General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
A Bit Upset
14 Posts
Hi Suzie,
How awful for them. I bet you're feeling bad too although when you recommended the hotel you obviously had no idea this was going to happen. How are they bearing up, do you know? Where did this happen and did they call the police? So sorry for them.
This happened to my sister when on honeymoon in Barbados years ago. They had spent the afternoon in the bar watching England playing in the world cup. Being a bit worse for wear they decided on a late siesta. Lkily neither of them woke up when the intruder was there, as things could have been worse. They had their camera and money pinched & the police didn't want to know.
A horrible event for them Suzie - but you could not possibly have forseen this when you recommended the hotel. I hope that they don't suffer too much because of it.
An unfortunate incident but you were not to know this would happen when you recommended the hotel. I hope they get over the shock quickly. Where were they staying??

A few years ago, we were in Tenerife when a single mum and her 2 kids had thier apartment broken into during the night. The young lad, aged only about 10 actually woke up and chased him with a saucepan in his hand (!) and he jumped over the balcony into the courtyard before running away from the security guards on the complex. The poor woman had all her money and passports stolen but she was more upset about the fact that her lad had actually gone to tackle the intruder with a saucepan aged only 10..I mean the guy could have had a knife or owt.
Anyway, the local police said there werent much they could do as there was a crimewave of this sort of thing and pickpocketing too..all done by the African immigrants that were arriving by the boatload daily and were allowed to stay.
Thanks gals, I knew you would have something helpful and positive to say.
I am concerned how they will sleep tonight - but I bet they are glad to be home - safe and sound!
Oh goodness that is horrific, i know i wouldn`t sleep well at all for few nights if that was me. Poor ladies xx
OMG I hope they are ok and informed the hotel management!! What a terrible ordeal for them both. I sincerely hope this doesn't put them off travelling.
Yep. The police came but they still had to go to the Police Station to make a report.
Their taxi was picking them up for their flight home at 10am.
Amazing what can be done in 3 hours - woken up by a stranger in their hotel room, robbed, a visit from the police,
a trip to the Police Station (probably taking the scenic route!) and still they were in time for the last bus (taxi) home!!!!
At least they did get home.
Hi,

That is awful, don't think I would be able to sleep again after that!!

Would it be ok to let us all know where this hotel was & the name of it. My daughter & I are going away alone to apartments on monday, never done this before always been with hubby.

Not sure if the forum rules would allow but I expect others would like to be informed if possible.

Thank you, hope your friends are ok.
I'm sat here reading this and I can't help asking several questions
Was the accommodation on ground level.?
Was the balcony door left open or was it closed and locked, and the entry forced.?

Sanji
Top floor. They left their door open onto their balcony during the night because aircon not sufficient.
OK, I know we all would say that is not recommended but they are not 'seasoned' travellers and they
didn't even think anything could go wrong, especially being so high up.
P.S. Luckily, she had travel insurance but she will lose £50 excess for the loss and money AND £50 excess
for the loss of belongings so £100 goes out of the window (along with the thief!).
Goes to show, you don't know how good (or bad) your holiday insurance is until you make a claim.
She has since been advised to make the claim through her house/contents insurance who were a lot more helpful than
her Banks' travel insurance! Don't know how this will affect her in the future though, do you?
She has heard nothing from the hotel since her return. I appreciate it is not directly their fault but it would have been nice
for them to have shown a bit of concern. I will ask her if I can name the hotel.
thats terrible where did this happen.?

I would panic if that happened to me..Im hoping we are getting the room we have requested when we go on the 5th aug..I alsways ask for a high floor,mind you like it can happen anytime anywhere.they were so Damned unlucky..so sorry about that..hope there ok. :O(
How sad and unfortunate :(

We're going away in August and our apartments aren't air conditioned. Under no circumstances are we leaving the verandah doors open. I'd never be able to rest again if I woke up to find someone in my room.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.