Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
how about you help us help you... please list what you like/dislike about the resorts you have been to and what you want as a family from a holiday, this will give the boys and girls something to work with

yasus
wizard
Ok,there will only be me and my wife, we like nice beaches to walk on ,resorts with nice walks,quite a bit of life and a bit of bussle but not OTT,close proximity to other resorts so they can be visited on bus or taxi,not into really tacky places but dont want somewhere too stuffy.hotels with spacious sun terraces.

This will be a new experience - when we go Spain we know what to expect but we dont have a clue about Greece.
Greece is a great place for couples. Generally speaking the harder it is to get to an island (eg no airport) the more beautiful and unspoilt it is. Try Thassos or Spetse, both lovely. Although it's bigger, and has an airport, Skiathos is also fabulous. Try to keep away from the main tourist areas wherever you go, and hire a car for a few days so you can explore.
Have a look at Roda in Corfu -

Steve

edit by wizard
I'll second Corfu. My recommendation would be Kassiopi - look at the resort reprts to give you an idea of what's what.
San Stefanos NW is nice on Corfu, nice beach, shallow water. Lovely restaurants, Skiathos is lovely lots of beaches easy on bus. We stay in town lovely harbour, and bus to the beaches, none are far away.
Hi Wayne

We went to Santorini as a couple a year ago and it was lovely and hot, quite quiet but with a few retaurants and bars down by the seafront. There's some nice accommodation there. We hired a quad bike and travelled the island as it's not very big! It was a really pretty island and has lots to do - lots of archeology there, an active volcano to visit and beautiful sunsets! Take a boat trip out to the caldera and experience the sunset over the tip of the island, or watch it from Oia at the tip of the island.

We stayed in Perissa which was nice, but also travelled to Kamari which was a bit busier.

Depends on what you like!?
Although I loved Crete, the place I would personally recommend is Skiathos.

It is perfect for couples and families, have an abundance of beaches to try, skiathos town itself is fab at night with a great harbour and lots of little streets with shops and places to eat and drink and is just right in terms of a buzz without being OTT!

Hire a jeep/car for a few days and visit the other side of the island - just great!

Jan
There are many places to see in Greece and many Greek Islands.

You have many websites on the web with a lot of information and pictures.
For me, the best are greeka.com created by Alexis and also greecetravel.com by Matt.

Also, on Greeka, you can see many locations by popularity: greeka.com/popular-destinations.htm
This can be a good start to organize a trip. Just note, that if you are interested in islands, try to stay as much as possible in the same group of islands as all islands are not connected between them. A good website for ferries is ferriesingreece.com
Me and OH have just booked to go to Greece in July, this will be our 1st trip there. We have booked the Aristomensis Studios in Lourdas, Kefalonia. We wanted fairly quiet, walking distance, within a mile to restaurants, tavernas and beach
Hope we have mad a good choice, has anybody got any information to help us with this.
Thanks
Lourdas is nice and quiet, nice beach. steep hill out of resort with nice restaurants etc, not too far too skala
Lourdas resort is made up of the villages of Vlahata, Lourdata and Lourdas where the beach is.
Arisomensis studio's are in the village of Vlahata on a small side road, it is very close to several Tavernas and some small supermarkets.
We think the best places to eat are La Mer, Andromeda, The Olive Lounge and Spiros (avoid anything in filo here as can be a bit soggy, but the rest is great, sorry for the comment Spiros, we love you and your Taverna). Down by the Seafront in Lourdas we like Klimatis and Lorraines Magic hill.

Going down the road that passes the turn off for your apartment you will eventually arrive at Trapezaki Beach where there is another lovely Taverna.
The long beach stretches from Lourdas to Trapezaki and you can walk easily between the two, our favourite section is somewhere in the middle and is called Kanali.
You can also reach Kanali down a track that starts not far from your apartment.
There is a beach bus that runs during main season between Trapezaki and Lourdas, via Vlahata and Lourdata.

Vlahata and all the surrounding area is on a steepish hill, we have never minded the walk down to the beach, you just have to take your time in the heat.
On the way down to Lourdas seafront you pass through Lourdata which has a huge plane tree in the square and a traditional coffee house run by a Welshman and his Greek wife.
Great place to stop for a morning Coffee, with a lovely view.
Should have mentioned that you will have passed the Astra bar a bit before which serves breakfast and has internet, set in gardens and a good place for an evening drink.
The walk from your apartment to the beach takes about 15mins, but we love the walk and stopping on the way.

Your apartment has its own website aristomenisstudios.com
We think you will like Lourdas, it is laid back, but has a bit of life in a couple of Music bars, no larger louts and amazing views.
If you want to get the most out of the Island car hire is advised, it is such a beautiful place.
Would not go on any trips with Thomas cook, as they are pricey for what you get, much better to go and explore yourselves.

Nearby on the road to the capitol Argostoli is Saint Georges Castle (Kastro), worth a visit for the views and lovely cafe just outside its walls.
Regular Ferry between Argostoli and Lixouri peninsula, cheap and takes about 15mins.
I am sure you will find plenty to do.
Marias supermarket (lovely Woman) has a small map of the village for free in her shop.
Have a lovely Holiday, we will be in Vlahata too for the last week of June and first two weeks of July.
First time ?

Try Pefkos - RHODES,(next to Lindos).
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.