Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
accodiphillus ?
16 Posts
Hi Bushbaby, the tablets are called Acidiphillous and can be bought in Holland and Barrett. Cost about £7.00 for 100, but you will get them quite a lot on special offer. As far as I know Boots and other chemists dont sell them.
Start taking them a month before you go, 2 a day.
thanks gemma - i'll get them om monday then!
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/categories.asp?cid=145&left=1

Will give you an idea what youre looking for. They dont appear to be on special offer at the moment, but they are still reasonable enough prices.
You can get Pre & Probiotics in Goa a little bit cheaper than the UK

I was put on antibiotics whilst out there and also told to take one a day Vi Bact capsules they cost 70 Rps for ten also had to take B plus vitamins at 12 rps for ten
Do any of these things help prevent stomach upsets?I had always assumed that most upsets were due to poor personal and food hygiene.

Papa
For those thinking of taking these accidophlus or any of the digestive aids,have a look (google) ZIPVIT. Its a mail order firm and I think it explains all about the benefits of each product....not sure about the prices as I've never bothered taking any of them so would'nt no what to compare them to.....
cheers Keith
From what I under stand they are like taking vitamins, useful if you are on a very dodgy diet or if you have been ill and got run down but a total waste of space if you are a normal healthy person eating a reasonably balanced diet

Dehydration can also cause an upset stomach, particularly if you are on malaria tablets
Before you go berserk and start gobbling down tablets for a month before you go, thinking they will keep you out of the loo at inconvenient times whilst in Goa, there are far more practical steps to take. You already know what they are.
Beware of tap water, ice in drinks, reheated food. Take gel hand cleaner and a small bag of antisceptic wipes for your room loo and door handles. Watch out for dehydration due to alcohol excess and strong sun.
Sometimes I get annoyed at promotion of non pharmaceutical remedies, mainly by applying the golden rule, which is 'if they actually worked, everybody would use them'.
A member here once said that she swore by a herbal remedy for malaria prevention.
Lester

I do think you said it so much better than what I tried to imply but I must say I do like the electronic bats that zap the mossies, so much more satisfying to see them fry and know there are a few less than to just believe you are safe because you popped a pill as well.
Acidophillus does work well for me and the OH when we go to Goa, when most peeps around us have tummy bugs etc, but we obviously use common sense re water, ice cubes, washing fruit etc ;) They are also good to take when using antibiotics as they protect the stomach lining :)
Not wanting to shoot anyone down here but re my previous post it seems that most stomach upsets are caused by poor hygeine etc.

I continue to be unimpressed by continual TV advertising for products that contain so called friendly bacteria.

Snake oil salesmen is a phrase that comes to mind.

Sorry if any of you perceive a benefit from this stuff but I suppose it is just the cynic in me.

Papa
Adding to my post above, there is one other complete failure of logical thought that is often displayed in discussions like this. It goes something like this:-
I took preventive medicine X. I was not ill. Therefore medicine X works.
Some tips I adhere to when in hot/humid countries.. I have a dodgy stomach.

Dehydration causes a lot of problems, drink AT LEAST 2 litres of water a day if you can.

Keep your hands clean although that will not help you if there is an unclean chef.

Don't over eat during the day, wait till evening for a big meal.

If you get a gastro' bug drink Enerzal or equivalent rehydration salts (alternative is hospital drip if you don't). They are very cheap and you get different flavours, mix with water.

Don't eat in restaurants where there are very few people, you may be getting days old masala gravy served up in your curry.
Don't eat in restaurants where there are very few people, you may be getting days old masala gravy served up in your curry

A problem in quite a few restaurants this season.

Papa
ignore all the suppliments. Personal care with hygiene is most reliable, hand wash or use antibacterial wipes after handling money and before eating. General self care and hydration are paramount.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.