Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Toilets
13 Posts
I never fancied the idea much myself but you get so used to it you are looking for the bin when you get back from holiday!
Can only speak for Rhodes but must places allow you to flush the paper since they've had new pipework. Some bars ask you not to as tourists sometimes put the hand paper down as well and this can cause a problem if you try to flush too much down in one go.
I always take nappy sacks to put used paper in. but bins are emptied every day so its not a problem and you dont take any notice.
As a Greece fanatic, I've managed to convince my friend to give it a go. She's always wanted to go but the toilet sysem was a big put off for her. She still has reservations but I've convinced her that it won't be a problem
I have been to Greece loads of times and it has never been a problem.
The bins are emptied regularly. You do soon get used to it and as said before, when you come home you automatically look round for the bin
Don't let this little worry put you off. Greece is wonderful.
Take fragrant nappy sacks for the loo, we have done this for years, no problem.as people say you look for the bin when you get home
Blow buying nappy sacks (or whatever they're called!) - do what the Greeks do and recycle the millions of plastic bags you're given ever time you buy something in a shop!!

(Strangely, when I was out there for a summer, the "daily emptying of the loo bin" became almost a social event, as everybody seemed to traipse down to the community wheelie bins carryng their neatly tied plastics bags all at the same time!)
Thanks everyone. I agree, you do get used to using a bin, and to miss out on the whole Greek experience because you don't want to is a shame. I'll keep trying to persuade my friend though.
Hi

Perhaps you could try the environmental angle...water from toilets goes to water treatment plants so that it can be cleaned and treated before going back into the water system. This involves taking out all of the toilet paper and you can imagine what else and uses a hell of a lot of energy mainly from fossil fuels! So aside from the fact that the sewage systems on islands can't cope with toilet paper, small islands would have to build even larger water treatment plants in order to cope with toilet paper - which might then spoil the scenery you're looking at while on holiday. It's much better that the loo roll goes into a hole in the ground to decompose and that the methane gas created is captured and then burned to create energy...ok so the Greeks may not have got that far yet...

Ok I don't know how that argument will be received by your friend, you could try it. It would be a real shame if she were to miss out on a fantastic holiday. I live in Athens and we put our toilet in a bin even though nowadays it's probably not really necessary. Good luck!

Emmanuel

Edited to remove unauthorised sig/weblink
David HT Mod
It is not really a problem and you soon get used to it. When you have been back to Greece a few times you don`t even think about it.
I know how your friend feels. I felt the same apprehension when I went to Turkey and Cyprus but as everyone else has said you do somehow get on, do it and get used to it. I am on countdown at the moment due to go to Zante in exactly 1 week and 4 days (which will be my first time to Greece) and it does not bother me at all now.

Good luck with convincing your friend.

:lol: "When in Greece do as the Greeks do"!
I agree with it all soon becomes as second nature to you after a short while forget about it and you and your freind have a great time. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.