Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Hi, The weather in Kos by the time you get to the end of October is starting to get cooler at nights-around maybe 14/15 degrees C, but can still be reasonably warm during the day. First time we went to Kos was the last week in October and day time temps. were around 24/26 degrees C.
Where are you planning to stay? By that time quite a few tavernas etc. in the smaller resorts will be starting to shut down for the end of season, so some places could be quiet. Kos town and most of the larger AI complexes shouldn't be a problem though, and even in the quietest of places you should be able to find enough variety of eating places.
Day trips to Turkey from Kos go to Bodrum usually by excursion boat as opposed to ferry, and the crossing takes around an hour.
Hope this helps.

Andy.
Hiya Spadge - nice to see you dipping your toes out of the Egypt forum!!!!!
Hubby and I go over to Kos every year end September early October for two weeks. We have never been disappointed with the weather, we go to a resort called Kefalos. Depends on have late in october you are taking about, if the end then a lot of things will be closed / closing at Smee says.
Should you need anything else I will help where I can - just PM me as you did previously about Sharm.
Heather
BlueHeather,

Me and my girlfriend are considering a number of resorts for the first week in September of which Kefalos is one. Nobody seems to have a bad word to say about the resort but I am getting contrasting views on how lively the resort is.

We would like somewhere with a good variety of bars and restaurants but nothing over the top. A nice beach, a little taste of traditional Greece and plenty to see and explore. Would it be suitable?

Any info appreciated.

Steve, Manchester
Hi Steve

We were in Kefalos first week last October. It was relatively quiet then but the resort has a good mix of restaurants and bars for all tastes, without being over the top. We eat well and cheaply. The beach was long and sandy with sections with or without sunbeds and even better beaches were a short drive or bus ride away. We hired a car very cheaply and had a great time exploring the ruins, going up into the mountains and generally exploring the island. We also did the fascinating boat trip to the volcanic island of Nissyros.

The only thing we didn't like was the airport queues and the night flight!
Maria know what you mean about Kos airport - the pits isn't it, worse at night too.
Steve - greetings from a fellow Manc! Depends on your ages really. There are some really lively bars, and loads and loads of very good eating places, none of them expensive. If you are looking for something very rowdy then kardenema would perhaps be more your scene. Personally I hate the place :roll: Sure you will like Kefalos.
Heather
Thanks MariaH and BlueHeather for the information on Kefalos. We're also considering Kos Town which I think is livelier than Kefalos but not as hectic as Kardamena. Next step is to find some decent self catering accomodation in one of these resorts. Any suggestions anybody?
Can recommend Kefalos if you want a laid back holiday.
There are plenty of bars, tavernas, and even a couple of night clubs....
We are going back for our 20th visit in 5 weeks, and still enjoy it.

We have never stayed in a bad studio and can recommened a few.

It depends which travel company you use.
Libra are quite cheap and Olympic can be cheap if you get a good deal.
Hi we went to kefalos in May 2003. Had a great holiday, did not rate the beach that much as it was pebbly. But we had a fantastic holiday. It is such a nice small place, great places to eat and drink. But having been there and seen everything probally not go back again. :P
we stayed in Kefalos at the Andreas appts (Kosmar) basic clean nice pool quite quiet area near the habour but not too far from bars and tavernas, although I believe this is the quieter end of the resort.
HI,
Never bn to greece, goin in august for 2 weeks to kardemena. Could someone tell me a bit about it please.

Nic, Wales
hi nic, see you are 18, you will have a great time in kardemena,loads a bars,restaurants, a few night clubs dont know exactly how many, there's plenty for everyone there, good beaches, watersports etc, have a great time
jeppo :D
I don't think you would be able to see epheseus from Kos, you can only really sail to Bodrum and it would then be another good hour or more by road, unless you can find a boat going to Kussadassi, long trip by sea. Then most of trips are organised tours that you would have to book. You could go by dolmus, but the bus stops at the exit to Epheseus and its a couple of miles to walk to the entrance, or a rip off taxi price. Epheseus is very good, but probrably not good enough for a visit from Kos.
Hi - back to the weather subject - we went to Kos the week before Oct half term last year (2004)and it was really nice all week (60oC - 70oC) - infact the locals said it had been windy all Summer and the wind had only just dropped that week. It is definitely cool in the evenings though. I guess you could be lucky or unlucky when you book anywhere round the world - but there enough to do and see around Kos even if the weather isn't that great - However, I would definitely recommend hiring a car for the week - it is relatively cheap and we found driving, parking, getting petrol etc. really easy- it was certainly worth it just to avoid the notorious queues at the airport on our return journey !
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.