Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Also why must the window blinds be up as well :hmmm
Its in case of emergency on take off or landing. If something happened then you may need to get out of the aircraft very quickly. The reason lights are dimmed is to ensure your eyes are adjusted to the dark.

For example, if an aircraft is taking off, and catches fire you will need to get out - and quick! If the cabin lights failed you would be thrown into darkness. This would seriously hinder an evacuation attempt as your eyes would take a while to adjust to the sudden light change and you could easily become disorientated.

If you were in darkness to begin with then r body would be more used to the surroundings and hopefully evacuation will be easier.

There is generally good reasons for these strange little practices!
Thanks for the answers bagand96

There is generally good reasons for these strange little practices

I knew there had to be some good safety implications in the regulations, but it is nice to know exactly the thinking behind them, it all makes sense now.

:thanks
Graham
And to add to bagand96's correct reply - the reason for the window blinds being up is again a safety measure so that in the event of an emergency and forced evacuation, the passengers and crew could avoid leaving the aircraft via a route that was blocked or dangerous. For example an engine fire on the port wing may mean that the overwing port side emergency doors (and possible rear port side exits) would not be usable.
Thanks for the replies. As Graham says, it all makes sense now.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.