Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Ljubljana
8 Posts
I loved Ljubljana when I was there about 6 years ago. Since then I have spent a holiday visiting both Portoroz on the coast and Lake Bled and the Triglav national park. Sorry can't help about hotels in Ljubljana, but the Slovenian national tourist office website will help with all three locations.

Personally I think you should hire a car, because although there are trains, they don't really go where you want to - ie beyond Koper (and you really should visit Piran) and just north of Bled - but nowhere near the lake or Bohinj or the National Park with its wonderful scenery. You might want to tackle this from a different angle and fly into Riejka with Easyjet and visit Porec and Pula (in Croatia) and then head north up the Istrian peninsula and then inland (Postojna Caves), Ljubljana and then Lake Bled and around. There is a fast road from Ljubljana to Riekja as well as the beautiful national roads, but WARNING the road surface is VERY SLIPPERY after rain and causes many accidents (as we sadly witnessed).

Have a great time - this is a beautiful and unspoilt part of the world.
Here is the website Alsacienne mentioned.
Thanks for all those great tips and advice Alsacienne . Things have now firmed up about our plans. We have found a very nice apartment right in the centre of the city, close to the river. It even has a parking space if we decide to rent a car. Regarding flights, we live in the East Midlands and there are flights from Stansted (Easyjet) , Luton (Wizzair) and Birmingham and Manchester (Adria). Hopefully there might be ones from East Midlands or even Robin Hood for when we go next year.

I must say, after looking at the various websites, that tourists seem to be very well catered for in Ljubljana. There are boat trips, walking tours, bike tours and even one of those mini-trains. There seem to be plenty of places to eat and shop and, if we don't rent a car, there are plenty of organised trips to other parts of the country. Looking forward to it.
I have now found an excellent guide book on Ljubljana. This is the Bradt Guide (ISBN 1 84162 116 1) published in 2005. Lots of practical information written by two people who seem to be great fans of the city. Cover price is £6.99 but I managed to find a cheaper copy on Amazon.

I have also just found out that Slovenia joins the Euro Zone on the 1st. of January next year. I hope this won't push prices up.
Hello

I have been looking at the L place for a short city break and after reading this thread, i like the sound of it all the more...but there are no direct flights from Scotland :cry:

it is so frustrating :x I wouldn't mind for a longer hol but for a break of a few days, it isn't worth the hassle...

do any of you Slovenia fans know of a way to get there from Scotland at all? maybe i have missed an airline that does it? please help if you can!
Hi there, MsH!

I would recommend you a flight by Easy jet from Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Glasgow to London, and from London you can take a flight to Ljubljana, also by Easy jet.Hope this will be helpful for you!
If you decide to come, then I wish you a great time in our small, but very beautiful country! :wink:
There are also WizzAir flights from Luton to Ljubljana. I have booked my accommodation in the city for next April. I am just waiting for EasyJet or WizzAir to release their flights, which should be in the next month or so.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.