point where it feels like we live in a 'nanny state'

Safe travels
Sarah x :)
  • Edited by happy$888 2017-04-07 09:43:41
    thought I'd update with the place we stayed x
On 23rd March 2017 at 08:34pm, happy$888 said:
:argue
We took our two children 2 days before the 'official' Summer holidays (2016) where suppose to start. The children (in high school) were only watching DVD's, drawing etc. nothing that they couldn't have done with us. However the headmistress disallowed our request and we where fines £120!! We were so shocked, especially as our childrens attendance record was perfect!

We begrudgingly paid the fine and made the most of our villa which was totally AMAZING & softened the fine scandal!)

All in all we'd do it again! We fully support our children's education but there comes a point where it feels like we live in a 'nanny state'

Safe travels
Sarah x :)
This is what we are going through now,we booked a holiday for 28 days in spain and it was supposed to be a few days after they break up for summer holidays but somehow our booking date has been altered a whole month before so now,we have to take him 3 weeks before he finishes school or we lose out on a few thousand pound,we are worried and stressed beyond belief lol nightmare
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.