General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Sounds wonderful Rosalyn - a trip of a lifetime! :cheers
There is only one problem that I can think of - neither of us is particularly keen on chinese food

Sounds an amazing trip! But never, ever, confuse the 'Chinese' food that you get here from your average takeaway or Chinese restaurant with what you can expect in Hong Kong or China. Most of it will be a bastardised version of Cantonese cooking adapted to local tastes here and in Shanghai and Beijing you're much more likely to get the real thing. There are large variations in regional cooking styles and true Beijing style is very different from the Cantonese style most commonly available here and Shanghai style is different again.

So when staying over in Beijing, don't be surprised if you get your soup in the middle of the meal or just before the sweet course! I can stand the thick gloopy soup that most takeaways and Chinese Restaurants serve up here in Scotland. I'm used to Chinese soups being very thin and light and served between different stages of a big meal to cleanse the palate - a bit like the French might serve a sharp tasting sorbet after a rich meal and before an equally rich pudding or dessert.

Enjoy and sounds as if you are celebrating your 40th in style :D

SM
  • Edited by SMa 2010-08-26 11:23:54
Have a great time, and warmest congratulations to you and your husband! xx
It sounds lovely, Rosalyn, lots of interesting places. I bet you can't wait.
You lucky thing, a trip of a lifetime, warmest wishes for your Ruby Wedding.....Caz
Thanks all. Holiday is in February and I will definitely be posting a review on our return. Might even set up a blog for people to follow.
Wishing you a fantastic time, you lucky girl. We have just celebrated our 40th in Tenerife
and although it was nowhere near as exotic or exciting as yours will be, it really doesn't matter
where you are as long as you are happy together. 1970 was a very good year, eh?
P.S. Hope the blog won't be too revealing! :rofl
WOW....that sounds absolutaly fabulous.....hope you have a great time... :cheers and congratulations to you and your hubby
Hope the blog won't be too revealing!

What do you mean!!!!! ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.