Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Isn't it dreadful?
(The last I heard there was five fatalities and one person missing.)
Those poor, poor people, and their poor families.
Horrific.
Our thoughts are with all the people in Albuferia. So shocking for them.
We send our condolenses.
RTP TV news are saying the family came from Porto.

They also say - and have shown the remains - that there were signs in Portugeuse and English warning that the cliffs were unstable and to stay clear of them. Portugual is known to be vunerable to medium earthquakes (Lisbon was once destroyed by one) and tremors will cause rockfalls at unstable cliffs.
Such a tragedy, and the fact that four of the five fatalities are from one family....!
Oh, it's just awful.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/portugal/6072944/Family-killed-in-landslide-at-Portuguese-resort.html

May they rest in peace.
There was an earthquake on Tuesday 18th Out at sea in the Gulf of Cadiz, it was 4.1 on the richter scale , so maybe that could have had something to do with this rockfall
Really tragic, I feel for the persons involved, it must have been truly awful.
Jayjan

You're probably right, there was a mention of a quake a few days earlier but I didn't catch where. They say the far western Algarve (Lagos-Sagres) is more at risk of this. The lesson is simple - if the signs say stay away then do as you're told!
Steve have a look at this weblink it gives daily seisomology reports, where and when they happened & how strong, they also have a good weather forecast section.
http://www.meteo.pt/en/sismologia/actividade/
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.