Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Hi, have a look on http://www.travelrepublic.co.uk they may have something for your dates.

bamburghsue
Hi,

On travel republic the Dom Pedro Golf is available for your dates at £871.

Gail
Take a look at Thomson Holidays - Hotels only. They do have some hotels available at between £600 - £700 for the two of you. You could also look at Owners Direct just in case there is some late availability on an apartment.

I would suggest that perhaps you look at Lagos or Alvor. Albufeira will be very busy and Vilamoura is very much a purpose built Golf resort - I like it though!! Lagos and Alvor should fit the bill nicely - and that end of the Algarve is lovely with all the little coves and perhaps also not be quite so busy in the peak season.

Let us know how you get on.

Pippa
Thanks so much for your reply, think thats a great price for Dom Pedro Golf, a friend of mine in work is trying to encorage me to go to Vilamoura, I am not into golf though :think !!

I would also love to try Alvor or Lagos but I think I will hang on till next year and rent a car so we can see more of these places. I think I will try the D.P. Golf, Gail have you stayed there is it nice?? Any tips re booking what type of room to go for. The Dom Pedro own website is not that good and I cant find an option to actually book the hotel on it?! I usually rather hotel own website because I hate lifts and generally like to request a low floor, can you do that with the agents like Travel republic?

Thanks a million for your replies has helped loads as I was ready to give up and stay at home last night!!
You can make requests through Travel Republic - they are not guaranteed though. Always best to email the hotel as well.

A word of warning - not all the rooms at the Dom Pedro Golf have balconies. You will need to upgrade to get a balcony and sea view. Check out reviews on Trip Advisor - some of the recent ones are not that good.

We have stayed at the Dom Pedro Marina which is very close and that was very nice - mind you we did get upgraded to a suite free of charge!!

Pippa
Hi Pippa,

Do you think we woud be better to try the DP Marina instead? I didnt see it on the Travel Republic website as available, who did you book it with. its such a maze when youve never been in an area before ..

thanksfor all your help
Try freedomdirect.co.uk & hotelopia.co.uk they may have something. The Vila Gale Marina is a nice hotel it is only a street back from the Marina, but it looks a bit on the expensive side. The Vila Gale Ampalius is also a nice hotel. The website for these two hotels is http://www.vilagale.pt
There's an apartment on the marina with marina views (no air cond but you may not need it with being on the front) £433 http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/vilamoura/61858
We booked (I think) the DP Marina with Medhotels - it was a few years ago.
Personally I think you would be better looking for an apartment - it should be quite a lot cheaper and you can please yourself what you do and when!!

Pippa
Thanks a lot for that link Glynis I have emailed them, waiting for reply...
If you dont have any luck with getting accommodation in Vilamoura as its peak season. You could try the Marina club apartments in Lagos. Lagos will be fine for a young couple in August as it has a buzz to it and you have hundreds of bars and restaurants. might be too quiet out of season.

You could probably manage with a studio at the Marina Club which should keep the cost down, especially as its just a week.

We booked ours through wintersunshineholidays web-site last year, but a few of the accomm only sites do the Marina Club. It's well located and has a nice pool, try to get a pool facing room lots of the others face a road.

Good Luck, hope you get something sorted.
Try holidaylets we've used them before for rentals from private owners. There's an apartment available for your dates for £468.50 for 1 week. Aircon rental also available. It looks like it's near the strip.

Good luck
hey all
tried that apartment you linked me to glynis but it was booked out. got a few links for apartments from my friend whose dad has a place there but still no avail so last sunday night I decided to go with the Dom Pedro Marina we got a sea view room it cost me more money than I can actually believe. I am trying to blank it out :really Anyway hopefully it will be worth it and we will have a good time.We ve been havin a rough year so have fingers crossed this is just what we need for a big chill out. I always enjoy the Algarve so heres to good weather and a good rest!!!
Next year I will be more organised and plan more than 2 weeks in advance :whoops !!

thanks everyone for all your help. I am heading off this sat.. any last minute tips for DP Marina or Vilamoura.
Hi all

Sorry for very late reply. Just to give you a bit of info on my trip. Arrived at Don Pedro Marina and overall was not impressed with Villamoura. My opinion is that it was a very Portugese resort, in the sense that I felt like a bit of an alien. It is based around a Marina where there are a lot of restaurant but not a lot in the way of bars in the resort sense. It is quite upmarket too and a bit expensive. It was probably also just a bad time all round to be there(ie the main holiday season in August). It was to busy and I felt uncomfortable there pretty much as soon as I got there.

Was disappointed with DP Marina too. The pool was so small it was like a puddle and again I felt I was one of the very few non Portugese people there. Not that I have anything against portugese people dont get me wrong, it is just I felt the people I encountered in Villamoura were a little bit snobby and I felt they did not welcome internationals too much.

Also there was a lot of noise from a nightclub on the beach across the road from hotel and so I decided to move hotel after two days.

I do feel Villamoura is prob a better place to be off season or certainly if your into golf and so wont be hanging around the resort the whole time but its not really for me, perhaps for three or four days ...

Im sure others have had good experiences here but that was just mine that I wanted to share,
thanks to everyone for all your help it was great!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.