Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
My personal favorite is Cirali located 80kms southwest of Antalya. A great little village, nice beach, ruins of Olympos and the flames of "Cheimera". You won't find Cirali like any of the places normally mentioned in this forum. No mass tourism. Small shops, quiet bars and no discos. It is more of a place for nature lovers. Have a look at http://www.cirali.org/index_eng.html for more info also this link may be useful http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=71706&highlight=cirali
We had a holiday to Side a couple of years ago and it was full of history. Theres an amphitheatre, temples, mosaiic pavements and all sorts of ruins.
If staying in the Cirali area then you must go on the two day trip to Ephesus and Pammukalae. We are off to Kalkan on thursday which is close to Cirali, my wife is a culture vulture. If you like, we will do a report to confirm the links you've been given.
Definatly go to Side as its an amazing old roman town 3000years old.There is an ampitheatre and lots of roman ruin just as you enter the town.Down on the harbour front is the temple of Apollo.From Side you can also visit Cappadocia an amazing place for £30 for 3 nights and 2 days,stopping at Konya on the way which has a famous mosque.Ive just got back from Marmaris last night and although it has a castle and ampitheatre it hasnt got the atomosphere Side has.I was there this March and would go back tomorrow.
Yep, I'll second that Jaytripp! We had 2 weeks in Side a couple of years ago, & also did the trip to Cappadocchia. Brilliant! Not only Capp, but the other places you visit on route, e.g. underground cities, Konya ( home of the Whirling Dervishes, mosque & museum) & the caravanserai. Also from Side there are other amphitheatres & a viaduct within reasonable travelling distance. Well worth a visit! Don't do the trips with your tour operator though. When we were there we went with a local travel agent down the road, very CHEAP as Jay says. Other people at our apartments went with their tour operator & paid more than twice as much as us for 2 days, instead of 3 & didn't see half as much as us!
Thanks so far, that has given me something to investigate. I like the sound of Side.
I put some pictures of the ruins at Side on the Turkey photo gallery. I think they are on the last page.

Bridd
cruisecontroller, I would appreciate that, many thanks.

Julie
Thanks Bridd!

Julie
I went to Side a few years ago, it's amazing for local history, the walk from were I was staying just out of town into the town was amazing, like walking through historic times.
Thanks Collette, sounds just perfect for me. I am looking at good hotels now and hope to book soon.
Chix when you book make sure the hotel is in Side and not Kumkov or Cokali as these are a little further out an not really within walking distance.Look on Thomas cooks website as they usually have good deals,much cheaoer than Portland for same hotels on same dates.Jay
twice we have stayed in belek near antalya ,it is a great beach resort, but is within easy distance to ,epheses,espendos,perge ,and numerous other historic places.

bluepeterno1
wherever you go in turkey you are surrounded by historical sites..its such a vast country and has been home to all the major ancient cultures.
ancient greek cities are all over the place..then they were further expanded by the romans..the ancient hittites were here before the greeks.as were the persians....i think as Careta said Cirali is a good location being near to some historical sites as well natural and unexplained phenomena..ie the flames from olympos mountain.
one of the most ephemeral greek cities ive visited has to be Termessos in the mountains outside antalya..but then there are so many many more...its never ending..and wonderful.
i live in Alanya..not far from Side which has a wonderful Selcuk castle set on a promontory which divides the town in two....get the map out..get a pin..close your eyes and ...see where you land.
I thought that the Bodrum peninsular was very interesting

(Ps. Isnt Side full of Germans)
Phil,Side isnt full of Germans but other Europeans.We went in March and the majority nationality were Belguims.There were Swedes and Norwegians and loads of Brits.They are building lots of apartments just outside of Side and one couple we met who had bought one said 70%had been sold to Brits.I wish I could persuade my Hubby to take the plunge and buy one as I love the place.No football shirts or lager louts. Jay
Thanks everyone, most of the problems people encounter or things they are not happy about, generally don't happen to us as we go in September. We are always outnumbered by Germans usually but we just live and let live and enjoy the country we are in.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.